Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ioniq EV does not use 18650 style cylindrical cells, so that may also be a factor.
Do you mean that the LG cells have an inherent form advantage for a good C rating, or that they can't have good energy density for not being 18650's let alone cylindrical? Everything is a factor, I just have difficulty getting insights as to how each tech performs and what its relative traits and flaws are.

+1 on the pack weight as well. Keen to know if it has the record for pack gravimetric energy density.

I read from an earlier post that the 18650 "bond wires" are 0.011" (about 29AWG) size bare aluminum wire. Are the bus plates Ni plated copper of bare aluminum or plated aluminum? The bond wires seem to be attached very strongly to the bus plates. Are they spot welded or some other attachment method?

I read from an earlier post that the 18650 "bond wires" are 0.011" (about 29AWG) size bare aluminum wire. Are the bus plates Ni plated copper of bare aluminum or plated aluminum? The bond wires seem to be attached very strongly to the bus plates. Are they spot welded or some other attachment method?
Does anyone have an idea what the effect of replacing aluminum wire with silver would be? Less heat losses? High out&input? Silver is quite affordable right now, $18 per 31.1 grams. How much silver wire would be needed in this application, if suitable?

Copper and silver are very close in conductivity and copper is still cheaper and silver's price is extremely volitile. If they were to switch to anything, copper would be the metal of choice. Aluminum is a good conductor, but not as good as copper. It's often used because it's a lot cheaper than copper.

Copper and silver are very close in conductivity and copper is still cheaper and silver's price is extremely volitile. If they were to switch to anything, copper would be the metal of choice. Aluminum is a good conductor, but not as good as copper. It's often used because it's a lot cheaper than copper.
Copper and silver are more conductive than aluminum per unit *volume*. Aluminum is 2.1x as conductive as copper or silver per unit *mass*, reducing mass is more important than reducing volume because the total volumes in question are small. Tesla probably saves about 100lb by going all aluminum on conductors.

Copper and silver are more conductive than aluminum per unit *volume*. Aluminum is 2.1x as conductive as copper or silver per unit *mass*, reducing mass is more important than reducing volume because the total volumes in question are small. Tesla probably saves about 100lb by going all aluminum on conductors.

I would expect they use copper for most of the wiring, but what we're talking about are fuse-able links on the battery cells. The density of the cables on the HPWC and superchargers is right for large gauge copper wiring.

This breakdown of the materials in a Model S says the wiring in the car and the motor are copper:
The Extraordinary Raw Materials in a Tesla Model S

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I would expect they use copper for most of the wiring, but what we're talking about are fuse-able links on the battery cells. The density of the cables on the HPWC and superchargers is right for large gauge copper wiring.

This breakdown of the materials in a Model S says the wiring in the car and the motor are copper:
The Extraordinary Raw Materials in a Tesla Model S
Yah my post was a little strong, shouldn't have implied all conductors are aluminum, meant to imply that all the inter-cell conductors in each module are aluminum (except for the contacts). Aluminum is a pain for many things, you basically can't make contacts out of it and I wouldn't want to try winding a stator with it.
Also that's a great infographic, hadn't seen it.

Last edited:
The Model S is a large sedan, and they already had to really squeeze every last bit of dead space out of the pack to cram 100kWh of batteries in there. And that's a platform that is already a "dedicated BEV design"..

Not quite 100% accurate ;)

The Model S, back in the long distant past was to also be offered in REX. The huge Frunk of the RWD cars, could have quite easily accepted more modules or, and this will make a lot of people cringe, something like the gas engine out of the Smart Fortwo. (Which if we bear in mind during Model S Daimler were heavily involved in the project would make some sense).

The Model 3 (yeat another dedicated design) will most certainly have less space for batteries than the Model S.

So where are EV's going to get "space for more batteries, if that's needed to reach 100kWh" with batteries that are less energy dense?

It seems the trend of the Model 3, Merc EQ and I Pace, which look like they will be similar in overall length, is to stretch the wheelbase relative to the cars length, in effect giving more space between the axles in which to fit a simple rectangular skateboard style pack.

To me Jaguar's claimed 90kWh out of NMC cells in a sub 16ft long car is actually quite impressive.