Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I follow the logic but I don't see the incentive on either end.
most people aren't going to upgrade from 90 to 100, mostly people with 60's or 70's I would think.
The problem is that the new battery pack at $250/per is good but the used pack can't have the same value. A 90 degraded to 81 can't be worth 81x250. It would have to be priced as used. So take a 60 degraded to 55 and give it a used value of 200. Now you have trade value of 11k. Even after labor Tesla would still need to make a profit for hoking around. I believe they operate at 25% margins on the cars and 50% on accessories. So you'd get like 6k trade in and be out of pocket ~20k to upgrade an old car that has none of the new cool Tesla features. I just don't see it happening. Anyone with 20k to drop w/o financing is going to want a newer/better car.

Again, there is a balance to be found. You might have misunderstood me about the trade-in price. The price of the used pack is at the same current cost per kilowatt minus degradation, or a "used" penalty if you will. The capacity is whatever Tesla says it has, and believe me, they know. You can't value it at the price originally paid because that would have been more than the cost per kw now. So yes, the owner will take a hit. But then Tesla ultimately wins because they not only get cash, they get a battery pack back to either sell or use elsewhere.

For me, I would pay 7k (twice the price to trade in and buy new going by cost per kw) for the extra 10kwh. Currently, none of the new features make it worthwhile for me to upgrade anything else.

The price of the used pack is at the same current cost per kilowatt minus degradation, or a "used" penalty if you will.

The pack degradation is not the only thing that reduces the pack value. The warranty on the pack must also be considered and the pack price reduced for it. A new pack might be worth $250/kWh, but that's because the pack has an 8 year warranty. A 4-year old 90 kWh pack with 10% degradation has 81 kWh, but those 81 kWh only have 4 years of warranty left.

Also, it's not like you can take that 81 kWh and add it to some other capacity. The fact that the 81 kWh is as much as can be put in one car also reduces its value because there are other batteries out there with higher capacity. (Just like computer RAM: 8GB DIMMs are worth more per GB than 4GB DIMMs, because using 4GB DIMMs reduces the potential capacity of the computer they're used in).

Finally, the technology advances in the newer packs. These 81 kWh in this pack may not charge as fast as newer packs, they may heat up faster and require more cooling, reducing range, they may not have the upper current limits that new packs do, which reduces potential 0-60 times.

These factors combine to reduce those 81 kWh to a price that's a lot less than $250/kWh, simply because these 81 kWh are less desirable on the open market.

The pack degradation is not the only thing that reduces the pack value. The warranty on the pack must also be considered and the pack price reduced for it. A new pack might be worth $250/kWh, but that's because the pack has an 8 year warranty. A 4-year old 90 kWh pack with 10% degradation has 81 kWh, but those 81 kWh only have 4 years of warranty left.

Also, it's not like you can take that 81 kWh and add it to some other capacity. The fact that the 81 kWh is as much as can be put in one car also reduces its value because there are other batteries out there with higher capacity. (Just like computer RAM: 8GB DIMMs are worth more per GB than 4GB DIMMs, because using 4GB DIMMs reduces the potential capacity of the computer they're used in).

Finally, the technology advances in the newer packs. These 81 kWh in this pack may not charge as fast as newer packs, they may heat up faster and require more cooling, reducing range, they may not have the upper current limits that new packs do, which reduces potential 0-60 times.

These factors combine to reduce those 81 kWh to a price that's a lot less than $250/kWh, simply because these 81 kWh are less desirable on the open market.
Again, all this can be funnled into the equation. Supercharging rates is a good example of something I hadn't thought of, but my understanding was that only the A packs had the 90kw limitation. As for the rest, it's all noise to the owner. They just want to know they can go xxx miles on a charge. Lastly, Find out a fair warranty to slap on and proceed. Either renew the 8, prorate it, or come up with something original.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
Great work! This is pretty much was JB said. He reported that it was a challenging rearrangement of 18650 cells to pack more in. I guessed 9 more cells per group for 7104 + 864 = 7968 or something like that. Surprised that they went to 12 and 8256 total. The added 1152 cells add about 2300 ounces to the pack or about 140 pounds. This raises the weight to around 1400 pounds. You must have some heavy duty equipment to manhadle that kind of weight. Very impressive.

• Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel
Again, all this can be funnled into the equation. Supercharging rates is a good example of something I hadn't thought of, but my understanding was that only the A packs had the 90kw limitation. As for the rest, it's all noise to the owner. They just want to know they can go xxx miles on a charge. Lastly, Find out a fair warranty to slap on and proceed. Either renew the 8, prorate it, or come up with something original.

- what does Tesla do with the packs no one wants any more? (The degraded 60).

- warranty was mentioned already.

- need for refurbishment first?

- what if something guess wrong and frys the car (however unlikely).

- shipping costs/storage. Inventory management.

- opportunity lost, if they are battery production limited, why sell the latest/greatest when they could make more selling the entire car?

I know you keep mentioning balance. But the balance your suggesting makes you happy but likely doesn't cover Tesla cost.

