Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking the right color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking the right color is something difficult. Seeing the cars in person may be difficult as the dealership may not have existing inventory in all colors. Then configuring the car on teslas website does not give very detailed pictures. Then comes the topic of keeping the car clean.

In our personal case: We are leaning towards the silver (my wife prefers that) or the white (my choice). Our main concern with the white is that it will get dirty very quickly and will require us to do washes more than once a month (car would be garaged).

Any thoughts on this? Pictures of how the cars look over time? Time keeping cars clean? Coating recommended? Etc.

Note that I want to keep this thread reusable and do not intend to make this necessarily a debate on white vs silver. Any feedback / pictures etc on any color would be appreciated. We are also open to other colors.

Thanks!

Picking the right color is something difficult. Seeing the cars in person may be difficult as the dealership may not have existing inventory in all colors. Then configuring the car on teslas website does not give very detailed pictures. Then comes the topic of keeping the car clean.

The "right color" is a personal opinion. For me and my wife, our first Tesla had to be something other than black, grey or white (not colors) or red (not our favorite) and at the time, that's all they offered. We ended up spending $thousands and chose a custom chocolate pearl, which is prettier than any other color they have ever offered, which is not just my opinion.

Black, white, and silver account for the great majority of choices for cars. OK. Fine. Didn't do it for me.

And ANY car can look like a trash heap if you don't clean it. If you don't like to spend 15 minutes a week, as I do with my dark colored cars, fine. Many people don't mind living in a trash heap and never clean out the inside, either. I can't stand that. My car always looked new.
Home sm.jpg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MrJones390
I haven't seen one in person, but both the pictures I've seen and the testimonials from owners say that the new pearl white is gorgeous. If you like white, except maybe for some of the "traditional" downsides, you should definitely check it out. The new midnight sliver is pretty darn slick, too. Then, of course, there's the best color... :)

I haven't seen one in person, but both the pictures I've seen and the testimonials from owners say that the new pearl white is gorgeous. If you like white, except maybe for some of the "traditional" downsides, you should definitely check it out. The new midnight sliver is pretty darn slick, too. Then, of course, there's the best color... :)
Oh you must mean my Midnight Silver Metallic....thank you! :)

There is no such thing as an unattractive Tesla, IMO . Even when dirty it looks good. ;)

If not wanting to wash it very often is your main requirement I'd go with silver.
Right now it is way too hot in Texas so I'm thrilled that my Silvia doesn't appear dirty. A spritz of a waterless mixture and wipe of a microfiber towel will keep things nice for a bit.

In our personal case: We are leaning towards the silver (my wife prefers that) or the white (my choice). Our main concern with the white is that it will get dirty very quickly and will require us to do washes more than once a month (car would be garaged).

Any thoughts on this? Pictures of how the cars look over time? Time keeping cars clean? Coating recommended? Etc.

Note that I want to keep this thread reusable and do not intend to make this necessarily a debate on white vs silver. Any feedback / pictures etc on any color would be appreciated. We are also open to other colors.

Thanks!
What about your wheels? My experience (YMMV) is that the white S makes the 19's look too small, while they seem to look fine with other colors. I don't know why white makes the body seem "thicker" to my eyes.

If you're planning on the 19's, I'd recommend a darker color. White is my personal preference for cars otherwise.

Reactions: JJoynt
FWIW, I have had both. Not in MS's, unfortunately... But I find silver to be easier. It's a little more forgiving because of it's fine 'texture'. I now have the midnight grey, which kind of does the same thing, but to black instead.

Black is my favorite color. But never again. Way too much work for an OCD like me!

I read elseshere that pearl white was pretty much the same as solid white