Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pickup tomm. Service Center Calling me about Panel Gaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I looked to see if anyone had an experience like this before. Couldnt find one.

So Im picking up my MYP MSM, No Tow, No FSD, Od: 11/3 FN400xxx

I actually went to Tesla this afternoon early to check out my MYP that Im picking up tomm, thought what the hell I'd like to see it because ive been waiting almost 5 months and I was in the neighborhood.

Well, the Tesla Gallery Person said I couldn't because its being cleaned and inspected. Weird but okay. Ill have to wait.

I then get a call from A different SA who I guess I will be working with tomm, and he left me a voicemail informing me about the car having one severe panal gap and several others....Noting what they are. Also saying that I can still pick it up and we will set up q service call for a future fix.

Have you folks ever heard about a Tesla employee calling BEFORE a pickup to tell you whats wrong with it? Seems odd.

Makes me think if those were bad enough for him to tell me before hand, what else is there?

This is the first time I have heard that SA calls prior to pickup warning you about panel gaps. Usually it seems Tesla’s method was to l remain silent and let customer decide if car was good enough & let customer try to deal with service center after accepting delivery. I’d ask them to reschedule your delivery day & fix all gaps prior to you coming for delivery day inspection. Then decide if you accept or reject the car. This strategy will ensure Tesla corrects the gaps as best as possible. How do I know all this, my car had 5 major gap / panel alignment issues and after a few service center visits of being told everything was in spec Tesla agreed to send car to body shop. One large gap between trunk and upper rear driver side panel remained after the body shop visit. I do not know how I didn’t notice when inspecting the car at service center. Perhaps being without my car for 1 month had something to do with it 😉. So now I decide if I pursue getting it fixed or live with it. Always a risk that body shop makes new gaps, misalignments or paint scratches.

Thats a really good point. It would have definitely been preferable to have them fix it before my pickup. Instead I slept like crap last night with worst case scenarios going on through my head, instead of being super excited and not sleeping.

I spent all night reason horrible stories like yours, about panel fix issues, leaky frunke, rats in trunk compartments having rat devil orgies....

Life was a lot easier when I was a undergrad thinking that a philosophy degree was a "great" idea, with thick hair, a preowned Honda Prelude, and two tall phallic shaped building is still standing in New York.

****ing Panel gaps. Got me all wound up.

Thats a really good point. It would have definitely been preferable to have them fix it before my pickup. Instead I slept like crap last night with worst case scenarios going on through my head, instead of being super excited and not sleeping.

I spent all night reason horrible stories like yours, about panel fix issues, leaky frunke, rats in trunk compartments having rat devil orgies....

Life was a lot easier when I was a undergrad thinking that a philosophy degree was a "great" idea, with thick hair, a preowned Honda Prelude, and two tall phallic shaped building is still standing in New York.

****ing Panel gaps. Got me all wound up.

If tesla won’t do a pass before delivery day, and the gaps are indeed a concern, you can reject the car. Not sure if you get priority for new car or sent elsewhere in the queue. A longer wait with Tesla could mean you end up with new features though since they are always updating. If I had better eyes and experience inspecting cars and rejected my car, I would have ended up with a Ryzen powered infotainment system and 12V lithium ion battery. 🤷‍♂️ Use the forums ability to search for posts made by me and you’ll see some of the gaps/misalignments I had addressed to give you an idea of what to look for. Check out YouTube channel “the electric man” as he does model y build reviews, a bit simplistic but can give you an idea what to look for. Hope your car gaps are minor & Tesla helps to ease any concerns.

Reactions: Moopwomp
So I looked to see if anyone had an experience like this before. Couldnt find one.

So Im picking up my MYP MSM, No Tow, No FSD, Od: 11/3 FN400xxx

I actually went to Tesla this afternoon early to check out my MYP that Im picking up tomm, thought what the hell I'd like to see it because ive been waiting almost 5 months and I was in the neighborhood.

Well, the Tesla Gallery Person said I couldn't because its being cleaned and inspected. Weird but okay. Ill have to wait.

I then get a call from A different SA who I guess I will be working with tomm, and he left me a voicemail informing me about the car having one severe panal gap and several others....Noting what they are. Also saying that I can still pick it up and we will set up q service call for a future fix.

Have you folks ever heard about a Tesla employee calling BEFORE a pickup to tell you whats wrong with it? Seems odd.

Makes me think if those were bad enough for him to tell me before hand, what else is there?
From SoCal; After making a Monday appointment to pick MYP ( Buena Park) I got a call this morning (Sunday) telling me they Notice two small scratches and they were going to buff them out and said I could pick it up on Thursday 🤔 Three days to buff out a couple of paint scratches? Humm. 😬

I had this happen on my first VIN back in May 2020. The SC called the day before my delivery date and said they would have to delay my delivery until the next week. I asked for details, bu they simply said it didn't meet their 'quality standards'. 2 days went by, and they said they would need to push the delivery for a few more days, I said OK. 3 days went by, I didn't hear anything, so I called again and they said there was some issues with the rear hatch they were evaluating and needed a few more days. The SC was insistent that I could not see the vehicle condition, and would not provide details. We went back and forth for 3 weeks as they continued their 'assessment', and finally I went physically to the SC out of frustration because I needed more details. They still wouldn't let me see the car, but I did get them to admit the rear hatch paint was bad and would need a full repaint, the rear glass removed/replaced, and there was a dent on the rear quarter panel, which would need to be repaired/repainted. I said no way, and rejected the VIN. I was assigned a new VIN the following week and took delivery and my June 2020 build delivery was great, the paint/gaps are good, and overall quality has been excellent after 21 months and 22K miles. My recommendation is to reject the VIN if they are pulling the same stunt my SC was with not letting you see the car.

Reactions: geometro
From SoCal; After making a Monday appointment to pick MYP ( Buena Park) I got a call this morning (Sunday) telling me they Notice two small scratches and they were going to buff them out and said I could pick it up on Thursday 🤔 Three days to buff out a couple of paint scratches? Humm. 😬

Sounds like they need to repair the damaged area(s). Unless they were swirl marks are very superficial scratches, they won't simply buff out. However, a good paintless dent/scratch repair shop can fix small scratches and make them invisible.

Reactions: Msicario