Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up Model X at Tesla Factory in Freemont, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening everyone...

I currently hold Model X Reservation #2,813 and plan to pick up my vehicle at the Tesla factory in Freemont, CA and then drive it back to Texas. I live in Killeen and would like to come back on I-10 through El Paso. I took a look at the PlugShare app and saw that there are a few NEMA 14-50 locations to charge along the way but no SuperChargers. Has anyone else picked up their Tesla at the factory or made the trip from El Paso to Austin? I would very much like to hear from you on your experiences. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if you can suggest a super awesome route to take coming home.

Thanks!

Craig

UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your comments! California taxes are definitely an issue. I spoke with Tesla and have tentatively made plans to pick up my Model X outside of California and then drive to the factory for the tour. I am a Texas resident and our tax rate on new vehicles is 6.25% compared to California that has a 10% tax rate. My question to Tesla was, "Where can I pick up my Model X proximal to California without getting screwed on taxes?" After some good conversation on where I wanted to travel after I get my vehicle, we decided that Scottsdale, AZ is where I will have my vehicle shipped. I could have selected Nevada but I wanted to see friends in San Diego and my dad in Wyoming before heading back to Texas. So, once again excited about getting my vehicle and see the Tesla factory early next year.

Last edited:
Well, the intent is to complete the transaction remotely prior to pickup and then simply go there to get it. I already have my license plates, just need a vehicle to register them to and put them on. Hope to leave the factory with my Texas plates installed.

Bighorn, why do you say that? I spoke with the Tesla Gallery in Austin and they said I could pick it up there no problem. I didn't get into specifics with them since Lord knows when the Model X will actually arrive but the logic I applied to the conversation is that since Texas law requires you to do everything online anyway, I would get everything done in traditional Tesla online fashion other than the delivery. I see you are in Wyoming. My dad lives in Powell. How is the charging situation in Wyoming. Is getting to/from Powell even possible?

Bighorn, why do you say that? I spoke with the Tesla Gallery in Austin and they said I could pick it up there no problem. I didn't get into specifics with them since Lord knows when the Model X will actually arrive but the logic I applied to the conversation is that since Texas law requires you to do everything online anyway, I would get everything done in traditional Tesla online fashion other than the delivery. I see you are in Wyoming. My dad lives in Powell. How is the charging situation in Wyoming. Is getting to/from Powell even possible?

There didn't seem to be an easy way to depart the factory without being dinged by CA sales tax. Bringing along plates that aren't yet associated with the new car isn't likely to be an end run around that requirement. Maybe somebody else has had success, but I know that when I took delivery of mine last year it seemed untenable based on what I gleaned here.

Powell is only 95 miles from the Billings supercharger, which is on the I-90 corridor that is prioritized for completion from Seattle to Boston. Heading south would be a bit more circuitous--with completion of I-90, Sheridan to Gillette to Lusk then Cheyenne will be the route. We've encouraged a charger in Casper, but I assume it's low priority.

Thanks for the heads up Bighorn. Texas is one of the states in which it is currently ILLEGAL for Tesla to sell directly to consumers. Even though we have Tesla Galleries, they are prohibited by outdated protectionist law from discussing price, financing, or assisting with the sale, taxes and registration. Our only option is to complete the purchase online and then pay the taxes and register the vehicle ourselves. I have purchased my last two vehicles out of state, one in Wisconsin and one in Maine. In both of those cases, I was not able to complete the purchase online but was able to pay for the car at the out of state dealership, no sales tax, and drove it home where I then registered it and paid Texas sales tax rate. I have discussed the registration with the local tax office here and they are holding my plates until I have a VIN, bill of sale to determine taxes owed, and proof of insurance, all of which I should have before I leave for California. Thanks again for the charging update. I may take your advice and go see my dad before heading south.

- - - Updated - - -

andrewket... thanks for the feedback. Based on what you and Bighorn have said, I must have just lucked out on my last two vehicles. Ill do some more checking and Nevada isn't a bad option... LAS VEGAS BABY!

Or... pick up in Nevada, drive *back* to Fremont for factory tour?

