Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up inventory MX soon. Should I pay for FSD?

Should I get FSD

• YEAH!

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • NAH...

Votes: 23 54.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My old MX was repurchased by Tesla due to multiple defects earlier this year and I will finally be picking up replacement MX soon (very excited). Back when I purchased my first MX consensus mostly was paying for FSD was not advisable. But now I keep reading that some of the new upcoming features will be part of FSD not EAP AND after purchase price went up by a $1000. Planning on keeping new car for a while (fingers crossed). What do you guys think? Should I get FSD?

I’m in the camp of nope.

I’m all for Tesla, own an MX 100.

But, they haven’t even given any sort of demonstration as promised by end of 2017.

If you pay now, you are awaiting features. Does that mean it’ll stop at Stop Signs and Stop lights? You’ll likely still need to be behind the wheel and drive the rest of the trip paying attention, too.

Not to mention if your car gets totaled, you’re sort of out of the money.

I respect and understand people have different opinions.

Cost calculus has changed dramatically shifting me to the “worth it” camp.

Used to be 3K at delivery, 4K after.

Now 3K at delivery, 5K after.

Tesla has confirmed free AP3 upgrade for FSD purchases.

OP has mentioned long holding period.

This economist says all signs point to a yes dawg.

Also, anyone who wants to see TSLA rocket should go ahead and front Tesla that interest free loan.

More cash deposit and uptake on FSD will be tinder for short burning at the next conference call.

Depreciation on FSD in the event of a total is going to be a low impact item.

It would be harder to argue for its value when purchased later and outside of the MVPA.

Sure, you’re right. But it’s thousands of dollars that was never utilized once.

And what does Full self driving features really mean? I think we are just doing “super really extended autopilot.”

Until the car can drive itself, full self driving is a misnomer.

I still love my Tesla, awesome car. I think I even help a buddy buy one yesterday. I just think FSD is far far away.

Last edited:
Sure, you’re right. But it’s thousands of dollars that was never utilized once.

And what does Full self driving features really mean? I think we are just doing “super really extended autopilot.”

Until the car can drive itself, full self driving is a misnomer.

I still love my Tesla, awesome car. I think I even help a buddy buy one yesterday. I just think FSD is far far away.

True FSD at level 4 and level 5 could be sold for more than the cost of the rest of the vehicle.

Since we are not there yet, it’s a 3000 option instead of 60,000.

If see it as a no brainer call option if Tesla lets you stay in the running under the current infrastructure through AP3.

And unlike a normal call option it isn’t binary and expires worthless. You get FSD as it rolls out incrementally. Incremental features are already live on Elon’s cars and dev builds for over a year now.

They understandly have to roll it out extremely slowly as people are still killing themselves and runnIng into stopped vehicles. (them NOT EAP)

FSD should eventually be able to use IR to determine the difference between an overpass sign and a honkin fire truck.

Soon enough to easily throw 3K in it and feel ok especially with the AP3 path buying more time to make use of my 3K loan.

Reactions: JCB_Arizona
Thank you so much for all the replies! I am leaning towards getting it as it seems we are closer now as compared to 2016 when I got my first X. Plus $3k seems like an ok price to pay to at least getting a new MCU when upgrade comes out.

Reactions: MXWing
Thank you so much for all the replies! I am leaning towards getting it as it seems we are closer now as compared to 2016 when I got my first X. Plus $3k seems like an ok price to pay to at least getting a new MCU when upgrade comes out.

You are going against the popular vote!

The current system is just AP1-Parody!

Coast to coast drive or nothing else!

Elon is to lateness as the Pope is to Catholicness!

Don’t do it!!!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Glad to see you’ve found the replacement vehicle. The issue in your case is that the cost is $5k after delivery, not 4K anymore. Granted this is an inventory car it might be different that they are honoring the 4k I am not sure.

It’s a hard decision to make for sure because of how EM’s been teasing FSD features are coming out. However in his latest tweet he mentioned the first FSD feature will come out when the new hardware comes out in 4-6 months? Given EM timeframe we are talking about at least next year to see something.

Regardless if it was 4K I’d wait. For 5k after delivery I might bite the bullet and get it before delivery. Hopefully the replacement is a keeper!

A major factor in this decision needs to be how long you plan to keep the car. Because the shorter you plan to keep it, the higher the probability you won't get enough value to justify the cost.

We plan to keep our 2017 S 100D and our 2018 X 100D for at least around 100K miles each, and purchased FSD for both of our cars, not because we expect to do "Full Self Driving" any time soon, but because we expect the software to operate better in "driver assist" mode in more situations than the EAP software (which is primarily intended to work on limited access highways - entry to exit ramp, auto lane change, …), possibly as soon as the Version 9 release.