Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up my new to me 2015 P85D today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking my car up in 2 hrs (not that I'm counting ;)), purchased from a 1 owner private party.
Really excited to get it, this is my 55th car I think, I'm in no way wealthy, just a lover of all things auto. I have to say I'm more excited by this one than nearly all the others in the past!
Looking forward to learning from and participating in the forum's.
Congratulations! Wish you well, and welcome to the community! My Model X was my 53rd vehicle, and by far the most amazing ever!

Reactions: JoeCW
Congrats. I just my 1 year anniversary from when I picked up my p85d. I’ve only put on less than 10k due to COVID/Wfh. Luckily I’ve had a pretty good experience from Tesla during the purchase, delivery and service standpoint.

I brought the car for failed cinch motor for trunk and they replaced my rear tail due to a bug. I was given a rental Tesla both times.

car is fun to drive and I love not having to gas up anymore and the carpool lane access

Most reasonable buyers would not expect Toyota or Honda reliability from a Tesla. But for criminy sake - I have watched and experienced how the company has tightened up and consistently changed its warranty terms as it has discovered a greater number of defects and poorly engineered components in its early generation vehicles. In other words... items it no longer wants to cover because it's costing them $$$.

I didn't sign up to be Elon's guinea pig.
And again I say. Wrong thread to be spouting off! I’ve been with Tesla since 2012 I’ve seen it all. Still a great company with great cars. LOVE my p85d. Will love my upcoming plaid as likely Y.

Our 2015 P85D+ has been the most reliable, fun, FAST, quiet, economical ($/mile) and rewarding car I've ever owned. Tesla service has been great, albeit slower since the M3 onslaught. I'll consider selling our P85D+ when FSD becomes a reality and stabilized... Hopefully after Plaid deliveries have been filled and I can grab an "inventory" Plaid like our "inventory" P85D+.

Good question, I'm guessing the Tesla will be on the list of top 5's even after the short drive home.
In no particular order I'd go:
2007 Audi S8 - superb car for under $20k, smooth, powerful V10 engine, comfy, unfortunately totaled 2 years ago courtesy of the MN winters.
2011 BMW 328 - just does everything really well for what it is, had it for 6 years, longest I have every kept a car
2002 BMW M5 - Sub $20k bargain, Grey metallic with Caramel leather, what an engine, sold it to move house :(
2002 Seat Cupra 1.8T - Company car in the UK, thrashed the living daylights out of it every say for 3 years, didn't miss a beat.
1995 Jaguar XJ6 - Sapphire Blue with Oatmeal leather, out first really nice car, felt like the ultimate luxury, made you want to play the Lock Stock and Two Smocking Barrels soundtrack in it

That's an interesting list. Now that you've had it for a few days, how do you think your Model S compares?

Thank you all for your comments and support. Been pretty busy this weekend but did get a chance to give it a full one over clean inside and out. Overall I really like the car, it does take some time to get used to vs driving an ICE in the way it operates and feels. However I do have a few issues with the car that I am trying to work through. I plan of posting a new thread where I'll journal my ownership experience, I have read these on other forums in the past and found them very helpful when researching buying a car and what its like to live with/repair/drive one, hopefully it will be of interest.

P85D I think was the best car Tesla has made. I have a friend that has one loves it, I got a 2017 MS75, on 3yrs.+ now still love to drive it every day
Mine was a 2014, so had the firmer suspension, then I did the Ludicrous. I loved that car, it changed my life, it started an obsession that has not yet relented.
Picking my car up in 2 hrs (not that I'm counting ;)), purchased from a 1 owner private party.
Really excited to get it, this is my 55th car I think, I'm in no way wealthy, just a lover of all things auto. I have to say I'm more excited by this one than nearly all the others in the past!
Looking forward to learning from and participating in the forum's.
By the time you read this posts you'll probably be so besotted that you'll fit right in to the rest of us who've lost all rationality when speaking of our one true love. FWIW, my spouse referred to that car as "his mistress", and she was correct.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Going off topic a bit here but:
I witnessed Tesla proposing incredible warranty, stellar service and amazing sales and support experience in the early years. Lots of goodwill and fun too. A real sense of community.
The enthusiast buyers that cared more about the mission gave them in return coulance with regard to the issues the car had, being produced by a novice manufacturer.
But then came success, and for sure this was my hope: for Tesla to succeed.
But this success means new type of owners expecting the usual relationship between a vendor and a customer (customer is king). And so that other type of customer having less tolerance to issues with the car meant Tesla had to adapt to this “dynamic” by switching to more strict warranty and conditions.
Just an uneducated guess.

You're quite on the mark - and yes - I would like Tesla to succeed, along with the entire EV market for that matter. I suppose my biggest beef with Tesla is that it is now expecting it can charge premium prices for often poorly built vehicles. If Model 3's were rolling off the line in the 30K to 35K range... maybe there would be more forgiveness in there. But 80K to 100K and up for Model S and Model X ? You've got to be kidding.

What I find really ironic about the whole situation is that the cure is quite simple -- and Elon is making the wrong decisions at every turn. His plate has too many selections from the buffet, and his ego can't be swayed. This is why I'm quite interested in the upcoming VW and Ford EV's. Somehow I don't feel as if their EV customers will be treated like lepers.

Thank you all for your comments and support. Been pretty busy this weekend but did get a chance to give it a full one over clean inside and out. Overall I really like the car, it does take some time to get used to vs driving an ICE in the way it operates and feels. However I do have a few issues with the car that I am trying to work through. I plan of posting a new thread where I'll journal my ownership experience, I have read these on other forums in the past and found them very helpful when researching buying a car and what its like to live with/repair/drive one, hopefully it will be of interest.

Join the Minnesota Tesla Club on Facebook. Lots of great events, info and local resources.

and yes - I would like Tesla to succeed, along with the entire EV market for that matter.

:)

But 80K to 100K and up for Model S and Model X ? You've got to be kidding.

You missed the party... Model S and X had prices up to 170K.
And for another (lower) level of quality.

The current new S and X are a bargain for much better build quality and bang for bucks (ie larger battery, faster SuC speed, full options, faster, better handling... (long list).

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA