Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pickup owner's door hit my Model 3, Sentry caught on camera. What now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was out eating dinner with my son, and parked far away from everyone else against a curb. Sure enough, a Silverado parks right next to me. We finished eating and ran to the car because a storm was brewing. Didn't notice the scratches and rear door ding until I got home. Was doing some stuff in the garage tonight when I noticed the damage.

Basically, there's a small chip in the rear driver's door and some light scratch marks that I was able to mostly rub off (I'll have to see the full extent of the damage when it's light outside). From what I can tell though, there are no dents in the aluminum, just scraped and chipped paint. Kinda bummed as the car has been immaculate since I bought it.

Anyway, I went back and found the Sentry footage, and the guy was farting around with his driver's door open. The strong wind (which I mentioned above) caught the door and slammed it into my car. He goes over, observes the damage, then hops back in his truck and drives off. Luckily, the camera clearly caught his license plate in full view.

With that evidence, is it even worth going through insurance for some door dings and a door that will need to be repainted? I don't even know how to go about things as I've never had actual video evidence before when this happened in years past with previous cars. I have Geico, BTW.

Keep in mind as soon as you report it you might end up with a CarFax ding. Even if not your fault and his insurance pays.

Ideally he’d pay out of pocket, but that’s not likely to happen. If you do pursue, contact your insurance company and let them go fight it on your behalf.

If it’s easy to fix it might not be worth going after him. Might get your own estimate first.

Contacted Geico; it was so easy (that a caveman could do it). When I told her that it was the Tesla that was hit and that I had video footage with the license plate, she was practically giddy with excitement at nailing his ass.

Already have an appointment setup with the collision repair shop for next Friday and the rental car is setup. I’ll pay my $250 deductible, but they’ll fight his insurance (USAA) to get that back.

The only thing that sucks is that I’ll have to get gas for the rental… yuck 🤮🤣

I was able to see the damage in the sunlight. The door is dented in two place, 1) where the paint chip is, and 2) about a foot below at the second impact point where the scrapes were. Definitely glad I filed the claim.

Keep in mind as soon as you report it you might end up with a CarFax ding. Even if not your fault and his insurance pays.

Ideally he’d pay out of pocket, but that’s not likely to happen. If you do pursue, contact your insurance company and let them go fight it on your behalf.

If it’s easy to fix it might not be worth going after him. Might get your own estimate first.

I thought about that as well, but I figured, I'm paying for insurance, so I might as well have them handle it on my behalf. What's the point in me paying $1,300 or so a year for insurance my Tesla and my wife's Outback and I'm not really "getting" anything out of it. In my 26 years of driving, I've never filed an accident claim. I've filed for 5 windshield replacements and one crack repair during that time. That's it. For the money I've spent, I'm gonna use it ;)

Last time I filed an accident report ( not my fault )with my Insurance Co., our rates went up dramatically. Changed companies after a length of time.
Yup. And when you switch insurance companies they will whack you if you had any event what so ever. Not to mention a CarFax report generated lowering resale value.

I set mine to absolute max deductible and only put in for major claims.

I had a no fault $1200 claim paid by the other insurance company. In the end it cost me $10k out of pocket between lost trade in value and insurance.

But that’s what insurance is for, right?

Reactions: Hiline and afadeev
Last year, a pickup with EXTRA LARGE tires rubbed against my car on the freeway. The cameras got everything. The driver took off.

I gave the insurance company a flash drive showing everything even a great shot of the plates.

I was called by the insurance company stating they were not able to identify anyone from the plates on the truck.

Starting the end of this month, my insurance goes up $30 a month because I made a charge against the insurance company because they were not able to push the charge off to another company. I was considered "not at fault"

I had to pay my deductible and will have to pay $30 a month for a few years. I would have been cheaper for me not to have gone through the insurance company. One just never knows what's going to happen.

Last year, a pickup with EXTRA LARGE tires rubbed against my car on the freeway. The cameras got everything. The driver took off.

I gave the insurance company a flash drive showing everything even a great shot of the plates.

I was called by the insurance company stating they were not able to identify anyone from the plates on the truck.

Starting the end of this month, my insurance goes up $30 a month because I made a charge against the insurance company because they were not able to push the charge off to another company. I was considered "not at fault"

I had to pay my deductible and will have to pay $30 a month for a few years. I would have been cheaper for me not to have gone through the insurance company. One just never knows what's going to happen.
Sounds like your insurance didn't try too hard.

I don’t think I’ll have that problem. I have shots of this guy’s face.

Was out eating dinner with my son, and parked far away from everyone else against a curb. Sure enough, a Silverado parks right next to me. We finished eating and ran to the car because a storm was brewing. Didn't notice the scratches and rear door ding until I got home. Was doing some stuff in the garage tonight when I noticed the damage.

Basically, there's a small chip in the rear driver's door and some light scratch marks that I was able to mostly rub off (I'll have to see the full extent of the damage when it's light outside). From what I can tell though, there are no dents in the aluminum, just scraped and chipped paint. Kinda bummed as the car has been immaculate since I bought it.

Anyway, I went back and found the Sentry footage, and the guy was farting around with his driver's door open. The strong wind (which I mentioned above) caught the door and slammed it into my car. He goes over, observes the damage, then hops back in his truck and drives off. Luckily, the camera clearly caught his license plate in full view.

With that evidence, is it even worth going through insurance for some door dings and a door that will need to be repainted? I don't even know how to go about things as I've never had actual video evidence before when this happened in years past with previous cars. I have Geico, BTW.
I wouldn’t put up with it either. But be prepared for a goose chase. The wife’s car was substantially damaged in a parking garage hit and run and despite an eyewitness, the cops were totally lackadaisical.
In the end the other insurance company paid but it was a huge PITA.
Good luck!👍

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
Sounds like your insurance didn't try too hard.

My insurance was Mercury and yes, they did.

It's my new insurance company that raised the monthly amount and that is Tesla insurance. They're the ones that told me about me not being at fault but cost was "charged" to Mercury, my previous company which goes on record for all insurance companies to see.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
These a*holes get away with hit and runs because no one does anything to them. If they get reported to police and/or if they have to pay for the damage, maybe they will be more responsible next time. And with guys like that, there will be a next time.

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno

What insurance company? Maybe start shopping around.

The insurance company couldn't identify anyone, but what did the police say?

I was in a not at fault accident last year and my insurance company paid out $160,000 and my rates didn't go up a cent, because I was not at fault.

My insurance was Mercury and yes, they did.

It's my new insurance company that raised the monthly amount and that is Tesla insurance. They're the ones that told me about me not being at fault but cost was "charged" to Mercury, my previous company which goes on record for all insurance companies to see.
So you signed up for new insurance at a certain rate and then afterwards they raised your rate by $30?

My last car was A Q50 hybrid. About four years ago I got rear ended in a McDonalds drive through. Yes, it takes a special kind of stupid to rear end someone in a drive through. The damage was minor to the rear bumper fascia. The repair costs were about $800. I was so pissed at that a-hole I asked my insurance company to get my $500 deductible back.

So, I went to trade the Q50 in on my short lived Leaf. During the negotiations the sales manger asked "was the car in an accident? CarFax said it was in an accident." If I would have just paid for the $800 dollar repair I would probably be ahead of the game. So think about it.

I have two other horror stories about CarFux. Some other time maybe.

My last car was A Q50 hybrid. About four years ago I got rear ended in a McDonalds drive through. Yes, it takes a special kind of stupid to rear end someone in a drive through. The damage was minor to the rear bumper fascia. The repair costs were about $800. I was so pissed at that a-hole I asked my insurance company to get my $500 deductible back.

So, I went to trade the Q50 in on my short lived Leaf. During the negotiations the sales manger asked "was the car in an accident? CarFax said it was in an accident." If I would have just paid for the $800 dollar repair I would probably be ahead of the game. So think about it.

I have two other horror stories about CarFux. Some other time maybe.
Same type of thing happened to me. And mine was all on the side view mirror. No body work at all, no painting and was fixed at the dealer.

Reactions: rpiotro