Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up first Tesla in January (Model Y) - What are some things I should know/buy/set up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
I've driven a Leaf for 11 years but this is my first Tesla. In fact my wife will be driving it for her long commute and I'll be keeping true leaf as we're replacing a gas guzzling minivan.

I already have the mobile connector. We have a J1772 charger in garage for a Leaf but it's a NEMA 6-50R from when Blink installed their free charger as part of the free charge program when the Leaf came out. (POS Blink charger long dead).

I'll probably just use the J1772 adapter to charge the Model Y but maybe not. Thinking of ordering the 6-50 Tesla adapter for the mobile connector and just switching between them.

What do other people do in 2 EV households when one EV isn't a Tesla?

Besides that... Anything about first setting up a Tesla I should know that's not obvious? Or things you'd recommend now after owning for a while?

Thinking of ordering the 6-50 Tesla adapter for the mobile connector and just switching between them.
Just ordered it.

Also my wife is extremely not a tech person and doesn't like change. Which slightly terrifies me that the Y will be her daily driver. I know the strong regen will take a lot to get her used to and I'll probably turn on creep and maybe chill.

She has a 60 mile commute and has to visit different locations. Switching from the minivan to the Y will save around $500 in gas each month. She enjoys driving the Leaf though so that's good. Leaf doesn't have strong regen though

Upvote 0
This may sound crazy to some, but as a woman of a certain age the angle of the windshield is a real problem. On my morning commute I drive into the sun, then into the sun again going home. I try to keep my face out of the UV. I got the strongest tint with UV coating possible on the windsheild and roof (costing 1k) but it's still an issue. So I wear a sunhat on my way home, which is a PITA.
I've never had a car where this has been a problem before.
For that reason (as well as others) I would not buy a Tesla again.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0
This may sound crazy to some, but as a woman of a certain age the angle of the windshield is a real problem. On my morning commute I drive into the sun, then into the sun again going home. I try to keep my face out of the UV. I got the strongest tint with UV coating possible on the windsheild and roof (costing 1k) but it's still an issue. So I wear a sunhat on my way home, which is a PITA.
I've never had a car where this has been a problem before.
For that reason (as well as others) I would not buy a Tesla again.
All auto glass protects against UV. Otherwise the interior would fade rather quickly. That’s also the reason Transition eyeglass lenses don’t darken in the car.
You don’t need a hat as long as your windows are closed. Unless you are talking about heat through the glass, in which case you need an infrared tint instead of UV.

Upvote 0
I would have her attend the Getting To Know Your Tesla webinars, they are great. First thing is setup her phone as car key and make sure she has a back up key in her purse. Please setup your wife's driving profile so it has it Chill acceleration mode or her head will explode when she hits the pedal. Her profile will also remember seat position, mirrors, and lots of other settings making it simpler for her to just drive. Set her radio station or stream stuff so she doesn't have to mess with it. Set her 4 apps on the screen bottom ie defroster, seat heater etc. The key is to get all the basic stuff set up BEFORE she starts driving around. Take some time for her to drive on back streets to ensure all settings are right. Show her basic autopilot but do not let her double tap until she is comfortable with basic which is friggin amazing. Set her distance to the car in front so she is comfortable (2-7). Have her practice Autopark if she will be using Tesla Superchargers. they are amazingly fast. Just tell her to relax and have fun. there are YouTube videos answering every question. Good luck

Reactions: cdub
Upvote 0
Getting To Know Your Tesla
Oh what are those webinars? I'll be sure to set up some stuff for her beforehand.

Definitely get mud flaps for the front (and rear) or PPF the rocker panels. The aerodynamics of the MY throws debris into that spot and without protection, that area will take a beating. If you got the 20” Inductions, I’d also recommend RimSavers.
Do I still need those mudflaps in sunny SoCal?

Reactions: CDrury
Upvote 0
Setup ideas:

Immediately toggle the "battery remaining" display to read as a percentage instead of rated-miles. Treat the car like an iPhone, charge it when it gets low, don't hurt your brain on how big an estimated mile is vs current weather and road conditions.

I happen to like dark-mode all the time, which is an option in the display setup.

If you keep the map up as your default display, consider toggling the compass arrow to either have always-north up vs having the map track the direction your car is facing at all time (I happen to like the later)

Steering effort "standard" tends to feel the best imo.

You can drag-and-drop 4 or 5 most-used "apps" into the bottom of the display tray for faster access.

