Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up X100D Saturday, went to service Tuesday!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslas are expensive cars, but expensive in a substantially different way than ICE cars being compared to here: It is all about the battery. I like to think of a $100,000 Tesla as a $40,000 car with a $60,000 battery. That way I can live with minor quality niggles that would be entirely unacceptable on a regular $100,000 ICE car.

Reactions: OBX John
Teslas are expensive cars, but expensive in a substantially different way than ICE cars being compared to here: It is all about the battery. I like to think of a $100,000 Tesla as a $40,000 car with a $60,000 battery. That way I can live with minor quality niggles that would be entirely unacceptable on a regular $100,000 ICE car.

Mknox, thanks for that perspective. Even if this was a 40k car, the potential body work / paint should be disclosed--let alone the laundry list of other quality issues we are facing. I hope Tesla is not using this train of thought for making excuses for poor quality control.

From what we gather from the numerous posts about a Chevy Volt is that for the 40k price point you do actually get all the quality measures and you're not paying an extra 60k for the battery. I also understand that Chevrolet has clearly been around a lot longer then Tesla and and as a company they have had time to figure out quality control, but again this to us as consumers is not an excuse for not disclosing body work / extensive paint work on a new car.

For better or for worse, I do not accept that the Model X is actually a 40k car, but because of the 60k battery, we should live with all of its faults--because we paid 100k. Again, for a lot of people paying 100k and having 40k worth of expectations may be acceptable. I would hope Tesla would want us to not deal with the minor (as well as major) quality issues as you've pointed out that you are also forced to live with. Thanks.

Mknox, thanks for that perspective. Even if this was a 40k car, the potential body work / paint should be disclosed--let alone the laundry list of other quality issues we are facing. I hope Tesla is not using this train of thought for making excuses for poor quality control.

From what we gather from the numerous posts about a Chevy Volt is that for the 40k price point you do actually get all the quality measures and you're not paying an extra 60k for the battery. I also understand that Chevrolet has clearly been around a lot longer then Tesla and and as a company they have had time to figure out quality control, but again this to us as consumers is not an excuse for not disclosing body work / extensive paint work on a new car.

For better or for worse, I do not accept that the Model X is actually a 40k car, but because of the 60k battery, we should live with all of its faults--because we paid 100k. Again, for a lot of people paying 100k and having 40k worth of expectations may be acceptable. I would hope Tesla would want us to not deal with the minor (as well as major) quality issues as you've pointed out that you are also forced to live with. Thanks.
You shouldn't accept it. It is just weird how customers spend 100k on a car that creaks or shudders or often has them at the service center...
and they say: Best car ever! o_O Fans here keep saying that you can't go by the complainers on a forum, but isn't the reliability rating
for the Model X now at the bottom? Tesla responds with: We have excellent customer satisfaction! Sorry, that doesn't answer the question
as to the problems plaguing a vehicle. It's not some phantom thing. Why can't Tesla square this away? I hate reading these stories.

Would also be curious to know if it's normal.

One theory, could be that they intentionally put less paint on the doors (particularly the FWDs) due to the hidden sensors. We have pretty good evidence that Tesla is cautious against adding any thickness to those doors. Whether that be wraps, re-paints, etc. they discourage it.

So if you see the same pattern on multiple cars it could even be by design.

Nick

One theory, could be that they intentionally put less paint on the doors (particularly the FWDs) due to the hidden sensors. We have pretty good evidence that Tesla is cautious against adding any thickness to those doors. Whether that be wraps, re-paints, etc. they discourage it.

Nick
That doesn't make sense to me, as through all of my research and asking Tesla people seemed to indicate that the sensors are in the black plastic mouldings around the car, not behind the paint. I don't think paint thickness then, should have any impact on the sensors. Even the service centers said it was totally fine to add PPF to the car.

Nick

I'm not so sure about that theory as the paint measures similar thickness in cars of other marquis as the door but only our rear panel / trunk measure 2.5x as much. Also the dealership said we can wrap it and it will not affect any sensors.

You already guessed it. They will say it is "normal" and within their specs. Like ghosting windshields, shudder, AC condenser/fan noise, misaligned panels, leather defects, heading etc.

I recently sent them a video w/ audio of my AC making hilarious loud noises that it had never made before (I've had the car for 18 months or so and 20k miles) and they replied "this is normal. you must not have noticed it before. we won't do anything."

Good luck.

You sir deserve a prize--they said what you said almost spot on. I wonder if they employ bots? In regards to the paint the manager said he spoke to the quality assessment team and I should rest assured that my car was completely fine and met all quality assessment standards. They have no answer as to if or why my car reads higher in certain panels as if it was painted 3x as much.

Obviously I am IRATE. The car had so many quality assurance failures including missing parts, steering wheel off axis, horn not working, falcon doors destroying back seat...etc...that clearly their definition of quality assurance is NOT the industry standard.

As such, I have opted to initiate a buy back. This whole experience is a joke...

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Doesn't matter the entire car reads in the 130-160 range except for the back (included pics show the trunk as well as rear quarters)...I have dozens of pics I can post if you'd like as well as a video walk around of the whole car showing the same :(. The more I'm reading the more I'm sure its been repainted.

