Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Model S w/ Lightweight Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a P85+, not because I think I'll ever need the extra capability, but because my car will kind of be the example in my region for what is possible with an EV. It's an ideological expense. :biggrin:

That's a nice wheel choice, BTW. What are the specs?

I see. I get the ideological expense thing. :D The wheel specs I have listed, but the point of my posts is to get more info on if I can go wider and a less conservative offset STILL. I guess not too many people know.

Those are definiately some sweet looking rims. Can't tell the exact finish on there but if they come in that black/silver machined finish and I had >$1000 per rim to spare, I'd totally get a 20" set of these.

The finish is something I am trying to decide on as well. I will either go black, gunmetal, or matte gunmetal (pictured). I will most likely not do a seperate color lip like pictured here in gloss black. While that looks good with a wheel just sitting there, once on a car with shined-up tires the wheel edge disappears into the side wall... and because the inner lip has rivets, it will give the effect that IT is the outer edge of the wheel from a distance, and that the spokes are "floating" onto the tires. That is not the effect I want so I will match the lip to the spoke color. Right now leaning toward matte gunmetal. Opinions are welcome.

Hey guys I have read through the whole thread here, I still have some questions.

I have on order a P85+ in gray. I almost ordered the 21" turbines in dark gray but decided to go aftermarket. If I understand correctly, the OEM 21" wheels are 21x9 all around. What is the offset on each end? What is the bolt pattern and the center bore? I am really trying to get the most wheel and tire and the best flush look without any rubbing. Car has the adjustable suspension. The size I was recommended was 21x9 ET30 245/35/21 and 21x10 ET40 285/30/21. But I think this is still a bit conservative, no?
The stock 21s are 21x8.5 et42 (I think...the specs are on the TMC board but I'm too lazy to search for them).

That fitment is a safe setup that you stated above. What will change things is if you plan to lower your car. I am currently running 19x9.5 +30 on all corners but I'm about 1.5" lower. I did have 19x10.5 +20 in the rear but I didn't like the look of that particular wheel and wanted to go concave and not dished.

With your planned setup the fronts will not poke and won't be flush. If you want flush do 10mm less offset (+20) or go a half inch wider. The rear should be good as is.

Again, if you plan to lower the car it changes things and you may find that you will rub in the rear with anything more aggressive.

I am looking at BC racing with the one I am leaning towards being the BC HB09S
BC-HB09S-2.jpg

The car is coming with red calipers, and I think the bolts will match some of the chrome trim on the car. Any opinions welcome.

I like the second set you posted better. The issue I have with exposed bolts is that they tend to look more "racer" when the Model S is luxury. I put multi piece wheels on my S2000 and they had exposed bolts and I felt it looked the part but I don't think they will jive with the MS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Here's my car with the forgestar c5fv's on it. Wheels came without any defects, although they did require a fair amount of weights when they were balanced (~3->3.5oz in places). Just using the camera phone for now, couldn't be bothered to wash the car and get out the DSLR. :)

View attachment 21971View attachment 21972
Very nice, and thanks for sharing all the great data. I honestly think your 19" look better than larger diameters.

Can someone help me out with this? I have been reading but can't really find any reliable data on range impact with lighter, but wider wheels.

I plan to use my Volk (light weight), but wider 255/40/20 front, 285/35/20 rear.

I will be using my car from Barstow supercharger to Las Vegas supercharger and there will be a detour which in between. Total of 200 miles. If I use the AC, and account for other condition, I might lose 20% range easy. 260 miles rated range x 0.8 = 208 range. With the wider wheels, more friction, I cannot afford to take any hit on the range lost.

Does anyone have any experience with range impact? on lighter, wider wheels?

Can someone help me out with this? I have been reading but can't really find any reliable data on range impact with lighter, but wider wheels.

I plan to use my Volk (light weight), but wider 255/40/20 front, 285/35/20 rear.

I will be using my car from Barstow supercharger to Las Vegas supercharger and there will be a detour which in between. Total of 200 miles. If I use the AC, and account for other condition, I might lose 20% range easy. 260 miles rated range x 0.8 = 208 range. With the wider wheels, more friction, I cannot afford to take any hit on the range lost.

Does anyone have any experience with range impact? on lighter, wider wheels?

Have you driven with the wheels at all? You should be able to tell if you can cruise at 65mph @ X wh/m. If you're cutting it that close, you'll need to just drive slower. A 5mph decrease in speed helps a lot.

