Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up my new to me 2015 P85D today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking my car up in 2 hrs (not that I'm counting ;)), purchased from a 1 owner private party.
Really excited to get it, this is my 55th car I think, I'm in no way wealthy, just a lover of all things auto. I have to say I'm more excited by this one than nearly all the others in the past!
Looking forward to learning from and participating in the forum's.

55 cars!!! WOW, what were your top 5 favorites?

Can we take bets on how fast you swap out your ICE cars for other Tesla's to get to 56, 57, 58....I see plaid in your future.

Good question, I'm guessing the Tesla will be on the list of top 5's even after the short drive home.
In no particular order I'd go:
2007 Audi S8 - superb car for under $20k, smooth, powerful V10 engine, comfy, unfortunately totaled 2 years ago courtesy of the MN winters.
2011 BMW 328 - just does everything really well for what it is, had it for 6 years, longest I have every kept a car
2002 BMW M5 - Sub $20k bargain, Grey metallic with Caramel leather, what an engine, sold it to move house :(
2002 Seat Cupra 1.8T - Company car in the UK, thrashed the living daylights out of it every say for 3 years, didn't miss a beat.
1995 Jaguar XJ6 - Sapphire Blue with Oatmeal leather, out first really nice car, felt like the ultimate luxury, made you want to play the Lock Stock and Two Smocking Barrels soundtrack in it

Welcome too... please let us know if you experience any of the myriad electronic failures I have experienced in my P85+. Non-presenting door handles... non-functional windows... inoperative rear hatch... broken and leaky panoramic roof... underbody panel coming off on the highway. Does you car have any extended warranty still alive ?
Don’t rain on the guys parade. I bought a second hand, 2016 P90D and it has been perfect.

Welcome too... please let us know if you experience any of the myriad electronic failures I have experienced in my P85+. Non-presenting door handles... non-functional windows... inoperative rear hatch... broken and leaky panoramic roof... underbody panel coming off on the highway. Does you car have any extended warranty still alive ?
My P85D has been the best car I've ever owned by a good margin, and I've owned a similar variety as the OP. Not flawless, but for such a game changer it's a marvel.

Reactions: BrokerDon and SO16
Your problems..........

Every single car has issues. The
OP didn’t come on here today to ask about issues but to say he was excited.

Good question, I'm guessing the Tesla will be on the list of top 5's even after the short drive home.
In no particular order I'd go:
2007 Audi S8 - superb car for under $20k, smooth, powerful V10 engine, comfy, unfortunately totaled 2 years ago courtesy of the MN winters.
2011 BMW 328 - just does everything really well for what it is, had it for 6 years, longest I have every kept a car
2002 BMW M5 - Sub $20k bargain, Grey metallic with Caramel leather, what an engine, sold it to move house :(
2002 Seat Cupra 1.8T - Company car in the UK, thrashed the living daylights out of it every say for 3 years, didn't miss a beat.
1995 Jaguar XJ6 - Sapphire Blue with Oatmeal leather, out first really nice car, felt like the ultimate luxury, made you want to play the Lock Stock and Two Smocking Barrels soundtrack in it

I assume you are no stranger to a wrench set?

Congrats on the purchase. almost 3 years and 100,000 km I have put on mine and when I get in it to drive it is still like the first week. Buying this car is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

• Love
Reactions: gavine and SO16
I assume you are no stranger to a wrench set?

Congrats on the purchase. almost 3 years and 100,000 km I have put on mine and when I get in it to drive it is still like the first week. Buying this car is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Yes I do my own wrenching actually really enjoy working on my cars, be interested in seeing how that works with this car as online info seems relatively limited vs ICE cars.

In my experience all cars have issues especially if you buy used, but you trade that cost with the depreciation savings you get. I track evry one of my cars closely and maintenance/repairs cost way less than depreciation. However most people ignore that cost of ownership. I dont expect a 5 yr old 50k mile car to be faultless, same applies to every ICE car I have purchased. Do a forum search of any used car your interested in and it will scare you off, my experience is the % of cars with known forum issues is low. Time will tell I guess

Every single car has issues. The
OP didn’t come on here today to ask about issues but to say he was excited.

Most reasonable buyers would not expect Toyota or Honda reliability from a Tesla. But for criminy sake - I have watched and experienced how the company has tightened up and consistently changed its warranty terms as it has discovered a greater number of defects and poorly engineered components in its early generation vehicles. In other words... items it no longer wants to cover because it's costing them $$$.

I didn't sign up to be Elon's guinea pig.

Most reasonable buyers would not expect Toyota or Honda reliability from a Tesla. But for criminy sake - I have watched and experienced how the company has tightened up and consistently changed its warranty terms as it has discovered a greater number of defects and poorly engineered components in its early generation vehicles. In other words... items it no longer wants to cover because it's costing them $$$.

I didn't sign up to be Elon's guinea pig.
Going off topic a bit here but:
I witnessed Tesla proposing incredible warranty, stellar service and amazing sales and support experience in the early years. Lots of goodwill and fun too. A real sense of community.
The enthusiast buyers that cared more about the mission gave them in return coulance with regard to the issues the car had, being produced by a novice manufacturer.
But then came success, and for sure this was my hope: for Tesla to succeed.
But this success means new type of owners expecting the usual relationship between a vendor and a customer (customer is king). And so that other type of customer having less tolerance to issues with the car meant Tesla had to adapt to this “dynamic” by switching to more strict warranty and conditions.
Just an uneducated guess.