Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up my M3 SLR Thursday. Or am I???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going out of my mind with paralysis of analysis...I want an EV because I drive all day for work and am reimbursed by the km and have to use that $$ to pay for gas, insurance, maintenance on my vehicle. In Vancouver gas prices are hitting 1.50/L these days! I'm spending approx 300/month on gas that I could be putting towards my new EV. I ordered my M3 and it's ready for pick up Thursday. I'm just not sure if it's the right car for my lifestyle. Right next door to the Tesla dealership is Hyundai so I took a test drive of a 2021 Hyundai Kona EV Ultimate. They are such vastly different vehicles and it's almost impossible to compare. But lifestyle-wise I feel myself drawn to the Kona because I'm used to an SUV and it has a hatch and higher clearance. I have a couple of inflatable kayaks that are 45 lbs each and pack into large duffel bags - and I want to carry my bikes. Also at Hyundai they will give me a decent trade for my CRV, 0% financing and free winter tires. If I go Tesla I have to go through the hassle of selling my vehicle. The price of the Tesla M3 and Kona Ultimate which is the top of the line model with leather and sunroof is pretty much the same.

My questions: Does anyone have a hitch installed on their M3 (or other Tesla model) to carry a bike rack? The car seems so low I"m worried the hitch will bottom out on hills.
Anyone carrying large items like my kayaks described above who can share their experience/advice.

Other things to consider: Resale value. So hard to know since everything is still pretty new. Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

So you really want an SUV, but you didn't order a Model Y, and instead order a Model 3 because why?

I believe you can still order the Model Y Standard Range "off the menu" by calling Tesla. The Model Y SR will give you similar range and performance to the Kona, and the Kona Ultimate is not cheap at $46K MSRP.

Sounds like you should switch your order to the Model Y SR.

Last edited:
Actually the list price for the 3 LRP is $52,990 and qualifies for the $8,000 rebates - and the Y is only available in Long Range at $69,990. Add 12% tax to both.
Are you confusing SR and LR? LRP would be seen as long range performance, definitely not C$52,990. Your title is SLR which also doesn’t make sense.

It is confusing but use + for Plus and P for Performance. For the 3 you are looking at SR+.

If you want an SUV, Model Y SR (standard range) is $54,990, there are quite a few in inventory in Canada, just ask your sales advisor at Tesla about changing your order to a SR Y. Does that still qualify for your rebate?

As far as the lifestyle, I think the bigger issue is how much do you drive per day? How many miles? Are you able to charge during the day or only at night? Sorry for mpg but that is what I am familiar with. $300/mo is 200L or 53gal. If your current car gets 30mpg that is 1500 miles/month. If any of your current daily drives are over 150 miles and you aren’t able to charge through the day I think you might have some issues with range of an ev. Just something to consider more than just if it holds a bike and some duffel bags.

Sorry, I’m clearly a newb! I meant Model 3 SR+. No, the Y does not qualify for the rebate, Elon priced the Model 3 just under the cutoff for luxury non-rebate status in Canada. The Y would be the best option for sure for hauling my kayaks and bikes but out of my price range.
I drive for work every day 50-180km (30-110) and will charge at home every night. I am in sales and my calls are usually 30-60 mins and always near charging stations so an EV seems like the perfect scenario for me. I am reimbursed for my mileage. I want to be able to take my pooch with me which wouldn’t work in the summer so the Tesla would be my only option for little Scruffy.

Reactions: 95gator
Tons of people have a hitch receiver. From what I've read, it sounds like a receiver is in the short term product plan for the Model 3. The '21 model even has a cut out box for it. There's also lots of companies that sell bolt-on kits that fully hide:

I tossed a receiver on my Mustang GT (pre-Tesla) and it was pretty great. I also have a diesel Ram for hauling our camper, but I couldn't come close to the comfort and mileage as when I was towing my dirt bike on a trailer behind my Mustang.

I'll definitely be adding a receiver when Tesla launches it, but I wouldn't lose sleep over tossing a reputable aftermarket one on either.

Reactions: Phlier and itscindy
Tons of people have a hitch receiver. From what I've read, it sounds like a receiver is in the short term product plan for the Model 3. The '21 model even has a cut out box for it. There's also lots of companies that sell bolt-on kits that fully hide:

I tossed a receiver on my Mustang GT (pre-Tesla) and it was pretty great. I also have a diesel Ram for hauling our camper, but I couldn't come close to the comfort and mileage as when I was towing my dirt bike on a trailer behind my Mustang.

I'll definitely be adding a receiver when Tesla launches it, but I wouldn't lose sleep over tossing a reputable aftermarket one on either.
Good to know, thank you. I’ve just spoken to my hitch shop - this will be my 4th - and they’ve installed many on Teslas including the stealth hidden hitch. So that box is ticked. I’m taking one of my inflatable kayaks, golf clubs and cart with me today for a final test drive and will know once and for all if it will work for me.

If you test drove a model 3 and then a Kona... and you are thinking about the Kona?

Wow.
You saw Star Wars and Star Trek, and still think Star Wars is better? Wow.

If everyone had the same opinions and preferences, the world would be incredibly boring.

OP, you're in the unique position of being the only one that knows exactly what your situation is, and what would work best for you.

It's really too bad that Canada didn't adjust the maximum purchase price that qualifies for tax benefits according to the vehicle type; merely lumping all cars and SUV's into one price cutoff is a bit disingenuous.

Do you get reimbursed a flat amount per km you drive, or do you have to submit receipts? If it's a flat amount, I'd sit down and do the math, as I believe the Model 3 would have far lower per km costs than the Kona.

