Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of beta visits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some important tidbits from my discussions with the Tesla "minders" at the Boston beta event today:
  • All Model Ss have built-in GSM, which allows smartphone apps and software updates regardless of whether you also choose to buy the 3G/4G service.
  • Model S will have a 4-year / 50,000 mile "bumper to bumper" limited warranty.
  • Annual service charge will not be higher than $600/year and will likely be lower.
  • Tesla has contracted a third party to conduct snow testing of the Model S; initial feedback is extremely positive.

Some important tidbits from my discussions with the Tesla "minders" at the Boston beta event today:
  • All Model Ss have built-in GSM, which allows smartphone apps and software updates regardless of whether you also choose to buy the 3G/4G service.
  • Model S will have a 4-year / 50,000 mile "bumper to bumper" limited warranty.
  • Annual service charge will not be higher than $600/year and will likely be lower.
  • Tesla has contracted a third party to conduct snow testing of the Model S; initial feedback is extremely positive.
Elon is going to have a rude awakening if he thinks people will pay a annual service charge anywhere near $600/year. Aside from the early adopters of course.

Actually, the first couple of years would be the most critical time to pay that maintenance fee. If there are problems with the electronics or battery pack, they'll be there early and completely repaired under warranty.

i think qwk's point is that many people will not consider the S if they realize they have to pay $600 a year for maintenance fee. people would rather pay as you go than pay an upfront when they might not see value in it.

i think qwk's point is that many people will not consider the S if they realize they have to pay $600 a year for maintenance fee. people would rather pay as you go than pay an upfront when they might not see value in it.

While I'm sure that many will think that, I think that it will be a net savings. Given the value of my time (i.e. what I could make in a given hour) the hour or two that I spend doing oil changes every few months costs a lot more than what I pay the dealer for the oil change . One service per year? Yesplease.

While I'm sure that many will think that, I think that it will be a net savings. Given the value of my time (i.e. what I could make in a given hour) the hour or two that I spend doing oil changes every few months costs a lot more than what I pay the dealer for the oil change . One service per year? Yesplease.
Why are you doing oil changes every few months? Use synthetic and change it every 12k miles.

$600/year is outrageous and more than I've ever spent on maintenance before (granted I've never owned a car that cost more than $50k) and EV's are supposed to be "simple" and "low maintenance". I agree with qwk that after first wave of nutters (that would be us) people are going to balk. Especially since they're comparing Model S to a 5-series where all the maint. is free for the first few years. They're going to have no choice but to follow the germans down this path.

What makes the $600 annual servicing even worse is the fact that for many of us, it would go with a $1000 plus fee to have a Tesla ranger drive to our city to work on our car (my Model S will not be within battery range of a service center, and I cannot be the only one in that situation). $1600 a is going to be a major problem, particularly for the 40KW buyers like myself who are already stretching to get this car.

Why are you doing oil changes every few months? Use synthetic and change it every 12k miles.

$600/year is outrageous and more than I've ever spent on maintenance before (granted I've never owned a car that cost more than $50k) and EV's are supposed to be "simple" and "low maintenance". I agree with qwk that after first wave of nutters (that would be us) people are going to balk. Especially since they're comparing Model S to a 5-series where all the maint. is free for the first few years. They're going to have no choice but to follow the germans down this path.
Very outrageous, especially since Tesla touts the "no oil changes, spark plugs, muffler, air filter ect" slogan. People will be like WTF am I paying for if there is no maintenance to be done. BMW's free maintenance marketing campaign also doesn't help.

Guys, considering we have ZERO solid info yet, let's not flip out. For all we know it will be $250/year with first 4 years free. If they announce pricing and it comes in really high, then let Tesla have it, but until then, there's no reason to get all angry over rumors.

I have a question on Ranger Fees. If you have multiple vehicles that need service, do they charge you a separate ranger fee for each vehicle? What if you pooled your vehicles together with neighbors for a ranger visit?

Not at the moment with the Roadster. Each car is a separate, full ranger fee. Things done under warranty though don't have a ranger fee (free visit and warranty work).