Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pics of 19" vs 20" rims on the Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep jumping back between 19 & 20" rims, anyone have a bunch of before and after photos?
I want the look of the 20" but really want the softer ride from the 19" . I already upgraded the suspension to the redwood motorsports grand touring and really want to maintain a soft ride. (I have the stock 19" gemini now, but hate the look). I was going to go with the vossen HF-5 20" rims, but can't figure out size yet. MIght go with 19" if there's a size rim/tire that looks good?

The Vossen HF-5 20" rims look great, IMO. I like this "Kitchen Chef Fork" design.

You could do a Google search using: -> image Tesla with vossen HF-5 20" rims <-

What color is your MY, and what rim color do you have in mind?

Tesla-Model-3-Hybrid-Forged-Series-HF-5-©-Vossen-Wheels-2019-703-1047x698.jpg

Last edited:
I keep jumping back between 19 & 20" rims, anyone have a bunch of before and after photos?
I want the look of the 20" but really want the softer ride from the 19" . I already upgraded the suspension to the redwood motorsports grand touring and really want to maintain a soft ride. (I have the stock 19" gemini now, but hate the look). I was going to go with the vossen HF-5 20" rims, but can't figure out size yet. MIght go with 19" if there's a size rim/tire that looks good?
I have similar feelings, but think I found the compromise. Satin black 19" rims look good. Powdercoat those Geminis (not my car; mine's en route):
1641875100618.png

20211228_064949.jpg

19 Geminis with Remetrix cover.

There is a big difference between 19" and 20" in appearance and handling. I have both, although 19" is on an all season tire and 20" is on a summer tire. Almost all 19" look tiny and almost all 20" look just the right size on the MY. As Noflash said, a 19" in black reduces the smallish appearance. 19" all season tire is very squishy has excessive lean when changing direction, although it is a bit smoother riding not a huge difference. 20" summer tire has nice tight handling and is a good compromise coming from 21" Ubers.

Reactions: Noflash
The Vossen HF-5 20" rims look great, IMO. I like this "Kitchen Chef Fork" design.

You could do a Google search using: -> image Tesla with vossen HF-5 20" rims <-

What color is your MY, and what rim color do you have in mind?

View attachment 754301
yes, all the pics are with 20". it looks damn good Vendor - Vossen HF-5 Wheels on Tesla Model 3 *Pics & Vids* wish someone had it with 19". but i think with 19" i'd have to lower the car to make it look right (redwood ohlins' fully adjustable coil overs) i just raised it back to stock and it rides a lot softer (had it 1/2" lower).

There is a big difference between 19" and 20" in appearance and handling. I have both, although 19" is on an all season tire and 20" is on a summer tire. Almost all 19" look tiny and almost all 20" look just the right size on the MY. As Noflash said, a 19" in black reduces the smallish appearance. 19" all season tire is very squishy has excessive lean when changing direction, although it is a bit smoother riding not a huge difference. 20" summer tire has nice tight handling and is a good compromise coming from 21" Ubers.
since i have the ohlin's suspension i won't get much excessive lean. If i go 19" what size rim ? 9? 9.5?
if I go 20" 9" or 9.5"? and in all cases +35mm offset?

I chose to stay19s in an effort to just find some forged lightweight options while keeping my tires as meaty as possible. View attachment 755484
any more pics? that actually looks good. did you also lower it? what size rims 19x10 40mm offset? what size tires?
hows the curb rash? i am torn between looks of 20 vs. ride comfort of 19. i have the ohlins fully adjustable coil overs already

20210522_120155.jpg
20211009_120451.jpg

These are 19" wheels. I wanted more sidewall for better ride and potentially more protection against potholes. It doesn't look as good as the lowered Model Y on 19s posted earlier but a 20 will look the same unless it is lowered. The 20" rims don't change the outside diameter of the wheel/tire, they just change the size of the rim in the middle. I also didn't want to spend $2,000 on the induction wheels because I didn't like them and figured I could spend my $2,000 on something I liked more.

View attachment 758467View attachment 758469
These are 19" wheels. I wanted more sidewall for better ride and potentially more protection against potholes. It doesn't look as good as the lowered Model Y on 19s posted earlier but a 20 will look the same unless it is lowered. The 20" rims don't change the outside diameter of the wheel/tire, they just change the size of the rim in the middle. I also didn't want to spend $2,000 on the induction wheels because I didn't like them and figured I could spend my $2,000 on something I liked more.
Looks great. To each his own. I have 20 inch induction wheels on my red MYLR and think the black wheels coordinate well with black door handles and trim.

Looks good to me. Clean and shiny. Keep it up.

Thanks for the pics - I think those look really nice. As others have mentioned, 19" in darker colours do seem to work better as then contrast less with the tyre width.

Don't mean to threadjack, but what was the cost all-in to get the redwood set installed? I want to get these installed on my MYP

Don't mean to threadjack, but what was the cost all-in to get the redwood set installed? I want to get these installed on my MYP.
Absolutely love the redwoods. All in installed under $5k. Worth it.