Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Model S w/ Lightweight Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stretch and stance....

Interested in finding out what wheel you went.

I've got a set of Wed Borphes, that are 19" that I may have rebuilt (step-lipped) to 20" and re-drilled from 5x114 to 5x120 for the Tesla. Just need to get off my butt to do it though.

Agreed, this is not a recommended fitment for the masses. Disclaimer - do not try this at home

Not only for the masses, but anyone. I'm surprised you were able to find an installer willing to stretch a tire so far. Most reputable installers would balk at stretching a half inch over the largest recommended wheel size, and yours is a full inch wider. The risk for a blowout is just too large. You have 10.4" tires on 11.5" wheels :scared:, and on an application that mandates an unusually high tire pressure. Those two combined will increase your risk of blowout dramatically. You've got a pretty dangerous setup, there.

I'm an idiot and I was curious why everyone was worried. The wheel is a 19x10.5. An 11.5 will NOT FIT in the rear. The 10.5 fills the entire wheel well.

The 265 is perfect for the set up and will not add any additional width to the setup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I'm an idiot and I was curious why everyone was worried. The wheel is a 19x10.5. An 11.5 will NOT FIT in the rear. The 10.5 fills the entire wheel well.

The 265 is perfect for the set up and will not add any additional width to the setup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Why would you want to run 265 on a 10.5" wheel? 295 at minimum, 305 preferable. 265 just sounds like a curb rash nightmare! :biggrin:

Hey guys I have read through the whole thread here, I still have some questions.

I have on order a P85+ in gray. I almost ordered the 21" turbines in dark gray but decided to go aftermarket. If I understand correctly, the OEM 21" wheels are 21x9 all around. What is the offset on each end? What is the bolt pattern and the center bore? I am really trying to get the most wheel and tire and the best flush look without any rubbing. Car has the adjustable suspension. The size I was recommended was 21x9 ET30 245/35/21 and 21x10 ET40 285/30/21. But I think this is still a bit conservative, no?

I am looking at BC racing with the one I am leaning towards being the BC HB09S
BC-HB09S-2.jpg

The car is coming with red calipers, and I think the bolts will match some of the chrome trim on the car. Any opinions welcome.

Attachments

• BC-HB09S-2.jpg
    BC-HB09S-2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,093
The 21-inch OEM wheels are mandatory with the P85+. Are you really going to pay $4500 for the OEMs and then go aftermarket?

I'm sorry I need to get my models straight. It is a P85. I did not get the race suspension package. So I got the basic 19 or 18 or whatever the car comes with and I was going to install snow tires on those and make them winter wheels. I have all other options except the fog lamps and clear protectant film. I am considering a vinyl wrap as well. Not in love with any of the Tesla factory colors.

Ah, understood.

I was hoping Tesla had made the OEM wheels no longer mandatory, as I was also hoping to go aftermarket. But I'm not buying those wheels and then storing them.

I suppose you can always sell the 21" turbines or exchange them with someone with smaller wheels to make them winter wheels. I have to do the same with the all season tires as they come mandatory, I can't actually get dedicated snow tires on the car. I have no need for all seasons since I have two sets of wheels. I also suppose the suspension package price is not so bad if you consider you are getting a $4500 wheel upgrade, so it is closer to $2000. I'm still wondering if this is something I want though because I read on here some of those differences like the control arms are already incorporated into the newer models. That setup seems worthwhile on smooth roads which I do not have here, or if you take the car to the track. I have a dedicated track car.

Also note that those wheels seem to be cast. 21" wheels are very large, not leaving a lot of rubber to absorb impact with. Too big really, this is more a nod to looks than any sort of real performance. So I worry they will bend quicker. What I have pictured is at least a fully forged wheel, which should give the wheel a fighting chance against potholes. The wheels are also custom made centers so the centerbore is exact, meaning to need for hubcentric rings which is a bit of a mickey mouse way of making wheels fit. I am still trying to figure out my sizing though, car comes in end of February.

I agree that the 21-inch wheels are really too big (I'm curious as to whether Tesla had any reason for choosing them beyond appearance). Wheels that big should be reserved for concept cars, not production vehicles.

The roads here are also far from pristine. If I'm constantly getting flats, I may end up selling the 21's as you suggest. The pre-owned wheel market is kind of flooded right now though, so I'd be lucky to get half of what I paid.

