Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Dirty Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Norway cars get dirty very fast. Therefore its important to many to know how the look when they get it.
I guess silver/grey shows dirt the least ? But I wanna see how all colors look when dirty.

Post your dirty Model S pics here!

Here is our Sig red after about 1,500 miles of winter driving, including a snowy mountain pass with deicing fluid and some dirt roads. You'll notice the rear always looks the worst:

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5604.JPG

My blue was covered in pollen today to a thickness to make it look golden. Washed and waxed now, so good for another 2 or 3 days. Sorry no pics. There's a pic on here of someone's covered in snow, salt, and slush. Might be of interest to a Norwegian. I'm thinking it might be Robert.Boston's.

Here are a couple from Utah winter weather...
IMG_9930.jpg

IMG_7305.jpg

All cleaned up with tinting done.
IMG_0490.jpg

Also, the paint armor tends to have rain slide off easily, not leaving rain spots and a dirty look. When the hood was only done 40%, it would look clean where the paint armor was, then a very distinct and disturbing line, then the rest of the hood would look dirty. I had the 40% hood removed, full hood applied, and the fenders on both sides covered as well. The added protection definitely keeps the car looking cleaner!

Is it wrong as a professional detailer I find this to be absolutely gratifying to look at? Yobigd20, I think the award goes to you so far :) I look at the front end and am playing out how I'd start the wash process. Amazing the weather conditions around the world these cars go through. Here in SoCal, a little rain or dust and we freak out ;)

Moe, this one is just for you. The randomly-spotted Grey was dirty (though you can barely tell on Grey), and my Green (yes, it is Green under there, honest) was utterly filthy with 160 miles of highway grit that day. Nothing that two pre-rinse soakings of Honeydew and a two-bucket wash with Optimum No-Rinse and Wax couldn't fix, fortunately! The Xpel full wrap sure makes life a little easier.

Dirty with Grey at Generoasta.jpeg

Is it wrong as a professional detailer I find this to be absolutely gratifying to look at? Yobigd20, I think the award goes to you so far :) I look at the front end and am playing out how I'd start the wash process. Amazing the weather conditions around the world these cars go through. Here in SoCal, a little rain or dust and we freak out ;)

Optimum No Rinse isn't going to help here. I guess I have to wait until it melts. And that isn't going to happen anytime soon over the next few days. My garage isn't heated, though it is probably like 10 degrees warmer than outside temps. I don't know if its over freezing temps right now though. I don't think I can sit there with a hairdryer on the ice as that would probably mess up the XPEL wrap. and there is no nearby hot-water source either. What do they do in Norway and Canada in sustained freezing weather? I guess they just dont wash their cars...

Moe, this one is just for you. The randomly-spotted Grey was dirty (though you can barely tell on Grey), and my Green (yes, it is Green under there, honest) was utterly filthy with 160 miles of highway grit that day. Nothing that two pre-rinse soakings of Honeydew and a two-bucket wash with Optimum No-Rinse and Wax couldn't fix, fortunately! The Xpel full wrap sure makes life a little easier.

View attachment 41533

Yikes!!! Great thing you have it wrapped. The Tesla paint would be quite swirly and scratchy after a wash in that condition

Unfortunately the Rear Deck Lid is the only painted surface that isn't wrapped (installer couldn't do it, after multiple attempts), so it gets pre-rinsed and babied like you would not believe. I am planning on putting some CQuartz Finest on top of the Opticoat Pro that we put on last year, to see if that helps any more than the Opticoat Pro did.

View attachment 41506
After my long trip to NAIAS.

That's mine on a good day. Right now, you can't even read my license plate, but I did visit a gas station to squeegee off the tail lights because the light was barely getting through. The 401 I travel on every day is a sloppy mess and it's futile trying to keep a car clean. I've also noticed that my side flashers (the chrome sections) are starting to rust.

Here's what mine looks like most of the winter. Believe it or not, it was washed just a few days prior when the weather was a bit warmer. At below 0 F temps, I hesitate to wash it for fear of freezing windows, doors etc. All I can do is squeegee off the side windows and headlights/tail lights in this weather:

IMG_1622.JPG

Quebec winters are notoriously hard on cars, but my grey S seems to be perpetually dirty... Maybe the fact that I drive it more than any of my previous vehicles has something to do with it!

Like Mknox noted above, I have had a few instances this winter when I could barely read my license plate. The rear quarter of the vehicle is, essentially, never clean.

The fact that we have had two intense cold waves so far has limited cleaning opportunities (I use a gas station touchless spray washer, thus have a lot of water in nooks and crannies upon exit that would freeze instantly in current temps). Note, however, that my car was washed one week ago (and driven in an unexpected snow storm during a family outing the next day).

Pics snapped in my garage, tonight. Not sure when I will be able to wash her... :crying:

IMG_0815 (2).jpg
IMG_0818.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg

Last summer I washed my baby every week, I have never done that to any of my previous vehicles!

Seeing her like this is somewhat painful, but when I bought my S I swore that I would use her as I did my previous daily drivers. A car this amazing just has to be driven, dirt be damned!

Last edited: