Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up 22 long range Sunday!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read that they sometimes do not have all of the accessories that should come with the car when you pick it up. Like the back trunk cover, and adapter. What should I make sure I do receive when I pick the car up?

I already wired up the charger in my garage with a 60 amp subpanel. After reading many install threads I decided to use #4 copper wire for the new sub panel and #6 wire to the charger. This should allow me to charge at the max rate when needed.

If anyone has some advice on the S, let me know!!
In the real world, how far can you really go on 100 % charge, if I was to go on a long road trip?

Thank you!

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have read that they sometimes do not have all of the accessories that should come with the car when you pick it up. Like the back trunk cover, and adapter. What should I make sure I do receive when I pick the car up?

I already wired up the charger in my garage with a 60 amp subpanel. After reading many install threads I decided to use #4 copper wire for the new sub panel and #6 wire to the charger. This should allow me to charge at the max rate when needed.

If anyone has some advice on the S, let me know!!
In the real world, how far can you really go on 100 % charge, if I was to go on a long road trip?

Thank you!
Congratulations!!👍👍

Regarding your question about real world range - nobody can give you a definitive answer as it's 100% determined by your speed, ambient temperature, battery temperature, headwind/tailwind, ascent/gradient etc and varies for everyone.

The EPA range is very optimistic - generally ideal conditions - steady 55MPH etc

#6 wire to the charger. This should allow me to charge at the max rate when needed.

If this is #6 Romex you cannot charge at the maximum rate as #6 Romex is rated at 55A, not 60A. On a continuous load circuit the load cannot exceed 80% of the wire rating. So if you have #6 romex, which is rated at 55A your maximum continuous load is 44A, which means you must set the wall connector to a 50A circuit with a maximum charge rate of 40A.

Make sure the rear parcel shelf, charging adapter with J1772 adapter, both key cards, and if it still has them both fobs.

Depending on how far you’re going, make sure you get access to the App for charging. A 22 at this point could be either new or used not sure where you’re getting it from.

My 21 LR reports 398 miles with 100% charge at 19k miles. I usually see about 340 ish real world miles based on the kwh/mile but I drive 75 mph average on the interstate for long trips. Range is really a non issue with the car for me.

When I picked up my MSLR, they did not have the carpet mats. They only delivered it two weeks ago. And that too after me bugging them constantly. Mine came with the travel charger and the J1772 adapter and my car was delivered with them. Mine also came with the trunk cover.

As for range I went from close to 640km (15kwh/100km) in the summer to about 350 - 400km (18kwh/100km) now where the temps are hovering between -5 and 5C.

Last edited:
Make sure the rear parcel shelf, charging adapter with J1772 adapter, both key cards, and if it still has them both fobs.

Depending on how far you’re going, make sure you get access to the App for charging. A 22 at this point could be either new or used not sure where you’re getting it from.

My 21 LR reports 398 miles with 100% charge at 19k miles. I usually see about 340 ish real world miles based on the kwh/mile but I drive 75 mph average on the interstate for long trips. Range is really a non issue with the car for me.

Good information, thank you Lee!!

If this is #6 Romex you cannot charge at the maximum rate as #6 Romex is rated at 55A, not 60A. On a continuous load circuit the load cannot exceed 80% of the wire rating. So if you have #6 romex, which is rated at 55A your maximum continuous load is 44A, which means you must set the wall connector to a 50A circuit with a maximum charge rate of 40A.
I have never heard of wire with multiple ratings.
Not 100 % sure on the conductor, I had a friend who is an engineer and he was aware of my goal. He grabbed the conductor from work so more than likely the THWN wire type. If it does not work I have enough #4 to make the short run, we decided not to do it because of the ease working with #6 and the short length of the run.

SIZE60°C
(140°F)
75°C
(167°F)
90°C
(194°F)
AWG
or
kcmil
TYPES
TW,
UF
TYPES
RHW,
THW,
THWN
TYPES
TBS,
SA,
SIS
COPPER

Reactions: whitex
When I picked up my MSLR, they did not have the carpet mats. They only delivered it two weeks ago. And that too after me bugging them constantly. Mine came with the travel charger and the J1772 adapter and my car was delivered with them. Mine also came with the trunk cover.

As for range I went from close to 640km (15kwh/100km) in the summer to about 350 - 400km (18kwh/100km) now where the temps are hovering between -5 and 5C.
Alright......Thank you.

@nzvlnr - Congrats, I've had mine for a few months and really enjoy it. I would guess at 70MPH in normal weather the actual range is closer to 300miles or a little above. I just took the advice from all the folks here and trust the Nav/estimates. Winter has reduced the range but I'm still able to do 150-200 miles in <30 degree weather without concern.

Key fobs don’t come with the S anymore.

Reactions: nzvlnr
There are a number of delivery checklists, search the forums. Here is an example: 2022 Model S: Delivery Checklist

My car had 9 issues I found on delivery, I still took delivery, but made sure the delivery person noted them all. I also took photos. I found more issues later. I fixed some issues myself, Tesla fixed the rest.

Issue with new vehicle delivered 3/21/2022
1 - The lower trunk covers are missing, both large and small, as noted by delivery person.
Fixed by SC
2 - The wiper blades make a loud knocking sound when they return to their resting place.
Fixed by SC
3 - The frunk gap on the left side is higher than the right. It looks odd, yet delivery person says it is in spec?
Fixed by SC
4 - I am unable to record dashcam footage while driving, not even the honk option works.
Fixed after first software update
5 - I occasional get an error that says the dashcam drive is not large enough. It is the default 128GB drive that came with the car.
6 - I can't see my safety score in the app even though I enabled the opt in for FSD?
Just started working, even before software update
7 - My car is stuck on an old build and not receiving any new updates.
Eventually got the update. Apparently fixes for my different chips needed to make it to mainline first.
8 - The service section of the app tells me to install a software update, however my car says it is up to date.
Went away after first software update
9 - Missing front license plate cover
Fixed by SC

Issues found hew hours after delivery that I fixed myself
1 - Plastic clips for seals around doors not all pushed in correctly. Pushed them in all the way.
1 - Wiper fluid pipes to both wipers not connect! Fluid went into frunk instead of windshield. Connected tubes.

New issue 3/31/2022
1 - Right front door handle does not always retract and then blinks a light. It snaps back with a light push, or on its own after a while. E.g. when driving I hear this loud noise that sounds like something hitting the side of the car.
- "Fixed" by SC, however they moved handle to low, now it pops on open, every time! Did they even bother testing it?
- Fixed for real by mobile tech by correctly centering the door handle.

New issue 4/25/2022
1 - Right back door opens itself either when opening or closing the trunk. Happened three times so far.
- SC could not repro, so did not try fix it. Said I must file a service request next time it happens. I did, they sent mobile tech.
- Mobile tech inspected it. They could not find anything. Said I should file another service request and they will look at logs??
- Fixed it myself when I discovered the emergency release tab was stuck between carpet and metal causing the cable to be under constant tension. They never bothered to look at it! I know since the hidden push out in the carpet was still intact. (Why is the emergency release hidden??)

Congratulations! We also had a few issues, trunk cover delayed and mis-aligned hood. Tesla took care of everything. One thing we were told (haven’t read through this whole thread) never leave your key card, credit card or anything on the closed console that can slide under the monitor! Even after being told we accidentally set a cc there and barely caught it before it disappeared! And who stupidly does this? Us. you will be amazed and happy with your mileage you get with the LR. When we first got ours we were almost terrified of running out of power but over time our confidence has grown and now we never worry about where/when we can re-charge.

No they are individual conductors in 1 inch pipe. 55 to 70 amps is the rating and being that the run is only about 10 feet , this is in my favor as well. I will see once it is hooked up!!
If you want extra peace of mind, see if you can get access to a FLIR camera (perhaps your engineer friend already has one, or you can borrow a FLIR One which plugs into your phone) and inspect temperatures of the entire install (from main service panel to the car) while your car is charging at 48A. Any lose connections or faulty breaker or wiring will excessively heat up over time as the car is pulling 48A, hence can be seen on FLIR. Your engineer friend who helped you with the install can probably help you interpret the results as to what is normal and what might be concerning.

There are a number of delivery checklists, search the forums. Here is an example: 2022 Model S: Delivery Checklist

My car had 9 issues I found on delivery, I still took delivery, but made sure the delivery person noted them all. I also took photos. I found more issues later. I fixed some issues myself, Tesla fixed the rest.

Issue with new vehicle delivered 3/21/2022
1 - The lower trunk covers are missing, both large and small, as noted by delivery person.
Fixed by SC
2 - The wiper blades make a loud knocking sound when they return to their resting place.
Fixed by SC
3 - The frunk gap on the left side is higher than the right. It looks odd, yet delivery person says it is in spec?
Fixed by SC
4 - I am unable to record dashcam footage while driving, not even the honk option works.
5 - I occasional get an error that says the dashcam drive is not large enough. It is the default 128GB drive that came with the car.
6 - I can't see my safety score in the app even though I enabled the opt in for FSD?
Just started working, even before software update
7 - My car is stuck on an old build and not receiving any new updates.
Eventually got the update. Apparently fixes for my different chips needed to make it to mainline first.
8 - The service section of the app tells me to install a software update, however my car says it is up to date.
Went away after first software update
9 - Missing front license plate cover
Fixed by SC

Issues found hew hours after delivery that I fixed myself
1 - Plastic clips for seals around doors not all pushed in correctly. Pushed them in all the way.
1 - Wiper fluid pipes to both wipers not connect! Fluid went into frunk instead of windshield. Connected tubes.

New issue 3/31/2022
1 - Right front door handle does not always retract and then blinks a light. It snaps back with a light push, or on its own after a while. E.g. when driving I hear this loud noise that sounds like something hitting the side of the car.
- "Fixed" by SC, however they moved handle to low, now it pops on open, every time! Did they even bother testing it?
- Fixed for real by mobile tech by correctly centering the door handle.

New issue 4/25/2022
1 - Right back door opens itself either when opening or closing the trunk. Happened three times so far.
- SC could not repro, so did not try fix it. Said I must file a service request next time it happens. I did, they sent mobile tech.
- Mobile tech inspected it. They could not find anything. Said I should file another service request and they will look at logs??
- Fixed it myself when I discovered the emergency release tab was stuck between carpet and metal causing the cable to be under constant tension. They never bothered to look at it! I know since the hidden push out in the carpet was still intact. (Why is the emergency release hidden??)
Thank you. I see the app does not work as it should. I got up this AM after setting the schedule to charge to 82 % the app stated it only charged to 212 miles, but when i got in the car it was at 328 miles. Maybe a software update? Rebooting phone as I write this, maybe that will resolve it, being optimistic !!

Reactions: Mark II
If you want extra peace of mind, see if you can get access to a FLIR camera (perhaps your engineer friend already has one, or you can borrow a FLIR One which plugs into your phone) and inspect temperatures of the entire install (from main service panel to the car) while your car is charging at 48A. Any lose connections or faulty breaker or wiring will excessively heat up over time as the car is pulling 48A, hence can be seen on FLIR. Your engineer friend who helped you with the install can probably help you interpret the results as to what is normal and what might be concerning.
Not a bad idea, maybe he can or maybe these can be rented? Funny you mention that as my service was just upgraded and the workers that did the work did not tighten one of the main lugs on the new panel and when we were in the panel, we almost pulled it out. It was luck that we caught that. This could have caused problems down the road...

@nzvlnr - Congrats, I've had mine for a few months and really enjoy it. I would guess at 70MPH in normal weather the actual range is closer to 300miles or a little above. I just took the advice from all the folks here and trust the Nav/estimates. Winter has reduced the range but I'm still able to do 150-200 miles in <30 degree weather without concern.
WOW....the cold really cuts the distance and 300 miles is pretty low as well. Before deciding to buy a Tesla S we rented the only one they had at the time for rent, which was a 2016 75kw model with a 240 mile distance. We took a long road trip from Northern California to S California. What a looong trip, we had to stop and charge so much. That trip is what swayed my decision to wait until the mileage would be increased. 405 miles was the magic number for me. 300 miles is ok as well on a long trip. Makes you stop, stretch and have a meal.... enjoy the journey in life!