I'm sure someday, as powertrain warranty expires, there will be a market for used packs.

Curious that Tesla recommended P90DL owners to upgrade to a P100DL to avoid launch limits. I don't see anything that would indicate that the 100 pack is more robust to launches...

Each module gets another string of cells in parallel with those already there. Less current through each string (and each individual cell).

If I'm understanding correctly.

Curious that Tesla recommended P90DL owners to upgrade to a P100DL to avoid launch limits. I don't see anything that would indicate that the 100 pack is more robust to launches...

The 100 pack has 86 cells in parallel. That reduces the current per cell by 16 percent compared to the 85 and 90 packs, which had 74 cells in parallel. That should make the 100 pack more robust to launches.

GSP

-what does Tesla do with the packs no one wants any more? (The degraded 60).
Warranty replacements for old 60's, module recycling for Powerwalls/Powerpacks, module replacement for any battery being refurbed/rebuilt (cells are already installed in the module, might save time and effort), on-site storage for Gigafactory (why produce new if you are supply constrained, easy stream for re-purposing coming right back at you). I really like the last one because they are going to need a ton of battery storage for just the factory and those cells would be perfect for that application. Tesla doesn't care about 5% battery degradation, they will just add 5% more capacity at literally a fraction of the cost.

- need for refurbishment first?
Did it need done anyway under the 8 year battery warranty? If not, certify the mileage/capacity and sell as is for a price. I mean, it's essentially double dipping. If they thought it was going to last 8 years anyway, they've already built that cost into the original sale. Then someone comes along and all Tesla has to do is say "Yep, it's still going to last 8 years, but we might have to cover it beyond that for an extra 2-4. Pay us $500-1000".

- what if something guess wrong and frys the car (however unlikely).
8 year battery warranty. Assumed risk that it would have behaved in the new car just like the old one.

- shipping costs/storage. Inventory management.
Terribly expensive, I'll pay the $800 to ship my battery to you via UPS ground though. But Tesla charges a "destination" fee to the customer to cover shipping 2 batteries 1-way each.

- opportunity lost, if they are battery production limited, why sell the latest/greatest when they could make more selling the entire car?
It won't be like that forever. How big is that Gigafactory supposed to be again? As production ramps up, I would assume that they would have more resources to devote to a revenue stream like this. Again, from a cost per kwh perspective, they would be making double on these deals (at least on those extra 10kwh) than they would other wise. We could be talking about 15-30% margin on battery upgrades alone.

-I know you keep mentioning balance. But the balance your suggesting makes you happy but likely doesn't cover Tesla cost.
Again, I'm not saying they do it for free and no where previously did I suggest they do. Based on the cost breakdown I mention, they would be making a $500 per kwh (double the cost) on that extra 10kwh, plus the customer is paying for install, certification, shipping, etc. They certainly aren't losing money on the deal.

-I'm sure someday, as powertrain warranty expires, there will be a market for used packs.
Yes, but I'd rather be able do something official through Tesla, wouldn't you?

ok, let me try this again.
Selling a 100kwh pack for 25k new. 25% profit gives a cost of $18,750.

Now if a brand new 100 pack is worth that to Tesla, what is a used 90 degraded to 80 worth? Even at100% value it's worth a 'cost' of 15k. But it's not worth new value because it's used. So 10-12k. Add labor and risk and cost of business... you'd have to charge a guy upgrading 15k+

Any time we get customers asking to trade in used we deal w this. They forget our cost of new is half retail so used has to be worth like 25% of new. People get so mad and we don't want the rep of selling used. We just say we don't take trade ins.

Reactions: mhan00 and ohmman
This is why I outlined a plan back in August. Tesla introduces their Battery Upgrade Program. Part of the program is to set a value per kwh based on degradation of your current pack and the current Cost Per kWh for manufacturing. There would be two additional charges. A installation charge and a destination. The latter could be waived if the battery was going to someone in your service center area.

Basically Tesla takes your old battery, certifies it that is will charge to XXX miles, removes it, installs the new pack and charges you the new pack cost (based on a current manufacturing cost per kwh plus reasonable markup), reasonable install charge (2 guys @ 2 shop hours), and then subtracts your battery trade-in value of your old battery.

This is the way I envision it with semi-made-up numbers. Purchase a 100kwh battery that costs Tesla $250 per kwh to make for a total cost of $25k. Your 90kwh battery is worth $250 x 90 - 10% cell degradation for a trade-in credit of $20500. So your bill ends up being $25,000 + $1000 destination charge to ship battery somewhere + $750 install + $500 certification fee for a total out of pocket of roughly $7000 which is double the price of upgrading at time of purchase for $3000 (so as to force people to think hard about a new purchase).

Then AndyW comes along and says, here is a battery from supra that is a 90kwh pack minus 10% degradation. I want to upgrade my 60kwh pack. Rinse and repeat the same process above. And your 60kwh core is then recycled or reused as a certified warranty replacement so as to not waste it. Battery warranty is still good for everyone since only the ownership changed.