In my past life I owned a car dealership. I'll dig around my garage and see if I can find my paint gauge and measure my X to compare, or someone else can for that matter. In my experience, different materials read different depths, bc they aren't painted in the same places under same conditions. Also plastic bounces readings differently than aluminum, steel, etc etc. simply can't compare plastic readings vs aluminum etc etc. can't compare an apple to an orange and expect the same.

To me, the fact that both doors read exactly 130 is telling. Would be tough for a shop to do and not have a 134 vs 131, 139 vs 137, etc etc.

I cringe every time I see this exact statement regurgitated. It’s a 100k car. Not a 40k car

Is the model 3 a -5k car with a 60k battery?

It’s up to Tesla owners to hold Tesla accountable for their shortcomings. If you don’t the poor practices and quality assurance will continue.

I cringe every time I see this exact statement regurgitated. It’s a 100k car. Not a 40k car

Is the model 3 a -5k car with a 60k battery?

It’s up to Tesla owners to hold Tesla accountable for their shortcomings. If you don’t the poor practices and quality assurance will continue.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think @mknox is trying to make a valid point. The more I've been thinking about it, I think I may have a better way to put it into perspective.

Some people buy a 100k car for it's performance and luxury. Others will buy a 100k car for bleeding-edge technology. (Honestly, only tesla really fills that niche right now.) People who are buying teslas at 100k and expecting luxury are sorely disappointed because tesla isn't in the business of making top-of-the-line luxury cars. They're in the business of industry disruption through rapid iterations and changes of cutting-edge technology.

Prior to tesla's model S and X (imo), a 100k car only fit the bill of an incredible luxury vehicle with great performance and fit and finish. That was the defacto standard of what it meant to own a car in that price range.

So while I agree that defects should not be tolerated, people (if they're going to be happy with a tesla) need to adjust their expectation of craftsmanship. Don't misunderstand me. Defective things are NOT OKAY. No one should have to put up a faulty AC, faulty doors, cars stalling out in the middle of the road with errors, airbag errors and other things that make the car undrivable. Tesla needs to get on top of that. However, people need to realize that tesla never promised a luxury vehicle of superb fit and finish (at least I never got that impression). Tesla promised people a revolution in which they get INSANE vehicle performance while turning the oil industry completely up-side-down. Slap that together into a car with a HUGE touch screen, amazing technology and decent materials ... well that's your model S and X. The X even moreso because of things like auto-opening/closing doors, a huge windshield and FWDs.

So which camp are you in? If you're not buying into the new tech and great range while being free from gas, then you're buying the wrong car. People who are expecting MB S-class (though I've been in them and while they're nice I don't think they're absolutely amazing) or Lexus LS/LX (I think they're some of the best fit-and-finish vehicles out there) will most likely be disappointed. I'm normally in the camp of Lexus fit-and-finish, but I'm giving it up because the engineer and car enthusiast in me just wants a toy to play with that is really an engineering marvel.

Disclaimer: I don't have my car yet. It could be a huge lemon and I'll have to deal with it when the time comes. That being said, I hope I have set the right expectations so I don't get off on the wrong foot. I'm not going to go over door panels and chrome finishes with a ruler. I will however, make one concession that I won't stand for, and that would be cabin noise @outie I feel your pain. If my car had those popping noises, I would be making a huge stink too!!

That doesn't make sense to me, as through all of my research and asking Tesla people seemed to indicate that the sensors are in the black plastic mouldings around the car, not behind the paint. I don't think paint thickness then, should have any impact on the sensors. Even the service centers said it was totally fine to add PPF to the car.

Check out the initial launch video for the X and they explain they invented a new ultrasonic that works through metal. The same can be seen in patent filings.

The “LikeTesla” YouTube channel also got a certified body shop to show the inside of the door including the proximity sensor in the middle of the door panel.

Lots of folks (myself included) have ppf. That doesn’t mean the actual engineers would expect it to work reliably.

Nick

Check out the initial launch video for the X and they explain they invented a new ultrasonic that works through metal. The same can be seen in patent filings.

The “LikeTesla” YouTube channel also got a certified body shop to show the inside of the door including the proximity sensor in the middle of the door panel.

Lots of folks (myself included) have ppf. That doesn’t mean the actual engineers would expect it to work reliably.

Nick
I thought they changed the door sensors at some point after initial launch? The sales guy I've been working with seems extremely knowledgeable and hasn't said anything incorrect yet, so I'm wondering if something changed later. The LikeTesla people got one of the first ones didn't they? I thought it was updated well after that. I could be totally wrong though.

Also it's weird that all tesla employees so far have said it's 100% safe to have PPF on the doors since the sensors weren't located there.

You sir deserve a prize--they said what you said almost spot on. I wonder if they employ bots? In regards to the paint the manager said he spoke to the quality assessment team and I should rest assured that my car was completely fine and met all quality assessment standards. They have no answer as to if or why my car reads higher in certain panels as if it was painted 3x as much.

Obviously I am IRATE. The car had so many quality assurance failures including missing parts, steering wheel off axis, horn not working, falcon doors destroying back seat...etc...that clearly their definition of quality assurance is NOT the industry standard.

