Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up my Model S tomorrow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I ask when you ordered it ? I'm going crazy with my status remaining at January/Early February since November. I confirmed on 11/6 but asked for a 2017.

I confirmed 11/20 and asked for soon as possible. Was promised by OA and DS it would get to me by end of year. Nope. My Tesla finally updated with delivery range of this week, but, my DS called me to arrange a date for next week. He said they aren't doing any deliveries this week (not sure why). Sucks I have to wait a year now for the $7500 fed tax credit, but, really only hoping not to have any quality issues I've been reading for some who took delivery the last week of December.

Wondering if you checked the inventory? A lot there and maybe one fits your need and you'd get it pretty quick.

But it would be a 2016 and I would have to get credit like you, next year...Oh well...what's another month ? I'd rather get exactly what I ordered but man, keep refreshing and hoping. Now I'm hoping they don't push it back even further ! It's getting into Model 3 and SC V3 range....Overthinking is bad for the potential buyer-Elon take note

Can I ask when you ordered it ? I'm going crazy with my status remaining at January/Early February since November. I confirmed on 11/6 but asked for a 2017.

First post ever on TMC. Been a frequent reader of the message boards since I ordered my Model S. For whatever reason, figured maybe now was a good time for my first post as I sit (im)patiently waiting for my car. This probably is not the right thread to post for this topic, but I saw your post and figured I would give you information as to my order timing as it is somewhat similar to yours. Most people that ordered around the time I did, asked for a 2016 delivery, Therefore, it was difficult to gauge when I should expect my car. I ordered on 10/13 and confirmed on 10/20, a couple of weeks before you. Shortly thereafter, I was asked to make my choice as to EAP and FSD, which I made immediately. Like you, I asked for a January 2017 delivery. Of course, in my mind, I was hoping for delivery the first week of January. However, no such luck. I received the VIN on November 14th. My VIN is 173XXX. I recently noticed that my VIN changed to reflect a 2017 build as it initially reflected a 2016 build. My Tesla account page is still showing a delivery window of "Late January - February". My DS told me that I should "expect" delivery the week of February 6th, based upon what she could tell. Though that certainly could change. I am certainly hoping that this date gets moved up. They have not started to build my car, or at least I have received nothing to suggest that they have. I ordered the next gen seats without the premium package. Is this similar to your build? If so, would you expect that I will be asked about Premium seats as you recently have? I have not received an email about the premium seats. Perhaps that suggests that I will either not have to make that choice? Or perhaps it means that your car is further along in the process than mine? Not sure this helps you, but I am curious if our cars will go into production around the same time.

My VIN is way higher 176, xxx which is strange.....I prompted the seat discussion so the Tesla DS guy asked for me. As far as I know, production is no where near starting. I appreciate the commiseration though. It looks like people are voting to go with the premium seats they offered me so I may have to grovel a little since I pretty much insisted on Next Gen which people here still received after the change. I don't get how weeks of cars can be produced before orders they got in November. Anyone here order in October for a 2017 car ? Can we hold online hands ? I'm so nervous and since that was your first post, I feel we are linked now.

I have not really seen any people that ordered in October and asked for a January delivery (at least not people in the US). That is why I felt compelled to respond to you as my first post. Though you ordered a little after me, you also asked for a 2017 delivery. Admittedly, I was disappointed when I heard from my DS that I should anticipate a February delivery. I figured with ordering so early, I would just get the car in early January. I see now that Tesla apparently builds most of the cars in January for the overseas market. I certainly understand logistics and why they would do that. Therefore, while I am disappointed with getting the car in February, I completely understand why that is the case and am by no means complaining about Tesla's order/production/delivery process. I have heard and seen that Tesla oftentimes moves up the delivery date (provided that you do not order the P100D). Therefore, when I saw your post, I was optimistic that perhaps my date would be moved up and I would get the car in January, albeit late January. I will further post about my production and will monitor your posts as far as your progress. I doubt that I will get my vehicle weeks before you. I suspect that they will go into production around the same time. We do live in different regions of the country which of course could affect production/delivery.

For what it is worth, I sent a quick email to my DS a few moments ago. I have not spoken with her in about 30 days, so I figured now was as good a time as any to reach out and touch base. Maybe I will get some positive news about my delivery.

On a positive note, by the time I (and perhaps you) receive the car perhaps they will have released 8.1 and AP2 will be at least on par with AP1, if not better. Though honestly, it does not matter to me if 8.1 is released by that time or if AP2 is fully functional. I can't even imagine the amount of work/testing that goes into that technology. Just knowing that AP2 will be available in the near future is good enough for me. I have driven a Model S only a couple of times, the longest by far being the "executive test drive". Having driven the car for just a short time there was no doubt, at least in my mind, that it is an amazing vehicle and an incredible piece of technology. Very much looking forward to delivery day. Thanks for your post.

In "pre production" with the next group of cars is what I've been told now. No EXACT time frame from my DS but late January probably about right according to him. I too am surprised we weren't early January as I have read on the MX postings that some of them got 2017's in December. As you say, can't be getting worse at making them my only disappointment so far is that the Next Gen seats went away..

Well, we know where he/she has been all day. Maybe we'll eventually get those details!

Hah - sorry, indeed I was first joyriding and then had a work trip (SO painful to have to leave one day after picking up the car!)

Details: midnight silver 60D (in the pacNW I wanted AWD), next gen seats, glass roof (which is amazing), EAP, premium upgrades

I ordered on 11/20, confirmed on 11/22 - and the car would have been ready just before new years but I was out of town for the holiday, so I picked up on 1/3.

One week in, I still have the grin.

