TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pickup up x100d today, tire wear for inventory?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by puhiniho, Jun 23, 2018.

1. puhiniho

puhiniho Member

Going to pickup my "new" inventory 100d this afternoon in Portland and the family is pretty excited! With all the excitement I was wondering what others thought about tire wear for an inventory car. It's classified as "new" but has 7000+ miles on it (that's about 1/2 years worth of driving, right?). I'm not sure what to expect as it relates to tire wear when I receive it. In my mind, the OA and DA says everything will be NEW, but I don't want to have my expectations to be too high. Anyway, maybe this is just jitters but thought I'd ask. Thanks and looking forward to joining the family!

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

They should provide new tires ..my previous inventory Tesla’s all had new tires...congrats on car !!;)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. puhiniho

puhiniho Member

Awesome thanks and really looking forward to our!

4. puhiniho

puhiniho Member

Looking forward to It, I meant (damn autocorrect) o_O

• Like x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

What spec car did u end up finding ?

6. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I expect they would've priced the car with the worn tires calculated.

See if you can get a test drive in the car and check for any obvious alignment or balance issues with the existing tires (e.g. does the car have a speed where it rattles? Any shudder under acceleration?)

If anything, honestly I think 7k miles on the tires is a feature not a problem. I know that sounds crazy, but it gives you a good time to measure the tire tread for even wear. It seems like some cars have suspension issues that make them more cursed to have uneven tire wear compared to others. This could be a good way to see if you'll be so unfortunate as to suffer from that or not.

7. edlin303

edlin303 Member

They do not provide new tires, despite the above comment to the contrary. More importantly, it is not guaranteed to be "like new". I picked mine up 3 months ago, and when I arrived it had previously unmentioned paint chips and scrapes and a scratched up key. It also had curb rash on a rim I didn't notice until days later. Since mine was a lease I cared a bit less, but if I hadn't gone so far to pick it up I might have walked away.

The moral of the story, check out the "checklist" others have posted, and decide what your tolerance is for things wrong based on the savings you are getting. As a lease I figure it gave me some leeway on turn-in since it was well worn up front. If I was buying I most likely would have walked away with the wear and tear it had and their refusal to do anything about any of it.

• Disagree x 2
  8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Inventory and CPO are different I got brand new tires on my delivery 2 mos ago ? How do I know ? ... I waited while they mounted them

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. edlin303

edlin303 Member

I understand, and unless I am misunderstanding, he is talking about an inventory car, same as me. Your anecdotal story of getting new tires doesn't prove they always give them, but mine proves they do not always (if ever) give you new ones. I even explicitly asked them to, and they insisted they could/would not put new tires on. They also refused to correct cosmetic issues on it.

• Funny x 1
  10. puhiniho

puhiniho Member

So I picked up my 100d today and it looked great for the most part. And I did actually go through the checklist and it was both good and bad. The good was they left out a few things and said it no longer comes with it (e.g. Cellphone adapter, etc, which they went in the back and grabbed one). And the tires actually looked rather new but I didn't look too closely to the wear pattern (I'll check tomorrow).

The bad is there were several nicks (big & small) on the hood / front bumper and one semi-small gash in the pleather on the lower section of FWD. I complained (OA told me it would be new) yet both the OA and DA said today the price reduction includes damages like this. I felt like I couldn't reject the car and this isn't a lease so I'm trying to cope :( But my wife and I are taking a positive position as we've drove it around all afternoon/evening and it's been a joy. I'm wondering if I give it a week and try to go to the SC and see if they would fix the damages. Any recommendations?

With all the craziness of the delivery I didn't take good photos, but got the black, ultra white interior, and it looks great for the most part. ;)

20180623_202432.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

OP congrats on new car! Beautiful color combo ...again I don’t necessarily buy they won’t fix those items ..take back to your local SC and they will take care of ..after owning three Tesla’s ..relationships are key ...the DS is just rushing you to sign papers and clear space for next delivery

• Like x 1
  12. delsky

delsky Member

I am new to this forum, and about to put down a deposit on an inventory car with 1K miles, blue with white interior. I would be concerned about paint chips, scratches and interior on the vegan leather. Also, the care was mfr date prior to the new MCU (ocd problem). So I am just thinking maybe I should order that 75D and forego the "great" deal on the inventory car. The inventory car would guarantee me the federal discount, and would be ~ 8K more then a new 75D. What to do!

13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

MCU. 2 is overrated ..

• Informative x 1
  14. delsky

delsky Member

Thanks P85, I see you have the old and the new system. Is the only difference a tad more responsive on the screen?

15. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

...that and mcu2 is real buggy:eek:..,the speed of the browser ...zoom on maps is not as useful when driving :(...if the inventory model has options you are interested in that is most important ...from an AP perspective it’s not using the MCU

16. cwied

cwied Member

I know Tesla OAs like to talk up the urgency of ordering before the credit runs out, but it looks like the tax credit will probably be available until the end of 2018.

The full tax credit is available until the end of the quarter after the quarter when they sell the 200,000th car, so the earliest possible date would be the end of September at this point.

• Informative x 1
  17. puhiniho

puhiniho Member

Thanks P85_DA! I'll see what they say when I get back to my local SC. Hopefully they'll see it the right way:D

Otherwise, we're definitely giddy about the car. It's got everything we wanted PUP, AP2.5, ultra white, and splurged for the 100d with the savings of the inventory car. It does have the older MCU, but I'm expecting Tesla to tweak the software to be just as good ;)

Thanks everyone for your support!!

• Love x 1
  18. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

If you don't care about the minor blemishes that you described, I'm sure the discount was well worth it.

The car looks lovely. Welcome to the club.

• Like x 1
  19. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

The killer for me would be not having the new slate interior trim. That is awesome, IMO. But maybe not a big deal for you.

• Like x 1
  20. delsky

delsky Member

I was told I could wrap it to the carbon fiber look?