Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Dirty Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
zemy4yqe.jpg

In his last talk in Oslo Elon said he expects the car to last a lot longer than a standard car. We know about less moving parts, hoses, etc, but he said that the Al body should hold up better than steel in terms of rusting. He was estimating 15-20 years on Model S compared to 10 years on ICE.

Typical Montreal winter salt sludge coating ...
View attachment 42613

I think mine is now on a salt-encrusted par with that. I keep thinking I'll go for a car wash, then I check the weather and the forecast is for yet more snow. I'm ready for spring...

- - - Updated - - -

In his last talk in Oslo Elon said he expects the car to last a lot longer than a standard car. We know about less moving parts, hoses, etc, but he said that the Al body should hold up better than steel in terms of rusting. He was estimating 15-20 years on Model S compared to 10 years on ICE.

Certainly aluminum, in the absence of salt or dissimilar metals, is inherently highly resistant to corrosion. Steel cars erode away shockingly fast around here... hopefully that won't happen with Model S!!!