Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Model S w/ Lightweight Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ Very nice! The spoke design makes it more like 20's! Those 19's are killer lightweight. I bet you can feel it. Faster acceleration and nore nimble steering.

Can you take another picture like the first one with both wheels in the frame but lighten up the exposure so you can see the wheel?

Here's my car with the forgestar c5fv's on it. Wheels came without any defects, although they did require a fair amount of weights when they were balanced (~3->3.5oz in places).

Usually when that much weight is required the tires are not seated properly. The guide rib should be even all around.

To properly seat a tire:

1. Lubricate the tire bead area and the rim surface with passenger tire lubricant.

2. Inflate slowly until the bead pops over the safety ledges. Don't exceed 40 psi for this. If the beads don't go over the safety ledges try lubricating again. In the worst case the safety ledge may have to be machined a bit.

3. Deflate the tire to zero.

4. Inflate the tire to the maximum pressure on the sidewall.

5. Reduce the pressure to the operating pressure.

6. Check the guide rib.

Off to the landfill I see...it's OK. I do the same, but I put my Hefty CinchSaks in the back seat...cuts down on the immediate odor.

haha, those are my winter tires. :) This was taken in front of the Tesla service center in Toronto.

- - - Updated - - -

^ Very nice! The spoke design makes it more like 20's! Those 19's are killer lightweight. I bet you can feel it. Faster acceleration and nore nimble steering.

Can you take another picture like the first one with both wheels in the frame but lighten up the exposure so you can see the wheel?

I'll give my DSLR a shot, it's hard to get a nice exposure of the car and the wheels at the same time...

Here's my attempt at a HDR pic of my S so you can see the wheels better...

ms_hdr2.jpg

NICE!!!!! They look GREAT! What tires did you get?

I can't wait to get mine! I got them in glass gunmetal - hopefully close to the 21in performance wheels.

I got a set of the stock goodyear eagle rs-a2's... When they're finished, I'll probably get something more performance oriented.

- - - Updated - - -

I have done a ton of research and really like the TSW 20" Jerez (28 lbs) and 20" Interlago (23 lbs). Does anyone see any issues with these wheels?

Are you going with the 20x9 with 35mm offset?

I am not sure. I was thinking I needed 20x8.5. Will the 20x9 with 35mm offset work okay? I'm trying to read up and educate myself on this so I know what I should and should not do. I was planning to talk to Butler Tire to ask them what they can recommend.

The only offset I see for 20x8.5 in 5x120 is 43mm. Not sure that will work. I think you can go with a lower positive offset, but I don't believe you can go the other way. (i could be wrong, but that is my understanding) Try pm'ing jerry33 or nrcooled, either of those guys should know if you don't get a confirmation on this thread.

I am not sure. I was thinking I needed 20x8.5. Will the 20x9 with 35mm offset work okay? I'm trying to read up and educate myself on this so I know what I should and should not do. I was planning to talk to Butler Tire to ask them what they can recommend.

A 20x9 +35 should fit fine in the wheel wells. Stick with a 245/40-20 to stay on the safe side. Ultimately, you will have plenty of room to fit them and retain full functionality with no rubbing.

I will be moving to a much more aggressive setup in the next year so I can be the guinea pig for all those looking for fitment info.

Install scheduled for Tuesday morning. I went with 20x9", 35 offset. The load rating of the tires is important though since this is a heavy car. Load rating has to be XL, and still needs to be double checked. 245/40/20 are waaaaay cheaper than 255/40/20, for whatever reason. This was all based on a discussion with a tire tech at Tirerack.

Forgestars

Congrats! Curious to see pics when you get them. What color is your ms? I'm considering the same wheel on my grey MS. I'm not a wheel expert so don't know all these specs. Do you know if the stock good years will fit in that same staggered configuration or do you need to have different size tires front and rear? I'm just trying to figure out if I should wait to order the wheel with new tires or if I can get them now and use my good years. I only have 5k miles. Thx! Keith

I just pulled the trigger on forgestar cf5v 19x8.5 +35 and 19x9.5 +35 gloss gunmetal.... and now the wait begins.

When the time gets close I'll order mich super sports 245/40/19 and 265/40/19's.
(I calculated more aggressive offset so that 255/275 could be possible in the future if desired)

I need to find lugs and tpms too - but worse case I can pull them off my existing set.

:)