Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up Model 3 Today - What is worthy of a reject?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anything not fixable by Service Center or too much trouble that I should reject the car over? not sure if panel gaps, etc are easily remedied? I see all of the posts on issues but are they easy to fix?

M3P Black on Black if its helpful.

Thanks In Advance!

My advice is to avoid situations where you are accepting a car that needs to be “fixed”. Either it’s in acceptable condition or it’s not. If it’s not, don’t accept the car and then waste your time hoping that Tesla will get around to fixing it. They may or may not, and you will likely waste a lot of time chasing them down to do so.

No car is going to be perfect, so be reasonable. But if something is so bad that it requires a repair, just wait for another car. I have taken delivery of three cars that were near perfect in condition. I also rejected two cars that were not acceptable.

Reactions: DMPicone
My advice is to avoid situations where you are accepting a car that needs to be “fixed”. Either it’s in acceptable condition or it’s not. If it’s not, don’t accept the car and then waste your time hoping that Tesla will get around to fixing it. They may or may not, and you will likely waste a lot of time chasing them down to do so.

No car is going to be perfect, so be reasonable. But if something is so bad that it requires a repair, just wait for another car. I have taken delivery of three cars that were near perfect in condition. I also rejected two cars that were not acceptable.

When you reject a car, do you go to the back of the line? My delivery date is probably going to be the end of the quarter. If I reject the car for whatever reason, will I most likely be waiting until the next quarter to receive a car?

When you reject a car, do you go to the back of the line? My delivery date is probably going to be the end of the quarter. If I reject the car for whatever reason, will I most likely be waiting until the next quarter to receive a car?
No. You just need to wait until another VIN with the same configuration becomes available. If there is another car in inventory that has not been assigned, they can make the change right away. However, if there is no other car available, then it’s possible that you may have to wait until they make the next batch, which may be a couple of months from now. So before you make the decision to reject the vehicle, ask your service advisor to do a search and see if there is another car available. You may have to accept one with a different color or wheel choice. It just depends on how much supply versus demand they have for the end of the quarter.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Anything not fixable by Service Center or too much trouble that I should reject the car over? not sure if panel gaps, etc are easily remedied? I see all of the posts on issues but are they easy to fix?

Thanks In Advance!
Some things can be adjusted, for example the door/frunk/trunk gaps sometimes can be fixed by adjusting the hinges (if your SC is not busy sometimes they can do it on the spot). Also some minor scratches can be buffed out. However, any major scratches or paint issues, usually they take it to the body shop to get it repainted. You would have to decide yourself if a repaint is ok with you.

I have heard they now may have spare pre-painted bumpers also, but not sure if the paint match would be perfect. Any major dents or dings in the main body panels that is part of the chassis (not talking about replaceable parts like the bumpers, hood, doors, front quarter, but rather parts like the rear quarter panel for example) is definitely cause of rejection as there won't be easy fixes and it may affect your vehicle's value. However, the delivery center usually should reject those cars anyways before it reaches your hand. Note that anything that needs parts may take a long lead time (my car had rear glass needing replacement and the part took over a month to arrive).

For the interior, pretty much everything is replaceable without it being noticeable (unlike exterior issues which usually requires paint matching), so I personally did not stress over those as rejection issues, but again that's something for you to decide.

Whatever you do however, make sure you take plenty of pictures on delivery day and have a checklist with you. I used the following (copied the text into a word doc to avoid having to print the ads and to fit into one sheet), but there may be better ones.
Tesla Model 3 Delivery Checklist: Detailed and Complete | Torque News
Given Covid, I had contactless delivery last year so didn't have a rep go over car with me, so your experience may be different now. They had me report any issues found at delivery in the service app, with pictures attached. Also take screen shots of the app as proof you reported things at delivery (there have been past reports of those appointments getting deleted for whatever reason and then the proof is gone, although technically it should still be in their system).

If you end up going over the car with a rep, any issues they can't fix on the spot they would likely put in a "due bill". in such a case, make sure everything is written and get a copy yourself. Don't trust the rep to do things that they just promise verbally (they may forget). Also make sure an appointment is actually scheduled in your app, don't just trust rep to do it.

I bought Tesla, and I know what I’m getting. I’m not surprised when mine has couple panel gaps. I’m happy if they can fix my rear bumper where the bracket inside- front end alignment, and the tail light. I’m happy with it

Inspect the car as you would the delivery of any new car. When you see something unacceptable, bring it to their attention. Hopefully it will be a relatively easy fix but if they say they can't or won't do anything about it, reject the car. I've heard/read about too many people accepting cars that they shouldn't or otherwise wouldn't if it was another brand. Tesla needs to appreciate that quality, fit and finish, etc. matters but as long as people continue to accept subpar at time of delivery, Tesla will continue to make those things a low priority which could hurt the brand in the long run.

Reactions: DMPicone
Inspect the car as you would the delivery of any new car. When you see something unacceptable, bring it to their attention. Hopefully it will be a relatively easy fix but if they say they can't or won't do anything about it, reject the car. I've heard/read about too many people accepting cars that they shouldn't or otherwise wouldn't if it was another brand. Tesla needs to appreciate that quality, fit and finish, etc. matters but as long as people continue to accept subpar at time of delivery, Tesla will continue to make those things a low priority which could hurt the brand in the long run.
I would happy to show people any imperfections about Tesla, so let people decide what they like

Thanks In Advance!
so how did it go? Pics? don't leave us hanging as its the only joy I get waiting on a VIN and my own delivery date.

Reactions: TBrownTX