If you are even considering the Performance Plus (suspension) package, take note: The package includes only the suspension upgrades and converting the 21-inch rears to a slightly wider version. You still have to pay for all the other required features (Air suspension, Tech Package, 21-inch wheels, etc) on top of the cost of the P+. The fee is fixed. There are no included features to discount it. Makes it a bit of a hard sell unless you absolutely want maximum performance.

Be sure to start a thread when you get your car in a few weeks. Mine isn't coming until April.

I agree that the 21-inch wheels are really too big (I'm curious as to whether Tesla had any reason for choosing them beyond appearance). Wheels that big should be reserved for concept cars, not production vehicles.

The roads here are also far from pristine. If I'm constantly getting flats, I may end up selling the 21's as you suggest. The pre-owned wheel market is kind of flooded right now though, so I'd be lucky to get half of what I paid.

If you are even considering the Performance Plus (suspension) package, take note: The package includes only the suspension upgrades and converting the 21-inch rears to a slightly wider version. You still have to pay for all the other required features (Air suspension, Tech Package, 21-inch wheels, etc) on top of the cost of the P+. The fee is fixed. There are no included features to discount it. Makes it a bit of a hard sell unless you absolutely want maximum performance.

Be sure to start a thread when you get your car in a few weeks. Mine isn't coming until April.

Mayhemm that is indeed pricey, and now I realize why I did not get it. $6500 for upgraded dampers and bushings is a lot of money. And then the question is.... is this usable on the average street with your average driver. I am a fairly seasoned track rat with a lot of experience with race cars. I've ran all the tracks in the Northeast and Laguna Seca. I've been at Monticello Motor Club's private track several times, Watkins glen international many times, and various other smaller tracks. Next year I will be at the newly opened Thompson Speedway and NJMSP. This package seems more fit for someone that wants to take their model S to the track but there are no charging stations there so I don't know how you would do it. Those bushings also are harsher on the street. Add 21" wheels and you are looking at a pretty stiff car. I honestly don't see a need for anything larger than an 18-19 max on the street, in fact most racers use 15-17" on the track for weight and tire cost reasons. All these big wheels are pretty much for the bling factor. Which is fine to make the car look good, I mean I am sticking with 21 but anyone thinking it makes them faster is not looking at reality. So do you know the stock wheel specs in terms of bolt pattern, center bore and offset? I don't trust most wheel places I like to do my own calculations.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also considering the HB29. I am a bit torn on these two. One has the exposed bolts which I like better and one has a pattern I like better.

HB29-GMMGMX.jpg

This is weird I just made two posts and don't see either of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway the gist of it was that $6500 is a lot for the suspension package, and I don't think it's all that usable on the street instead of a racetrack. I wish i could have driven both back to back. Also I am considering this wheel:

HB29-BBFBX-750x750.jpg

Yeah, don't know what was going on there. My subscription list showed that you had posted but there was nothing here in the thread.

Anyway the gist of it was that $6500 is a lot for the suspension package, and I don't think it's all that usable on the street instead of a racetrack.

This is a bit ironic (and sad) since on a racetrack the Model S thermals will quickly get out of hand and the car will limit power.

I'm getting a P85+, not because I think I'll ever need the extra capability, but because my car will kind of be the example in my region for what is possible with an EV. It's an ideological expense. :biggrin:

That's a nice wheel choice, BTW. What are the specs?

Hey guys I have read through the whole thread here, I still have some questions.

I have on order a P85+ in gray. I almost ordered the 21" turbines in dark gray but decided to go aftermarket. If I understand correctly, the OEM 21" wheels are 21x9 all around. What is the offset on each end? What is the bolt pattern and the center bore? I am really trying to get the most wheel and tire and the best flush look without any rubbing. Car has the adjustable suspension. The size I was recommended was 21x9 ET30 245/35/21 and 21x10 ET40 285/30/21. But I think this is still a bit conservative, no?

I am looking at BC racing with the one I am leaning towards being the BC HB09S
BC-HB09S-2.jpg

The car is coming with red calipers, and I think the bolts will match some of the chrome trim on the car. Any opinions welcome.

Those are definiately some sweet looking rims. Can't tell the exact finish on there but if they come in that black/silver machined finish and I had >$1000 per rim to spare, I'd totally get a 20" set of these.