After reading these posts, I decided to email my DS about the seats and I also requested an update about delivery. Following my email, I actually received a call from my sales associates who told me that my car would be built with the premium seats rather than the Next Gen seats as they no longer were making the Next Gen. My sales associate told me that I will be very happy with the new seats as they are "much better". I have no issue with getting the premium seats. I am sure that they are fine. I then received an email from my DS who informed me that they are still estimating that my car will be "ready" around the week of February 6th. I hope that means delivered and not finished with production. She told me that my car is still in pre-production, but was not able to give me any more information than that. Hopefully, my car is also in the next group of cars to be built. I would love to get the car in January, but at this point, that seems unlikely given the production time and transportation time to the Chicago area. Again, a little disappointed to see that people who ordered in December 2016 with no ability to get their car in 2016 received word that car is already in production or in some cases was even delivered in that past week or so. Does not seem right given that I ordered in October, even though I asked for a January delivery rather than the "earliest" delivery. For those lucky few, January was the "earliest" delivery month for them as well. Perhaps I should have just waited until December 5th and ordered my car at that time, requesting the earliest delivery possible. Perhaps I would have received the car sooner. Of course, the fact that I am almost certainly not even going to get the car in January anyway, is even more disappointing. But I am sure the disappointment will evaporate the minute I sit in the car for the first time. Assuming I take delivery in early February, by March I won't even remember my disappointment. Looking for the silver lining in the delay, I am hoping that this extra time means that AP2 will be that much further along by the time I get my car.

I do appreciate the update and I will let you know if I hear anything as well. Good luck.

Hah - sorry, indeed I was first joyriding and then had a work trip (SO painful to have to leave one day after picking up the car!)

Details: midnight silver 60D (in the pacNW I wanted AWD), next gen seats, glass roof (which is amazing), EAP, premium upgrades

I ordered on 11/20, confirmed on 11/22 - and the car would have been ready just before new years but I was out of town for the holiday, so I picked up on 1/3.

One week in, I still have the grin.
Glad you're enjoying it! I'm a little partial to the midnight silver myself...

I'm nearing 4 years in, you'll be glad to hear it just doesn't ever wear off! 66,000 miles between my original 60 and my "new" 90D!

Reactions: ISkiFast
Sucks I have to wait a year now for the $7500 fed tax credit, but, really only hoping not to have any quality issues I've been reading for some who took delivery the last week of December.

You can change your W-2 withholding right now by $625/month to start recovering the tax break now instead of getting the rebate in 2018. Just be sure to change the W-2 back in jan 2018!

First post ever on TMC. Been a frequent reader of the message boards since I ordered my Model S. For whatever reason, figured maybe now was a good time for my first post as I sit (im)patiently waiting for my car. This probably is not the right thread to post for this topic, but I saw your post and figured I would give you information as to my order timing as it is somewhat similar to yours. Most people that ordered around the time I did, asked for a 2016 delivery, Therefore, it was difficult to gauge when I should expect my car. I ordered on 10/13 and confirmed on 10/20, a couple of weeks before you. Shortly thereafter, I was asked to make my choice as to EAP and FSD, which I made immediately. Like you, I asked for a January 2017 delivery. Of course, in my mind, I was hoping for delivery the first week of January. However, no such luck. I received the VIN on November 14th. My VIN is 173XXX. I recently noticed that my VIN changed to reflect a 2017 build as it initially reflected a 2016 build. My Tesla account page is still showing a delivery window of "Late January - February". My DS told me that I should "expect" delivery the week of February 6th, based upon what she could tell. Though that certainly could change. I am certainly hoping that this date gets moved up. They have not started to build my car, or at least I have received nothing to suggest that they have. I ordered the next gen seats without the premium package. Is this similar to your build? If so, would you expect that I will be asked about Premium seats as you recently have? I have not received an email about the premium seats. Perhaps that suggests that I will either not have to make that choice? Or perhaps it means that your car is further along in the process than mine? Not sure this helps you, but I am curious if our cars will go into production around the same time.
WE ordered a 90D on 10/11, confirmed 10/18, added EAP when available, got a vin of 170xxx
We picked up car on 12/13. So not sure why your delay. We are in California?

WE ordered a 90D on 10/11, confirmed 10/18, added EAP when available, got a vin of 170xxx
We picked up car on 12/13. So not sure why your delay. We are in California?

Thank you for your post. For tax purposes, I had requested delivery in January. Your VIN is much earlier than mine for ordering just the day before. But my VIN was not assigned until November 14th. I assume yours was assigned shortly after your order confirmed. I understand why I did not get the car in December. I was just hoping to get it in early January since I ordered in October. It turns out, I will likely not be taking delivery until February. As I say, it is not a huge deal. Would love to have the car already, but I can stick it out a few more weeks.

How do you like your 90D? When I test drove the car, I drove a 75 (non - D version). That car was very fast. I can't imagine how the 90D feels, but certainly look forward to finding out. Any advice, comments, wisdom or observations you care to pass on to a soon to be owner of a 90D? I am in the Chicago area and the cold weather is the main reason I went with the 90D. I wanted as much range as I could afford given the cold weather impact. You don't have that issue in California, I imagine. Any range anxiety with the 90D?

I have been reading these message boards since I ordered. Amazing how much information one can get from fellow owners sharing their wisdom and experience.

Take care.

Gibson, you and I are truly in the same boat. I got info that end of January was likely but early February not out of the question, no Next gen seats, in "pre production" which apparently means the next batch to go into full on production. I was prepared for the wait from November till year end but these next few weeks are going to be TOUGH. Keep hanging in there. We will be all the more prepared for our cars' arrival by checking in here 3-4 times/day...I think the premium seats will be OK too, not going to go squeaky wheel on them for that as the movable headrest really does seem like an upgrade-although it is also one more thing to break-Doh !