Lighter wheels won't make a ton of difference. For what it's worth, let's say that you'll do better than 21", but worse than 19". Your offsets will change range too, the more flush, the less aero dynamic they'll be.

I would guess that the lighter wheels have almost no benefit for steady state highway long distance driving, but the increased tire contact patch of wider wheels will negatively impact range to some degree. Pumping them up to maximum pressure may counter some of that.

I would guess that the lighter wheels have almost no benefit for steady state highway long distance driving, but the increased tire contact patch of wider wheels will negatively impact range to some degree. Pumping them up to maximum pressure may counter some of that.

Ya, I agree, but how big is the impact? I can't seem to find any data. an owner claims there is no difference with 20" wheel with 285/40/20 at the rear. I am confused, some owners using 21" stock wheels getting an average of 210 miles per full charge, where some is getting 290kw/mi.

I don't get it.

There are a lot of variables. I had 19" volks, and could hit my rated miles easily at freeway speed. Now I have 20s and use 10% more energy. But still less than when I had 21s.

The reason you see people getting very different numbers is probably due to elevation changes. When I drive from NorCal to SoCal, I drive ~75-80mph and get an average of 330 wh/mile on my 20".

I think your best bet is to find a charger in the middle and charge for an hour or two. If this is a regular kind of drive you'll be doing, eventually you won't make the trip on a single charge due to degradation. If this is a once in awhile trip, have a couple chargers mapped out just in case.

Hey guys, after asking many questions. I finally got my Volks wheels on and I am very satisfied with the result.

Here is my settings. Volks VR G2 20x9 +35 front, 20x10 +40 rear, original bolt patterns 5x114.3, re-drilled to 5x120

As for my tires, 255/40/20 front, the ideal front should be 245/40, but Michelin don't make 245/40, as you can see from the photo, my front is barely touching the liner. For most condition, 255/40/20 will not rub.

Now my rear, the ideal wheel setup should be 20x10 +35, since my wheel is +40 with 285/35/20 rear, it barely fits and you have to zip ties the inner liner to prevent rubbing. I also installed a 5mm spacer which now fit perfectly.

I drove about 100 miles today, with 325kw/miles, not bad.

DSC02985.JPG
DSC02986.JPG
DSC02987.JPG

Whats the absolute max width you can go for the front wheels/tires without severe rubbing? I want a wider tire that the 8.5 stock width but really don't want to do a staggered setup so I can still rotate.
You can go 9" or 9.5" wide on the front and rear for a rotatable setup. The HRE FF01 is a 20" lightweight wheel for the Model S.
TeslaFF01_TMC.jpg

The HRE P40SC is the 19/21" forged option.
TeslaP40SC_TMC.jpg

Last edited:
Forge Monoblock 20"

Hi all,

I've almost non knowledge about rims and is hoping to get some help here!

I have a P85D on order with 19" rims that I planned to use for the winter wheels and go aftermarket for the summer rims. I've have looked for forged monoblock rims to get good strength/weight ratio.

Ive received a suggestion and a quote from Forgeline: Welcome to Forgeline Motorsports but lacks the knowledge to verify if it will work and if it makes sense.

For the front they suggest 20 X 8.5 GT1-5LUG 5 X 120 CB 74.1 ET 32
and for the rear they suggest 20 X 10 GT1-5LUG 5 X 120 CB 74.1 ET 37

They also write
USE 235 40 20 AND 275 40 20 TIRES

Thankfull for any help!

I just got in my TSW Nurburgrings in 20"x9" (all the way around as I do not need the stagger for oversteer margin or looks). They are just under 25lbs versus 31lbs for my previous 21" Tesla turbines.
Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW
The quality was much better than expected and, at $350 each, you simply can not beat the value.
I did order five rims. It has been my experience with aftermarket rims that having a spare is a good idea. Some rims go out of production while custom machined mono blocks can be six to eight weeks to get a replacement. I've had to replace four rims in the past when only one gets damaged.
My tire choice were 255/40-20 Porsche sized Pilot Super Sports. Better wear, grip and price when compared to the Pilot Sport 2s.
Do be aware that the TPMS sensors have changed with the PD so make sure you use your old ones or pick up a set of Contenental sensors from Tesla (I paid $200 for all four!!).
Best of luck.
Bill