As such, I have opted to initiate a buy back. This whole experience is a joke...

What car do you plan on replacing the X with?

Glad you made a choice that will bring you more happiness in the end.

Tesla's are special cars. Special in great ways and not so great ways. While I have been fortunate to experience next to no pain, I think my tolerance would be pretty high to keep one.

It is just weird how customers spend 100k on a car that creaks or shudders or often has them at the service center...
and they say: Best car ever! o_O Fans here keep saying that you can't go by the complainers on a forum, but isn't the reliability rating
for the Model X now at the bottom? Tesla responds with: We have excellent customer satisfaction! Sorry, that doesn't answer the question
as to the problems plaguing a vehicle. It's not some phantom thing. Why can't Tesla square this away? I hate reading these stories.

Isn't it weird how people just make random derogatory stuff up about owners of cars they don't even own themselves?

Actually, if there is any truth in your stereotype Tesla "fan" it's that some people are more able than others to separate often trivial "quality" issues from the overall driving experience. So it's quite possible to have the "best car ever" and still have some issues with it. Some cars are beautifully built, but just dull to own and drive. At least Tesla are starting from a better point in designing a truly amazing car, since QC issues are easier to work on than a fundamentally poor and dated design (turd polishing etc). For all your negativity, Model X quality has been improved significantly over the last 2 years, so Tesla are not ignoring these QC issues even if they are struggling to completely eradicate them.

My experience of other car forums is that lemons are a thing everywhere you look - even Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, along with certain owners who find fault with almost everything they touch. But the one thing missing on those forums are a bunch of non-owners joining in with heckling on every negative thread. That is fairly unique to Tesla for some reason, whether it's hatred of change, new tech, EV's in general, Musk, Tesla, paid trolling or simple jealousy!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TexasRat
Isn't it weird how people just make random derogatory stuff up about owners of cars they don't even own themselves?

Actually, if there is any truth in your stereotype Tesla "fan" it's that some people are more able than others to separate often trivial "quality" issues from the overall driving experience. So it's quite possible to have the "best car ever" and still have some issues with it. Some cars are beautifully built, but just dull to own and drive. At least Tesla are starting from a better point in designing a truly amazing car, since QC issues are easier to work on than a fundamentally poor and dated design (turd polishing etc). For all your negativity, Model X quality has been improved significantly over the last 2 years, so Tesla are not ignoring these QC issues even if they are struggling to completely eradicate them.

My experience of other car forums is that lemons are a thing everywhere you look - even Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, along with certain owners who find fault with almost everything they touch. But the one thing missing on those forums are a bunch of non-owners joining in with heckling on every negative thread. That is fairly unique to Tesla for some reason, whether it's hatred of change, new tech, EV's in general, Musk, Tesla, paid trolling or simple jealousy!
Can you please take your vendetta elsewhere? The OP has a new X and has quality issues and issues dealing with Tesla. Put the guy on your ignore list, for chrissakes.

Some people buy a 100k car for it's performance and luxury. Others will buy a 100k car for bleeding-edge technology...

Prior to tesla's model S and X (imo), a 100k car only fit the bill of an incredible luxury vehicle with great performance and fit and finish. That was the defacto standard of what it meant to own a car in that price range...

Tesla promised people a revolution in which they get INSANE vehicle performance while turning the oil industry completely up-side-down. Slap that together into a car with a HUGE touch screen, amazing technology and decent materials ... well that's your model S and X. The X even moreso because of things like auto-opening/closing doors, a huge windshield and FWDs.

So which camp are you in? If you're not buying into the new tech and great range while being free from gas, then you're buying the wrong car. ...

Yes, this is a very good way to explain it and is what I was trying to get at in my "$40k car / $60k battery" analogy. Before my 2013 Model S, I had a Cadillac CTS and I felt that the Caddy was better in just about every way except for the drive-train. I wanted electric and I actually had my heart set on a Cadillac ELR bit was disappointed with the electric range and price point it came in at. The only car that would let me do an all-electric commute was the Model S. I had more problems with my Model S than every other car I ever owned... combined. But, for me at least Tesla service was over the top outstanding at getting me fixed and going again. I drove the Model S for 5 years and 100,000 miles before trading in on the X. I guess what I'm saying is that I went in eyes open and had my expectation level set. I surely do get that others may have the bar set at a completely different level for a car this expensive, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: paperjohn
In my past life I owned a car dealership. I'll dig around my garage and see if I can find my paint gauge and measure my X to compare, or someone else can for that matter. In my experience, different materials read different depths, bc they aren't painted in the same places under same conditions. Also plastic bounces readings differently than aluminum, steel, etc etc. simply can't compare plastic readings vs aluminum etc etc. can't compare an apple to an orange and expect the same.

To me, the fact that both doors read exactly 130 is telling. Would be tough for a shop to do and not have a 134 vs 131, 139 vs 137, etc etc.

If you look closely you will see that the rear panels all measure in the 350 range. I would not bring it up if it was a 120-150 issue really. Its just VERY odd when the paint meter reads almost 2-3x as much on specific panels akin to an accident.