Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up 22 long range Sunday!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW....the cold really cuts the distance and 300 miles is pretty low as well. Before deciding to buy a Tesla S we rented the only one they had at the time for rent, which was a 2016 75kw model with a 240 mile distance. We took a long road trip from Northern California to S California. What a looong trip, we had to stop and charge so much. That trip is what swayed my decision to wait until the mileage would be increased. 405 miles was the magic number for me. 300 miles is ok as well on a long trip. Makes you stop, stretch and have a meal.... enjoy the journey in life!
The trick is to only charge to about 80% on road trips. Charging from ~20% to 80% takes about 15 minutes. Charging from 80% to 100% takes another 30 minutes! So basically every 200 miles stop, charge, rest room, coffee, and then back on the road!

Reactions: Inci Willard
Thank you. I see the app does not work as it should. I got up this AM after setting the schedule to charge to 82 % the app stated it only charged to 212 miles, but when i got in the car it was at 328 miles. Maybe a software update? Rebooting phone as I write this, maybe that will resolve it, being optimistic !!
As you will see from my post above I had a number of different issues that got resolved on the first *car* software update. When you receive a new car it will be on a factory build. I.e. yours is likely 2022.40.300.1, or something like that. Basically the third number is 100 or more. Your car will be on that build anywhere from a few days to more than a month, depending where in the cycle you got the car. Once they integrate the changes specific to your car into the mainline you will get an update. Most likely 2022.44.x or 2022.48.x. The second number is the week of the year, and they typically release a new build every 4 weeks.

Reactions: nzvlnr
The trick is to only charge to about 80% on road trips. Charging from ~20% to 80% takes about 15 minutes. Charging from 80% to 100% takes another 30 minutes! So basically every 200 miles stop, charge, rest room, coffee, and then back on the road!
Thats not too bad, 15 minutes. Maybe charge to 95 % when leaving home on a road trip, then stop when needed.....

Reactions: leecox and Mark II
Thats not too bad, 15 minutes. Maybe charge to 95 % when leaving home on a road trip, then stop when needed.....
My 2018 I have set at 80% and the 2022 at 90%. I believe those are the recommendations for both, i.e. the last "daily" option in each case. For the most part I just leave both at their recommended setting and don't even think about it, even before a road trip.

In the past I used to charge to 100% if I was going to certain hiking spots in the PNW. The reason is I knew I could do the roundtrip with no charging. However sentry mode messed things up by using more battery depending how long I was hiking. So rather than bother I just charge on the way home, which is easier because there are way more superchargers these days.

Not a bad idea, maybe he can or maybe these can be rented? Funny you mention that as my service was just upgraded and the workers that did the work did not tighten one of the main lugs on the new panel and when we were in the panel, we almost pulled it out. It was luck that we caught that. This could have caused problems down the road...
You can probably rent some industrial ones, or buy one that plugs into your phone for ~$300 new, or cheaper if you find used. Lose/untightened connections is one thing you can catch with FLIR.

Reactions: nzvlnr
My 2018 I have set at 80% and the 2022 at 90%. I believe those are the recommendations for both, i.e. the last "daily" option in each case. For the most part I just leave both at their recommended setting and don't even think about it, even before a road trip.

In the past I used to charge to 100% if I was going to certain hiking spots in the PNW. The reason is I knew I could do the roundtrip with no charging. However sentry mode messed things up by using more battery depending how long I was hiking. So rather than bother I just charge on the way home, which is easier because there are way more superchargers these days.
ahh true, turning off sentry will save a little juice....good point!

Reactions: Mark II