In the end, only you can know what is going to work best for you. IMO, they're both fine vehicles.

I understand the wow as the Tesla certainly has the wow factor. But I’m being mindful of lifestyle and work style and driving a sports car all day every day isn’t necessarily practical or comfortable. The Kona drives like a normal ICE vehicle, the driving position is more upright and there’s no learning curve to getting familiar with operating it. I took a Model 3 out today for another test drive and at first I was “wow, I’m getting this for sure!” but when I returned it I felt weary from having my foot on the gas all the time. One pedal driving is a thing, I guess, but so is being able to ease your foot off the accelerator once in awhile. I found out about “creep” mode when I got back. Wish I had been able to try it. Does it really make it feel similar to a normal ride?

I get a per km rate of .59/km and have to give odometer readings at the beginning and end of each day. It goes down to .53/km after 5,000km in the calendar year. Gas prices in my province are stupid, it’s as high as $1.54/litre. I’m curious how the Tesla would cost me less than the Kona? Because of the charge time taking longer and possibly drawing more power?

Kona has some very attractive features and dealer incentives at the moment which makes buying a 60,000 EV less hassle and somewhat more affordable even though the ultimate is the same price as the Model 3 (0% financing, don’t pay for 3 months, set of winter tires included, they’ll take my CRV in trade so I only pay 12% tax on the difference, not the total cost) and I’m sure the price/colour/accessories are all negotiable. They can add bike racks, roof racks also. Easy Peasy. But at the end of the day it’s a Hyundai. I know...right? Not much wow factor!

Thank you all for helping me nut this out. Still, I have changed my mind 6 times since I started writing this. o_O

Oh...and I can’t take my new rescue Scruffy with me to work in the summertime in a Kona!

I asked at Tesla today and was told the warranty would be void if there were any bumper issues. What possible bumper issues could there be? I think the installer would cover it if any damage resulted from faulty installation but idn...

Attachments

• CF7C9ED3-5BD7-4244-8B2D-A0DD747360B5.jpeg
    CF7C9ED3-5BD7-4244-8B2D-A0DD747360B5.jpeg
    695.2 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: cdswm3
Creep mode is definitely not like creep in a normal ICE car. I wish it was. There are definitely a few things I'd sacrifice range for and this is one of them. I agree I'm not a huge fane of the regen braking you can't disable.

As for the bumper warranty, there's some receivers that require you to cut through the bumper. I wouldn't recommend one. I would only get one that went through the access plate in the '21 rear belly pan. I would think the only thing they could get you on warranty wise would be drivetrain at that point. Possibly corrosion if the part rusted and worked its way into the car body/chassis.
My Mustang came with a tow rating, something like 1,400 lbs. It made less HP and Torque, so I would imagine this drivetrain could handle it, especially since there's no transmission, but who knows. It'd definitely be a risk to a certain extent.

Train Scruffy to sit on the accelerator pedal when you want to take a nap.

But seriously, you haven't fully digested what a different machine the Tesla is. No, Creep Mode is not traditional two pedal driving. Once you (and Cornelius) get used to the regen, it's a different way to relax. It's like anything new, it takes a little adjusting. And for someone who drives a lot, even the base autopilot makes a huge difference. You won't be riding any pedals much.

But you're in this forum, effectively asking Tesla drivers if they'd want a manually operated retro car? The answer is no way, but there's a lot to it. It's not about Wow factor, and it's understood that a Tesla is not the cheapest car on the road. But unless you're entirely atypical, it will make all that driving actually enjoyable.

If the Canadian rebate trigger is at just a little over the Model 3 price, can't you just add a color option or wheels or a roof rack and get over the line?

Last edited:
But seriously, you haven't fully digested what a different machine the Tesla is. No, Creep Mode is not traditional two pedal driving. Once you (and Cornelius) get used to the regen, it's a different way to relax. It's like anything new, it takes a little adjusting. And for someone who drives a lot, even the base autopilot makes a huge difference. You won't be riding any pedals much.

Oh I know you're right. There's a lot that's very different from any other vehicle I've driven, and I'm sure I'll get used to it over time. The tough part is I still need to drive my truck semi-often and I'd love for the driving to be a little more similar even if that sacrificed range. I feel like it'd be a simple thing to program in assuming there's not a ton of validation work that would need to go into it.

Who knows, maybe I'll feel completely different about it this time next year!

Train Scruffy to sit on the accelerator pedal when you want to take a nap.

But you're in this forum, effectively asking Tesla drivers if they'd want a manually operated retro car? The answer is no way, but there's a lot to it. It's not about Wow factor, and it's understood that a Tesla is not the cheapest car on the road. But unless you're entirely atypical, it will make all that driving actually enjoyable.

If the Canadian rebate trigger is at just a little over the Model 3 price, can't you just add a color option or wheels or a roof rack and get over the line?
Tesla placed the Model 3 standard range base price right at the cusp of the rebate cutoff but because regulations allow for trim upgrade, the “plus” part is included. Very clever. The federal rebate is $5,000 and provincial (BC) is an additional $3,000. Maybe this explains it better:

“Up to $5,000 rebate for individuals purchasing vehicles with a base MSRP* under $45,000 before including delivery centre fees. Trims of the same Model qualify up to MSRP $55,000 before delivery centre fees.”

Delivery and inspection fee is $1280. Is this normal for the US?

Attachments

• 4D065E1A-436A-4791-8892-E23EEA4D0A32.jpeg
    4D065E1A-436A-4791-8892-E23EEA4D0A32.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 59