Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up my Model S tomorrow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for your post. For tax purposes, I had requested delivery in January. Your VIN is much earlier than mine for ordering just the day before. But my VIN was not assigned until November 14th. I assume yours was assigned shortly after your order confirmed. I understand why I did not get the car in December. I was just hoping to get it in early January since I ordered in October. It turns out, I will likely not be taking delivery until February. As I say, it is not a huge deal. Would love to have the car already, but I can stick it out a few more weeks.

How do you like your 90D? When I test drove the car, I drove a 75 (non - D version). That car was very fast. I can't imagine how the 90D feels, but certainly look forward to finding out. Any advice, comments, wisdom or observations you care to pass on to a soon to be owner of a 90D? I am in the Chicago area and the cold weather is the main reason I went with the 90D. I wanted as much range as I could afford given the cold weather impact. You don't have that issue in California, I imagine. Any range anxiety with the 90D?

I have been reading these message boards since I ordered. Amazing how much information one can get from fellow owners sharing their wisdom and experience.

Take care.
I am loving our new car. I'm 64 , from a technology background, and I was just captivated after testing a 2013 S60 as a rental. We wanted the most range our pocketbook could afford, thus we pushed up to the 90d. The only cars I ever owned that remotely brought me the enjoyment of driving this car were my 2 Camaros from 1970-1978, so pretty much a return to my youth in some ways. I have zero range anxiety, my wife's another story, but she's getting onboard quickly. She has range, spare tire, and AP aniexty. We were fortunate to get the firmware update to limited AP. Having never used it before ( the 2013 rental didn't have it ), I was blown away with my 1st TACC test. A 10 mile freeway and surface street run with no pedal intervention.
To protect our investment we opted for Xpel ( full frontal clear bra ) and Opticoat. We will be getting the windows tinted, and may add a dashcam.
This forum has been great in educating me prior to purchase. I was a lurker for a while and learned plenty. My expectations were clearly defined by what I read here. I didn't expect a perfect car. I simply wanted it to things that really appealed to me ( acceleration, great handling , performance , technology ) On those counts I'm thrilled. If you want perfect fit/finish, typical luxury interiors, all Tesla promises to be delivered on time, superchargers that perform flawlessly, etc, than you probably need to look elsewhere. I made an informed choice, and thus far, quite happy.
And we have had initial issues. Front doors not closing as easily as they should and 2 paint issues. In fact, Tesla has he car now to repaint 2 panels to correct small defects and to address the doors
I am reminded that we made the right decision with this car even as Tesla has it now. The loaner they provided is a Mercedes and it simply isn't a Tesla. I'm missing the car already an they've only had it a few days
I think you'll love your car. Congrats
If you have other questions, please ask

What kind of paint imperfections did your car have ? Did they find them and point them out or did you ?
We had decided to do the Xpel on the front of the car. The installer I chose asked to go to the delivery. He spotted the defects. I've talked about that in other posts.
He found 2 items he felt needed attention
- front drivers panel, where Xpel was going - a straight horizontal scratch near the bottom of panel - only 1/4" or so but noticeable if you look low enough - the scratch was right down to bare metal
- back drivers side panel - no Xpel here but the installer checked the entire car - this was a white speck on black paint - again pretty noticeable when you look - an attempt to fix that with touch up paint at delivery was marginal to say the least
On delivery they said they'd needed up to 6 weeks to fix - I wanted the car without a 6 week wait and wanted 2016 tax credit, so I took the car and had the concerns noted
Once I found the front doors weren't quite right I started having 2nd thoughts about the paint
When we took the car to the service center they now quoted appx 2 weeks to repaint both panels. This was much better then the "up to 6 weeks" we were told at delivery time, so they now have the car for the repaint

I am loving our new car. I'm 64 , from a technology background, and I was just captivated after testing a 2013 S60 as a rental. We wanted the most range our pocketbook could afford, thus we pushed up to the 90d. The only cars I ever owned that remotely brought me the enjoyment of driving this car were my 2 Camaros from 1970-1978, so pretty much a return to my youth in some ways. I have zero range anxiety, my wife's another story, but she's getting onboard quickly. She has range, spare tire, and AP aniexty. We were fortunate to get the firmware update to limited AP. Having never used it before ( the 2013 rental didn't have it ), I was blown away with my 1st TACC test. A 10 mile freeway and surface street run with no pedal intervention.
To protect our investment we opted for Xpel ( full frontal clear bra ) and Opticoat. We will be getting the windows tinted, and may add a dashcam.
This forum has been great in educating me prior to purchase. I was a lurker for a while and learned plenty. My expectations were clearly defined by what I read here. I didn't expect a perfect car. I simply wanted it to things that really appealed to me ( acceleration, great handling , performance , technology ) On those counts I'm thrilled. If you want perfect fit/finish, typical luxury interiors, all Tesla promises to be delivered on time, superchargers that perform flawlessly, etc, than you probably need to look elsewhere. I made an informed choice, and thus far, quite happy.
And we have had initial issues. Front doors not closing as easily as they should and 2 paint issues. In fact, Tesla has he car now to repaint 2 panels to correct small defects and to address the doors
I am reminded that we made the right decision with this car even as Tesla has it now. The loaner they provided is a Mercedes and it simply isn't a Tesla. I'm missing the car already an they've only had it a few days
I think you'll love your car. Congrats
If you have other questions, please ask

Thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed response. Glad you love the car. I too was amazed at AP during my test drive. I was sold on the car before that, but AP was the icing on the cake. Looking forward to AP2. Like you, I have been a lurker of these boards for several months. I have read some of the comments about various build imperfections and issues with fit/finish and use of superchargers in the extreme cold. I think I am prepared for that and do not think it will bother me. Being an "early adopter" I have grown to expect certain issues and am quite forgiving and patient, particularly with technology.

At this point, I think the thing that concerns me the most is cabin heating and to a lesser extent its impact on range. Living in California, you likely aren't concerned about heating the car in the extreme cold. Living in Chicago, I will have to deal with freezing temperatures often and an occasional polar vortex. Having read these boards, I am a little concerned about keeping everyone comfortable when it is below freezing outside. I am not a huge fan of wearing a jacket, hat and gloves while driving and I know my wife won't be either. Hopefully, those comments are overblown and the cabin heating is better than some report. Fortunately, with the 90D, I should be able to use plenty of battery power to keep the cabin comfortable throughout my travels as my longest daily drive is typically about 160 miles round trip, and that drive is no more than twice a month. There is a supercharger in my destination city, so I really only need to get 80 miles or so if I want to stop and charge while there. Of course, I am hoping that I can make the round trip without charging. On most days, I will of course take advantage of preheating the car while plugged in at home. I may also charge to 100% on those long travel days.

Again, really appreciate the response. I hope the issues you noted are resolved quickly and you continue enjoying the car.

Gibson, you and I are truly in the same boat. I got info that end of January was likely but early February not out of the question, no Next gen seats, in "pre production" which apparently means the next batch to go into full on production. I was prepared for the wait from November till year end but these next few weeks are going to be TOUGH. Keep hanging in there. We will be all the more prepared for our cars' arrival by checking in here 3-4 times/day...I think the premium seats will be OK too, not going to go squeaky wheel on them for that as the movable headrest really does seem like an upgrade-although it is also one more thing to break-Doh !

You only check in 3-4 times per day? :) As often as I check in to this site one would think the more often I check in the faster my car will be built. If only that were true. I will keep you posted as to anything I hear about my model S.

I ordered a 60D on October 22nd for a February delivery. So far not much info other than the late January-February delivery estimate. My vin is 176xxx so same ballpark as Watts Son although apparently they don't follow the vin sequence on the assembly line. As for seats, I ordered the standard seats so not sure if it will be the old style seats from when I ordered or the ones that showed up in the configurator a week after in November. I'd ask my DS but part of me just wants to find out on delivery day.

Bare bones 60D, subzero, AP2.

Nothing barebones about "D" ...Gentlemen(or ladies), I'm guessing within 7 days we will have notification that our cars are in production. I plan on binging on some Netflix and watching a new president take office during that time. We are having some major rain here ( I got "D too !) so I'm pretending not to want the car to get here yesterday.

Gibson, you and I are truly in the same boat. I got info that end of January was likely but early February not out of the question, no Next gen seats, in "pre production" which apparently means the next batch to go into full on production. I was prepared for the wait from November till year end but these next few weeks are going to be TOUGH. Keep hanging in there. We will be all the more prepared for our cars' arrival by checking in here 3-4 times/day...I think the premium seats will be OK too, not going to go squeaky wheel on them for that as the movable headrest really does seem like an upgrade-although it is also one more thing to break-Doh !

I received some great news a short while ago. Wanted to let you know given our similar situation. While checking the "My Tesla" page as I do religiously a couple of times per day, I noticed that my car is now "in production". Not entirely certain when it officially switched (last night or this morning). I have not received an email or phone call from my DS, but it is Sunday so perhaps that will happen tomorrow. I will keep you posted as to what I hear. I hope that you received a similar update this afternoon. If not, perhaps very soon. Seems like your DS was right.

Now, hopefully they will work out all the kinks with AP2 in the next few weeks and it will all come together at the right time.

Best of luck with your order.