Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up tomorrow, Tesla said I have a 15 minute window to pickup, BS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Don!

I am incredibly excited for you to be picking up your Tesla! Your 15-minute pickup appointment is scheduled for July 11th, 2018 @ 11:00AM at our Houston-North service center, located at:

14820 North Fwy

Houston, TX 77090

To ensure there are no delays on during your appointment, please carefully review the information below for accuracy:

My reply. Magan, I am looking forward to it but I can tell you right now I am going to take longer than 15 minutes to inspect before I accept. I dont expect any problems as I see most customers on teslamotorsclub.com are very happy but 15 minutes to inspect a 57K car is not acceptable, if you want to schedule a longer period some other day that is ok. don

Take as much time as is necessary. They may walk you to your car but they can’t make you drive it away. With that said, the more prepared you are, the better it will go.

A careful walkthrough including inspections of every exterior surface and every interior trim piece won’t take that long, and having a checklist in hand speeds things up quite a bit. Just circle whatever’s not right, transfer it to a due bill, and you’ve probably got 90% of the effort accomplished in those 15 minutes - except of course it won’t be 15 minutes. It takes that long to review and sign the paperwork and for them to make copies.

The last car had 2 bad interior trim pieces, both of which were replaced on site. One of those pieces was bad, and my local SvC got to replace that one with a 3rd contender. There was paint damage; Tesla paid my master detailer directly. The body panels were mostly aligned this time.

It took longer to sign the paperwork than it did to do the above walkthrough. In fairness, there were 2 of us doing the walkthrough, which also helps. Having someone along with an extra set of eyes is highly recommended.

30 minutes does not seem completely unreasonable. 15 minutes is pushing it. There’s more than 15 minutes of tutorial. The tutorial video they use now is half that long anyway.

PS: Bring a good tire pressure gauge. My tires were underinflated by 8 pounds. 3 pounds under door label spec, and 8 pounds under owners manual spec.

Last edited:
Take as much time as is necessary. They may walk you to your car but they can’t make you drive it away. With that said, the more prepared you are, the better it will go.

A careful walkthrough including inspections of every exterior surface and every interior trim piece won’t take that long, and having a checklist in hand speeds things up quite a bit. Just circle whatever’s not right, transfer it to a due bill, and you’ve probably got 90% of the effort accomplished in those 15 minutes - except of course it won’t be 15 minutes. It takes that long to review and sign the paperwork and for them to make copies.

The last car had 2 bad interior trim pieces, both of which were replaced on site. One of those pieces was bad, and my local SvC got to replace that one with a 3rd contender. There was paint damage; Tesla paid my master detailer directly. The body panels were mostly aligned this time.

It took longer to sign the paperwork than it did to do the above walkthrough. In fairness, there were 2 of us doing the walkthrough, which also helps. Having someone along with an extra set of eyes is highly recommended.

30 minutes does not seem completely unreasonable. 15 minutes is pushing it. There’s more than 15 minutes of tutorial. The tutorial video they use now is half that long anyway.
I agree.

The Tesla store person can go away after their 15 to 30 min....however I wouldn't drive it away until I was fully satisfied.

As its been stated......They can't make you drive it away. They can go away and let you finish. I'm not trying to suggest being rude about it at all because any anomalies will be a Tesla issue....not the delivery persons issue....but careful evaluation might save a return visit to the service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
LOL....those VINS posted 4 minutes ago.

You are trying to be sneaky.
I’m very well aware of that :)

But the first July they registered 6,160 VINs and they have done several registrations wish smal numbers since then so they could probably built a lot new cars without another registration. Just look at the Bloomberg tracker and you see that even without today’s registration they can built over 10k more.

Terms of Service Violation

I’m very well aware of that :)

But the first July they registered 6,160 VINs and they have done several registrations wish smal numbers since then so they could probably built a lot new cars without another registration. Just look at the Bloomberg tracker and you see that even without today’s registration they can built over 10k more.

Terms of Service Violation
Sorry.

I'm not trusting Bloomberg for anything. Its a guesstimate. There is nothing at all official about Bloomberg.

Sorry.

I'm not trusting Bloomberg for anything. Its a guesstimate. There is nothing at all official about Bloomberg.
Even if you don’t trust Bloombergs number, according to Tesla’s own numbers they had produce about 40k by the end of Q2 and they had registered up to VIN 62557 the first July. That means they had about one month of production already registered and we don’t need to see a lot of new registration to know that Tesla is producing cars at least for this month.

Hi Don!

I am incredibly excited for you to be picking up your Tesla! Your 15-minute pickup appointment is scheduled for July 11th, 2018 @ 11:00AM at our Houston-North service center, located at:

14820 North Fwy

Houston, TX 77090

To ensure there are no delays on during your appointment, please carefully review the information below for accuracy:

My reply. Magan, I am looking forward to it but I can tell you right now I am going to take longer than 15 minutes to inspect before I accept. I dont expect any problems as I see most customers on teslamotorsclub.com are very happy but 15 minutes to inspect a 57K car is not acceptable, if you want to schedule a longer period some other day that is ok. don

Think of the 15 minute window another way: they are telling you that it should only take you 15 minutes to complete the process to get your car.

It doesn't say that you only have 15 minutes.

But it would imply that if you're late, or if you take longer than 15 minutes going over your car, you might have to wait for the salesperson's attention.

Reactions: Stacks and d21mike
Even if you don’t trust Bloombergs number, according to Tesla’s own numbers they had produce about 40k by the end of Q2 and they had registered up to VIN 62557 the first July. That means they had about one month of production already registered and we don’t need to see a lot of new registration to know that Tesla is producing cars at least for this month.
Tesla needs to deliver as many Model 3's as possible. Period. Storing up Model 3's makes no sense. None at all!!

Deliver them to Canada or anywhere else that has left had drive cars.

So what if Tesla delivers 40K in a month. Who would care? They aren't limited to 5k per week.

Tesla needs to deliver as many Model 3's as possible. Period. Storing up Model 3's makes no sense. None at all!!

Deliver them to Canada or anywhere else that has left had drive cars.

So what if Tesla delivers 40K in a month. Who would care? They aren't limited to 5k per week.
If you look at Teslas history it’s not something strange with them having about two weeks of production on there way to customer and if they where halting deliveries for for tax credit it makes even more sense. They maybe new that a car produce the last weeks in June wouldn’t be able to be send to Canada and delivered so they wait with let then stock them for later delivery.

Be thankful you’re getting 15 minutes, the rest of us will get only 5!
You will only get five if you allow yourself to be bullied. You are the customer. Tesla seems to be forgetting that. They act like they are doing you a favor selling you a car. Would you put up with this treatment at a dealer? Hell NO.

I think the "15 min" is more an information notice than a time limitation. Prior to Tesla's delivery, I don't think I have spent less than 3 hours in any dealership buying a car. It took 30 min just to sign all the paper and telling the finance guy "no, no, no, don't need lo jack,, don't need gap insurance, no scotch guard, etc..."

Tesla didn't try to sell us anything. Not wall connector, no accessories, not even extended warranty or annual service. It took about 3 min to sign all the paper, and about 10 to 15 min to go over the car. They have like a script... pretty much the same if you go to a show room and look at the car. The only thing extra I made them do was to test out the summon feature. You can see that nobody asked to do that because she looked shocked, but she did it right there in the center. Everyone was looking. I wanted to see if summon will stop the car before it hits the wall and it did. :p

Be thankful you’re getting 15 minutes, the rest of us will get only 5!
I'll take some of that 5 min, Sign and Drive handoff. I am an adult many times over, I don't need any hand-holding. I have memorized the owner's manual, I have watched all the Tesla instructional videos, I will attend the 2 hour new owner orientation at a later time if necessary, and the service center/ranger will fix any and all flaws as I discover them later. Check the durn tire pressure once you have driven the car outside if you are that anil! I will be super-pi$$ed if I see a guy with a 5 page checklist, laser light, micrometer, and air pressure gauge in front of me delaying my delivery for an hour!
t2411.gif
DO THAT OUTSIDE! (I'm in the mood for a bunch of "disagree"s this morning :p)

My ISA indicated that my delivery appointment would typically take 5 to 10 minutes. He included the links to the owners manual and training videos for review, which was recommended in order to speed up delivery. It ended up taking more like 15 minutes with paperwork, inspection, and an extremely brief walk-through of the screen UI. The DS was definitely rushing it as they had a lot of deliveries that day and they needed the space for the next appointment. The delivery bay only had room for 3 cars. Due to the rush to get me out the door, I didn't notice the scratches on the glove box and the gear selector stalk cover/casing starting to pop off until after I left the store. Service is going to take a look at it next week.

Despite the lackluster and rushed delivery experience...I'm just happy to have the car and i'm satisfied that they will take care of the minor imperfections in the interior.

Think of the 15 minute window another way: they are telling you that it should only take you 15 minutes to complete the process to get your car.

It doesn't say that you only have 15 minutes.

But it would imply that if you're late, or if you take longer than 15 minutes going over your car, you might have to wait for the salesperson's attention.
I was thinking the same thing while reading this. In summer 2016 we got my wife's Mercedes GLC and it literary took HOURS to take delivery of the car with all the BS Paper work and trying to upsale etc. I hated the experience. When I got my Model S in Fremont (Sept 2017) the paper work took like 5-10 minutes "before" (hind site seemed strange) I went to get my car. Anyway, the guy took pictures of me with the car and I check it out (while taking about 20+ pictures all around in case I missed something) but not really a heavy inspection. I did feel a bit rushed going thru the driver setup stuff but not a big deal. The main thing I did not get help with that I wish I had was charging. I watched videos but did not catch the part about pushing the button to unplug (while car is unlocked). And I was driving home from Fremont, CA to LA after getting the car. Nice to have fellow Tesla owners to help out with my first supercharger stop.