TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Picking up new car- how many miles? What to look for?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MikeR55, Sep 21, 2019.

1. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

My AWD 3 is finally being delivered for pick up. On the purchase agreement they sent over for my loan it says the odometer has 50 miles on it. Isn't that high for a brand new car I'm picking up at the dealer in Burbank, CA?

UPDATE: My sales person tells me 50 miles is the default Tesla writes down and not the actual mileage.

Also what other things should I look for other than paint damage and that everything is working?

What is something you wished you checked before driving it off the lot?

2. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

Check the paint in the sun.

3. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

Congrats on your purchase. Just do a search on this forum and ye shall find out everything you could ever want to know. Oh, and don’t forget to inspect underneath the car specifically the jack points.

4. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

There’s a few checklists available on the web that you can search for. Plan to spend 45 minutes looking over the car both inside and out. Look for paint imperfections, dents, scratches, excessive body panel gaps, and any other cosmetic defects you can find. Don’t sign any paperwork until you inspect the car and don’t accept the car if it needs any paint or body work. Let them fix the car before you’ve accepted it and paid for it because you only have 7 days to return it if there is anything wrong with it.

• Like x 1
  5. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Thanks! Gotta Google jack points...

6. leeeeee

leeeeee Member

FWIW, we saw 50 on some of the paperwork too. Car had like 10 miles on it at delivery.

One thing I didn't know was that the car doesn't come with the 14-50 plug any more

• Like x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

The paperwork says 50 because the car never has 50 and the paperwork has to state more than the car actually has. Therefore they use 50. Mine also had about 10 miles from testing and moving around, etc.

• Like x 1
  8. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Yeah and they are all sold out in the Tesla site.

• Helpful x 1
  9. simplego

simplego Member

Just make sure you aren’t pressured into signing the papers until you have inspected the vehicle throughly and find everything to your liking :)

• Like x 1