Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up car today...no phone!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I have a work phone but my personal phone just broke (black screen of death.)

I'm picking up my car in like 2 hr. Is there any issue with not having a phone at delivery/pickup? I'll probably get one tomorrow or within the next few days...

Can I just use the key cards?

I'd rather not use my work phone...unless it's truly easy to swap between phones (using phone as key.)

Thanks!

Erasing a phone key from the list of authorized phones is very easy from the screen menu.
You can use the card.
You can also erase the key card from the list. They are not permanent. So don't erase both cards. If you accidentally erase both cards, you will be in trouble.

You could pick up with just the keycards, but you might throw the tesla delivery person off their script. As @OCR1 one said, the keys are very easy to delete and add. My recommendation would be to mention nothing about "work phone" to the tesla delivery person, and simply add the tesla app to your work phone (unless your phone is restricted in such a way that you can not install apps on it).

When you replace your personal phone, simply install the tesla app on it, and log in with your tesla account credentials, and pair it with the car as a new key. Once you verify its working, you can delete the work phone from the car.

Also note, that pairing the phone as a key and pairing it for making phone calls / playing music are two different pairings, and just because its paired as one of those does not make it automatically paired for the other (this sometimes confuses new tesla owners).

The only downsides I can see with pairing it on your work phone:

1. Your company might have configured your work phone such that you can not add apps to it from outside of the companies specific app store (possible to do, but in my opinion rare).

2. If the phone is one where they provide the phone and dont use "bring your own device" its likely there is a management client on the phone, and the company can see all the apps on the phone. thus, the company would see the tesla app on the phone (but not the contents of the tesla app). On company phones, the company can usually see the apps on the phone, and remotely manage said phone (unlock, lock, erase). Not that big a deal since you are likely going to drive the car to work anyway.