Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking the right color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biased, as my avatar pic shows... several people have commented that the silver on a refresh looks great, and I would have to agree. Living in MN, my main issue is dirt, particularly in winter, and my husband wanted a subtle color - silver nicely addresses both of those. I've had it four weeks now - not washed it yet, and you can't tell.

Nice. Would white hold up as well without washing? Also borderline on this. Never had a white car, but have had plenty of silver.

...Black, white, and silver account for the great majority of choices for cars. OK. Fine. Didn't do it for me...
I don't know about silver, but I would guess that since black and white are no extra cost colors for the Model S, it increases their popularity: save the $1000-$1500 and spend it on something more useful than a fancy color.

White is a bit cooler in summer and fairly high visibility, except in snow. For not showing dirt, I would think that Titanium metallic would be good and it is rather attractive when seen on an actual car. I never got the attraction of black.

I don't understand why Tesla doesn't have more colors and fewer versions of grey and black.

I don't know about silver, but I would guess that since black and white are no extra cost colors for the Model S, it increases their popularity: save the $1000-$1500 and spend it on something more useful than a fancy color.

White is a bit cooler in summer and fairly high visibility, except in snow. For not showing dirt, I would think that Titanium metallic would be good and it is rather attractive when seen on an actual car. I never got the attraction of black.

I don't understand why Tesla doesn't have more colors and fewer versions of grey and black.
They offer what people buy. They had green and brown and nobody bought them in that color.

They offer what people buy. They had green and brown and nobody bought them in that color.
Do they? I can see why brown didn't sell, but in the case of green, it was so dark it was yet another shade of black, so I don't think that one counts. At least with blue they went from blue-black to something that actually looks blue now. But why not some lighter shades?

Hmm, black, shiny black, dark grey-black, light grey-black, green-black, blue-black. Plus white, red, silver. Now also a rather nice, if still a bit dark, blue. I don't get it. Maybe it's a luxury car thing: colors too déclassé.

Last edited:
Do they? I can see why brown didn't sell, but in the case of green, it was so dark it was yet another shade of black, so I don't think that one counts. At least with blue they went from blue-black to something that actually looks blue now. But why not some lighter shades?

Hmm, black, shiny black, dark grey-black, light grey-black, green-black, blue-black. Plus white, red, silver. Now also a rather nice, if still a bit dark, blue. I don't get it. Maybe it's a luxury car thing: colors not allowed.
Have you told Tesla you wish they offered a specific color?

Have you told Tesla you wish they offered a specific color?
Tell whom? Elon? I don't think they have the slightest care about what I think, why should they? I'm just puzzled as to why they have so few colors and so many drab, boring, shades. Will they lighten things up for the somewhat downscale Model 3? Or will the choice again be red or dark blue?

Colors aside, I'd much rather they just fix the heater with a "heater-off" button; that mistake is really annoying. I can live with a base price white car. Color is a little thing. I just find Tesla's palette odd.

Hmm, black, shiny black, dark grey-black, light grey-black, green-black, blue-black. Plus white, red, silver. Now also a rather nice, if still a bit dark, blue. I don't get it. Maybe it's a luxury car thing: colors too déclassé.

The reason is simply because there's a cost associated with carrying inventory of each model and the more colorful varieties simply don't sell as well as the blacks, whites, and silvers.

Posted these in a couple of other threads, but this is after coating with Crystal Serum (work and photos courtesy of EM Detailing in Minneapolis):

Crystal1.jpg Crystal2.jpg Crystal3.jpg Crystal5.jpg

Reactions: mshuang
Guys,

Please feel free to post pictures (or include profiles etc). I saw some really nice pictures of the blue in a couple of other threads, looks very sweat.

Tesla showrooms I have been to have only one car. Vehicles for test drives are usually not that clean. The one I test drove was the blue and I actually did not like it that much. Pictures are helpful.

Feel free to include color of seats, headliners, coating/wrapping recommended (if any), how well the color maintain over time etc..

Thanks!!

Guys,

Please feel free to post pictures ... I saw some really nice pictures of the blue in a couple of other threads, looks very sweat.

My "Woo-hoo my new Tesla arrived OMG I'm so excited do you want to hear me tell you all about my new Tesla no well I'm gonna tell you
anyway now here's the thing you gotta love..." pics:
How many of us "Entered Production" on March 11th?
Hopefully more sweet than sweat ;)

Julesp313,
Thanks for posting the pictures. How much was the crystal serum coating? Thanks
$1,300 - it's a ceramic coating that helps dirt slide off and makes washing easier. I've had the car a month, drive it to a horse barn multiple times a week, and have been rained on countless times this month. Not washed it and you can't tell it's not been washed. But to each their own on what's worth doing, right?

XAV-
I can speak very clearly about the answer to your question. I have owned a pearl white Model S, and now I own a silver Model S. So I've lived with both, and I'm clean car freak. The actual reason we went with Silver Metallic on our second Tesla was specifically because the pearl white was a bit hard to keep clean. Something that no one has addressed here in their replies is the fact that because the Tesla has electric motors, it is quite literally a dust magnet. Think of how your old tv would attract dust. Any particles out there that are negatively charged will actually attach themselves to your car. Wash your car, go out for the day, come back and your Tesla has a layer of dust that is has 'magnetically' attracted to itself.The white car really showed this dust. All Teslas will do this, but we found the silver metallic to be good at hiding it. Sorry for the long explanation, but the answer to your question, from first hand experience is :Silver is a lot easier to keep clean than white.....on a Tesla.
Now if only Tesla would offer Carbon Ceramic Brakes like on our 911 Turbo. NO BRAKE DUST EVER! I'd pay anything for carbon ceramic brakes from Tesla. I hope the next roadster has them. They're lighter too, so why not?

Something that no one has addressed here in their replies is the fact that because the Tesla has electric motors, it is quite literally a dust magnet. Think of how your old tv would attract dust. Any particles out there that are negatively charged will actually attach themselves to your car. Wash your car, go out for the day, come back and your Tesla has a layer of dust that is has 'magnetically' attracted to itself.
I find this very hard to swallow. First of all, I doubt most road dust is particularly polar. Second of all, this would only be true if the entire vehicle had a net electric charge, which there's absolutely no reason it would. A much more likely source of static buildup would be simple friction with the air, but that would apply equally to any vehicle with the same exterior traveling at the same speed. Can you cite anything to support this claim?

I find this very hard to swallow. First of all, I doubt most road dust is particularly polar. Second of all, this would only be true if the entire vehicle had a net electric charge, which there's absolutely no reason it would. A much more likely source of static buildup would be simple friction with the air, but that would apply equally to any vehicle with the same exterior traveling at the same speed. Can you cite anything to support this claim?

Roger,
I'm not a scientist. However I've owned many cars in my life, the last two of which have been Teslas. They attract dust like no other car I've owned (which have been mostly black cars). It's that simple. Please other Tesla owners who are clean car freaks, you don't notice your Tesla attracts more dust than your other cars? Mine do. Scientific proof or not. Mine do. The silver one is easy to keep looking clean than the white one.

Nice. Would white hold up as well without washing? Also borderline on this. Never had a white car, but have had plenty of silver.

White holds up well without washing -- you'd have to get pretty close to notice the dirt unless it's splattered with mud. I've had several white cars and the only time I've ever felt like I needed to wash the car was when I had come back from skiing and all the dirt clung to the car.

I like the look of the facelifted cars in all colors. The white and silver look particularly sleek and futuristic. The Red and Deep Blue are vibrant.