Thanks for the heads up Bighorn. Texas is one of the states in which it is currently ILLEGAL for Tesla to sell directly to consumers. Even though we have Tesla Galleries, they are prohibited by outdated protectionist law from discussing price, financing, or assisting with the sale, taxes and registration. Our only option is to complete the purchase online and then pay the taxes and register the vehicle ourselves. I have purchased my last two vehicles out of state, one in Wisconsin and one in Maine. In both of those cases, I was not able to complete the purchase online but was able to pay for the car at the out of state dealership, no sales tax, and drove it home where I then registered it and paid Texas sales tax rate. I have discussed the registration with the local tax office here and they are holding my plates until I have a VIN, bill of sale to determine taxes owed, and proof of insurance, all of which I should have before I leave for California. Thanks again for the charging update. I may take your advice and go see my dad before heading south.

- - - Updated - - -

andrewket... thanks for the feedback. Based on what you and Bighorn have said, I must have just lucked out on my last two vehicles. Ill do some more checking and Nevada isn't a bad option... LAS VEGAS BABY!

bollar... Thanks for the feedback. I hope you are right and that your comment wasn't intended to suggest that I wouldn't get my Model X until 2016. :) My reservation number should put delivery well inside the first two months of production even with the Signature Performance series initial production. Looking at the Tesla website SuperCharger page, the slider bar on the map looks a bit outdated as we are nearing the end of 2014 and the slider bar positions still labeled "Open Now", "Coming Soon", "2014" and "2015".

- - - Updated - - -

RandyS... I had hoped that I would be able to have the financial transaction complete BEFORE picking the X up in California. I have purchased my last two vehicles online and out of state and managed to pick them up in Wisconsin and Maine without having to pay the sales taxes until I registered it in Texas. I will put in a call to Tesla and see what they have to say. Thanks for the feedback.

I had hoped that I would be able to have the financial transaction complete BEFORE picking the X up in California. I have purchased my last two vehicles online and out of state and managed to pick them up in Wisconsin and Maine without having to pay the sales taxes until I registered it in Texas. I will put in a call to Tesla and see what they have to say. Thanks for the feedback.

I think it's California that's the stickler here.

Fremont pickup

Bighorn and Supersnoop are correct. We picked up our S on 7/31/14 at the Fremont factory, had a great time touring the factory and a wonderful vacation driving our new car around the Golden State. We drove it back home to the Texas Hill Country using SCs along I-40 until they ran out. Then we slowed down and used RV parks and hotels with EV charging. But if you take delivery in CA then you will pay CA sales tax. Good luck!

Check out The Frunk Is My Suitcase | A road trip across the United States in my Tesla Model S in which the blogger details charging in W Texas, including @40A in Balmorrhea, @70A at the Iraan Energy House and had planned to use an RV Park in Kerrville (but visited a 40A at an airport in Junction instead).
Since that trip was made, Fredericksburg has opened two 48A units downtown ("MobileNow" app needed for the $2/hour fee).
I've never been to Balmorrhea but I want to visit there on a Westbound trip.
Keep us posted on your X plans!

edited to correct over-optimistic Amperage reports, hat tip to my Austin friend downthread

Last edited:
HillCountryFun! I will keep you posted. Thanks for the input. I spoke with Tesla and it looks like I will pick up the Model X in Scottsdale, AZ and then visit some friends in San Diego and L.A. before heading to Freemont for the tour. It will save me about 3.75% in taxes (CA vs. TX). Thanks again! - Craig

- - - Updated - - -

SW2Fiddler! I will check out the blog, thanks for the recommendation. I have modified my plans to start in Scottsdale, AZ at the Tesla Gallery where I will have the Model X delivered and then head to California to see some friends and take the Tesla Factory tour. Ill save on taxes and just keep heading north to see my dad in Wyoming. I see that Tesla has updated the Europe and Asia Supercharger maps recently but not much changing on the sliders (Currently Open, Coming Soon, 2014, 2015) for the U.S.. Maybe by the time I actually get my Model X, all of the 2015 Superchargers will be open... :)

Check out The Frunk Is My Suitcase | A road trip across the United States in my Tesla Model S in which the blogger details charging in W Texas, including @50A in Balmorrhea, @70A at the Iraan Energy House and had planned to use an RV Park in Kerrville (but visited a 50A at an airport in Junction instead).
Since that trip was made, Fredericksburg has opened two 60A units downtown ("MobileNow" app needed for the $2/hour fee).
A point of clarification-- with the exception of Iraan Energy House, all the amps you reported are what circuits they are on, not the output (80% of circuit rating). So the 14-50 outlets in Balmorrhea and Junction are 40A charging, just like you would have at home, and the Fredericksburg CS-60s provide 48A charging.