I'm sure the numbers overall could be adjusted to make it more profitable for Tesla, within reason. And by setting the trade-in value at current manufacturing cost per kwh, you make the trade-in value more fair to the next guy in line. I've had two 60kwh battery pack owners tell me they would absolutely pay the above markup to get into a 90kwh battery even though it's double the cost per kwh than they would pay if they just ordered a new vehicle.

A couple of issues with this. Tesla has a firm policy that the service centers do not install used parts. When I got my seats swapped for next gen seats there was a guy in there with an early S who said his leather seats were wearing out and was interested in my multipattern seats. The service manager was standing there and told him if he wanted my old seats he'd have to find someone else to put them in because it was corporate policy they will never put a used part in a car.

Another thing is Tesla does not believe that used battery packs are appropriate for re-use and believe the batteries should be recycled and made into new batteries. Apparently Elon has done a bunch of calculations and thinks remaking them into new batteries is the best way to go. You'd have to ask him why though.

BTW great analysis of the 100 pack

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
A couple of issues with this. Tesla has a firm policy that the service centers do not install used parts. When I got my seats swapped for next gen seats there was a guy in there with an early S who said his leather seats were wearing out and was interested in my multipattern seats. The service manager was standing there and told him if he wanted my old seats he'd have to find someone else to put them in because it was corporate policy they will never put a used part in a car.

Another thing is Tesla does not believe that used battery packs are appropriate for re-use and believe the batteries should be recycled and made into new batteries. Apparently Elon has done a bunch of calculations and thinks remaking them into new batteries is the best way to go. You'd have to ask him why though.

BTW great analysis of the 100 pack
Owners get refurb batteries and drive units all the time.....

This is why I outlined a plan back in August. Tesla introduces their Battery Upgrade Program. Part of the program is to set a value per kwh based on degradation of your current pack and the current Cost Per kWh for manufacturing. There would be two additional charges. A installation charge and a destination. The latter could be waived if the battery was going to someone in your service center area.

Basically Tesla takes your old battery, certifies it that is will charge to XXX miles, removes it, installs the new pack and charges you the new pack cost (based on a current manufacturing cost per kwh plus reasonable markup), reasonable install charge (2 guys @ 2 shop hours), and then subtracts your battery trade-in value of your old battery.

This is the way I envision it with semi-made-up numbers. Purchase a 100kwh battery that costs Tesla $250 per kwh to make for a total cost of $25k. Your 90kwh battery is worth $250 x 90 - 10% cell degradation for a trade-in credit of $20500. So your bill ends up being $25,000 + $1000 destination charge to ship battery somewhere + $750 install + $500 certification fee for a total out of pocket of roughly $7000 which is double the price of upgrading at time of purchase for $3000 (so as to force people to think hard about a new purchase).

Then AndyW comes along and says, here is a battery from supra that is a 90kwh pack minus 10% degradation. I want to upgrade my 60kwh pack. Rinse and repeat the same process above. And your 60kwh core is then recycled or reused as a certified warranty replacement so as to not waste it. Battery warranty is still good for everyone since only the ownership changed.

I'm sure the numbers overall could be adjusted to make it more profitable for Tesla, within reason. And by setting the trade-in value at current manufacturing cost per kwh, you make the trade-in value more fair to the next guy in line. I've had two 60kwh battery pack owners tell me they would absolutely pay the above markup to get into a 90kwh battery even though it's double the cost per kwh than they would pay if they just ordered a new vehicle.
Tesla had considered a battery resale program, but they found it would not make sense given the dropping cost of new battery cells. Keep in mind the target is below $100/kWh, Tesla's current pack costs were quoted at below $190/kWh early last year.

Right now it makes sense to reuse packs by refurbishing them (since they have no choice but to take the back pack under warranty), but trying to assign a significant core value to them would be difficult.

Your cell degradation percentage calculation for value is also way too optimistic. Rather there will first be a huge cut because of used part depreciation, then a cut from newer packs being more competitive. Going with some more realistic assumptions, say the pack has been used 50k miles (I'm using this because the following values are available at this mileage): the car will lose 28% in value by this time, pack degrades around 5%. So core value will be at most $190/kWh * 72% = $137/kWh. The pack most likely would be an 85kWh, so valued at 80kWh with 5% loss, for a core value of ~$11k.

In case you think that core value is low, Nissan offers only a $1000 core value for their 24kWh pack. Even at half capacity, that is only $83/kWh.

The marginal retail price of a Tesla pack is $300/kWh ($3000 for the 10kWh upgrade), so 100kWh would be $30000. Add in the other costs around $2000 (the destination, installation, certification, etc) and that works out to $32k. $32-11k = $21k to do the upgrade. That's high enough that it will make people seriously consider putting that $21k toward a new Tesla and selling their old one.

The other driving force is that service centers are already swamped handling regular service issues, plus the battery packs are worth far more money installed in a new car than upgrading an older car (which also discourages the owner from buying a new one).