Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pickup is in three days - still no request for final payment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My pickup appointment is in three days. I’ve already uploaded my insurance info via the app, so the first two checkboxes are done.

I would have thought Tesla would have asked for my final payment (down payment, since I’m financing) by now, but not so much. How close to pickup date does the app usually ping you for final payment details? Is there a rule of thumb, or is it truly a case-by-case basis?

My concern is that they might not have asked for final payment details because there’s been a delay in transporting the car to the pickup location, and it won’t be ready for pickup in three days as scheduled. Am I worrying for nothing?

Plz and thx.

i would assume they are not going to ask until you are thee getting the car as what if somthing is wrong with the car and you refuse delivery? you dont pay for a new car before you go to the dealer to get the car

They will be asking for your final payment as soon as the VIN is ready, but for sure as soon as the delivery 4-day window is final. They have nothing to lose by getting your money as early as possible. You don't have to pay them a dime before pick if it's a cash deal, but for 3rd party finance, that financing check must be in their hands before the pick up day. If you are paying a down payment, it musty be bank draft (cert check) handed over at delivery, or if you are paying ACH, that must be paid 3 days at least prior to delivery so it has time to clear.

Who are you financing with? Both times I got my Tesla I just brought the check the day of delivery.
Tesla/U.S. Bank. They were on-par with my local CU.

They will be asking for your final payment as soon as the VIN is ready, but for sure as soon as the delivery 4-day window is final. They have nothing to lose by getting your money as early as possible. You don't have to pay them a dime before pick if it's a cash deal, but for 3rd party finance, that financing check must be in their hands before the pick up day. If you are paying a down payment, it musty be bank draft (cert check) handed over at delivery, or if you are paying ACH, that must be paid 3 days at least prior to delivery so it has time to clear.

I got the VIN last Sunday, less than 24 hours after I placed my order. So I’ve had the VIN for several days. And I have a finalized date and time for pickup (approximately 72 hours from the time I am writing this post).

So like you said, I am surprised they haven’t even asked for my down payment yet. The “Final Payment” section on the app is still greyed-out.

Tesla/U.S. Bank. They were on-par with my local CU.

I got the VIN last Sunday, less than 24 hours after I placed my order. So I’ve had the VIN for several days. And I have a finalized date and time for pickup (approximately 72 hours from the time I am writing this post).

So like you said, I am surprised they haven’t even asked for my down payment yet. The “Final Payment” section on the app is still greyed-out.
Well, since they are doing the financing, you are good there. The rest can be paid by bank draft on the day of. So you are ok there as well.

And you can call them as well. The two times I called Tesla, they got me all the info I needed. All the reps seem to have access to all data to answer any question you have.

My pickup appointment is in three days. I’ve already uploaded my insurance info via the app, so the first two checkboxes are done.

I would have thought Tesla would have asked for my final payment (down payment, since I’m financing) by now, but not so much. How close to pickup date does the app usually ping you for final payment details? Is there a rule of thumb, or is it truly a case-by-case basis?

My concern is that they might not have asked for final payment details because there’s been a delay in transporting the car to the pickup location, and it won’t be ready for pickup in three days as scheduled. Am I worrying for nothing?

Plz and thx.

Only states that dont allow tesla direct sales "require" a down payment to be paid before you go to the delivery appointment. I dont know if Louisiana is one such state. If Louisiana is a state that allows tesla sales, you can either get a cashiers check for your down payment from your bank, or use teslas electronic service to transfer it before hand.

I dont trust plaid (the payment company) so told the delivery person "I am bringing a cashiers check for my down payment". I also did third party financing (through my credit union, navy federal) and had a bank check for that, so told them I was bringing a bank check and a cashiers check.

They had no issue with either, and the cashiers check was for a pretty significant amount (30k) and they didnt bat an eyelash at it.

Reactions: squirk
Well, since they are doing the financing, you are good there. The rest can be paid by bank draft on the day of. So you are ok there as well.

And you can call them as well. The two times I called Tesla, they got me all the info I needed. All the reps seem to have access to all data to answer any question you have.
I’m trying not to be more of a PITA than I already have been with them.

Picking up the car is a 5-hour round trip, plus the 90 minutes or so for the paperwork and hand-off. So, it’s a full day off of work.

I just don’t want to put in the PTO and rearrange my work schedule only to drive 2.5 hours and be told there was a snafu and pickup needs to be delayed.

Seems like from the delivery-day videos I’ve watched in YouTube, it seemed like 90 minutes soup-to-nuts (check-in, inspection, paperwork, topping off the battery, etc.). YMMV, I’m sure.

For me it was 10 mins, including the time for the guy to attach my plate and get the key cards he forgot to leave in the car.
Then again, I was 100% paid up before I got there and had no trade in.

On pickup day, we went to the dealership, checked the car, signed all the paperwork, set up the app, paired to car, and the rep gaves us our keycards. Then he said have a great weekend and enjoy your new Tesla! We were about to walk to the car and drive away when I asked, what about our final payment? He laughed and said oh yeah that would be great if we can get that now, but don't worry we can find you anyway.

For me it was 10 mins, including the time for the guy to attach my plate and get the key cards he forgot to leave in the car.
Then again, I was 100% paid up before I got there and had no trade in.

Maybe I’m watching the wrong delivery day videos then.

He laughed and said oh yeah that would be great if we can get that now, but don't worry we can find you anyway.
Not at all unsettling or chilling.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProjectTrinity
Only states that dont allow tesla direct sales "require" a down payment to be paid before you go to the delivery appointment. I dont know if Louisiana is one such state.
Louisiana does not allow Tesla direct sales, which I guess explains why I have to drive 2.5 hours into Mississippi to pick the car up. But yeah, based on what you are saying, I would have expected them to hit me up for some money by now.

Maybe it’ll be like @Brolan, and everything will start flooding in at the 11th hour. 🤷‍♂️