I recommend setting up "honk to record" for the camera video - saves the last 30 seconds to the thumb drive in the glovebox, great for documenting whatever stupidity happened that made you take evasive action, and far easier to engage than trying to tap the touch screen for record-video.

I find the turn-signal blind spot camera feature to be more distracting than useful - it can be adjusted on or off in settings

If you have a garage with limited headroom, pop the rear hatch, physically restrain it to the desired height, then press-and-hold the trunk open button to memorize that height in the future.

Curb rash is an almost certainty, especially on the 20 inch wheels. I like rimblades protective strips for just a bit of scuff safety. Another option is to decide in advance to just-not-care and keep a bit of black paint around to cover the evidence

If you have the white interior, I find the piano-white dash strip to be both ugly and a forward vision distraction - there are several excellent aftermarket places selling delightful overlays at a modest cost. I got gray alcantara two piece and it perfected the interior imo.

Others have probably addressed it, but you'll want uprated floor mats. Many good options out there. Note that the rear seat area can be one big mat.

Upvote 0
Recommend a spare tire/wheel set (single 19" Geminis or set of 4 if priced right) in case of flat, to get back to commute in no time.

Because: if the tire is punctured beyond repair, it takes few days to order replacement tire (matching current). Even if the puncture is repairable - tire shops are not open 24/7.

I commute SoCal, had unlucky tire puncture (twice in the last 2 years). Both times had Road Side Assistance "flat bed" my Model 3 to home (your 50 mile commute should be then within the 50 mile Road Side Assistance transport limit for "flat tires"), then DiY install the spare I keep at home. This way has got me back on the commute (work) with the least trouble/time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221123_113319.jpg
    Screenshot_20221123_113319.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: cdub
Upvote 0
Definitely get mud flaps for the front (and rear) or PPF the rocker panels. The aerodynamics of the MY throws debris into that spot and without protection, that area will take a beating. If you got the 20” Inductions, I’d also recommend RimSavers.
I was told you cannot get PPF to adhere to the plastic panels. I agree my MY is pretty beat up there. We just took delivery of MX and I'd like to prevent that from happening. is there a product you recommend?

Upvote 0
I was told you cannot get PPF to adhere to the plastic panels. I agree my MY is pretty beat up there. We just took delivery of MX and I'd like to prevent that from happening. is there a product you recommend?
The PPF “sticks” just fine on the rocker panels when installed properly. I just got the mud flaps from RPM Tesla and don’t have PPF. The mud flaps do a great job of preventing damage to that area. YMMV. Sorry, but I have no experience with the MX so can’t make an informed recommendation.

Upvote 0
Recommend a spare tire/wheel set (single 19" Geminis or set of 4 if priced right) in case of flat, to get back to commute in no time.

Because: if the tire is punctured beyond repair, it takes few days to order replacement tire (matching current). Even if the puncture is repairable - tire shops are not open 24/7.

I commute SoCal, had unlucky tire puncture (twice in the last 2 years). Both times had Road Side Assistance "flat bed" my Model 3 to home (your 50 mile commute should be then within the 50 mile Road Side Assistance transport limit for "flat tires"), then DiY install the spare I keep at home. This way has got me back on the commute (work) with the least trouble/time.
This is really good info, but what a hassle! I have had two flat tires as well and found all three of us in the Tesla waiting room have had flat tires (the other two people weren't even there for tires). Before this my last flat tire was about 1990. This is a rather big issue I rarely see addressed.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Upvote 0
I second the rear passenger door ppf and mud flaps at a minimum.

Given that it's new, I would at least put a ceramic coating after polishing it. The MY probably have the softest, most sensitive paint on any cars I've owned and I have had a black E90 BMW and a Celica with a Maaco paintjob, lol.

Upvote 0
I second the rear passenger door ppf and mud flaps at a minimum.

Given that it's new, I would at least put a ceramic coating after polishing it. The MY probably have the softest, most sensitive paint on any cars I've owned and I have had a black E90 BMW and a Celica with a Maaco paintjob, lol.
Do we need to apply PPF to the area underneath where the mud flaps will be installed? And is there a particular area of the rear passenger doors that need PPF?

Upvote 0
Do we need to apply PPF to the area underneath where the mud flaps will be installed? And is there a particular area of the rear passenger doors that need PPF?
Nope, just the paint portion as it's cut specific for that part. Here's Tesla's version but there are other 3rd party sellers that sells the same thing

The picture shows a pretty good area where the PPF will be applied. It's basically the part that sticks out on the MY's body. Basically a magnet for rock chips from being chucked off from the front tires.

Upvote 0