TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pics of my car with wrapped chrome and some carbon fiber accents

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by zax123, May 1, 2013.

1. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

#1 zax123, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    Hi all,

I originally posted some pics in the "Full Wrap" thread, but this really isn't a full wrap.

Instead, I decided to black out most of the chrome bits and put some carbon fiber wrap in some places (namely the nosecone, the side mirrors and the cheap grey plastic bit at the back of the car -- name escapes me).

Here are some pics of the work, I'm very happy with it. Please note that my car was only moderately clean -- it got dusty on the way to work where I took the pics. What do you guys think?

DSC_0081-001.JPG DSC_0082-001.JPG DSC_0083-001.JPG DSC_0084-001.JPG DSC_0086-001.JPG DSC_0087.JPG DSC_0088-001.JPG DSC_0090-001.JPG DSC_0091-001.JPG

Edit: Here's the back after Plastidip'ing the license plate holder:
    dark back.jpg

Rob

2. kishdude

kishdude P #130

Wow! that looks great.

3. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

these nosecone mods may grow on me later but atm im not really a fan of them

other than that the carbon fiber looks good, now all you need to do is get the windows tinted then it will look incredible

4. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I hear you, it's a matter of taste... I just didn't like the plasticky look of the cone...

As for tints, believe it or not, they are already at the legal limit for Quebec... it's a really sunny day here, so it might not show too much... they actually look darker "in person".

5. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

How did you wrap the door handles?

Can you show a picture with the handles extended?

6. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Will do later this evening. :)

They only did the outside facing side of the handles. I didn't ask them to do the inside, I didn't want the wrap perhaps interfering with mechanisms or blocking the lights... I'll put up a pic later!

7. loganss

loganss Spaceman

The unchroming of the car looks great! The amount of chrome the car had was a minor issue of mine but not big enough to do something about it.

8. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

That was my worry as well.

Can't wait to see it. I will possibly get mine done in blue body color as well.

9. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Can you say "KITT", aka Knight Rider! Awesome!

10. Jello

Jello Member

OK, I'm convinced. Just made an appointment to get that done myself!

11. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Glad I could be of service. :p

12. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Funny, that's the first thing that came to my mind as well. :wink:

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Looks awesome. I actually like the cf nose as well

14. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Maybe the "under the nose" announcement is the blinking lights. :p

15. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Very cool wrap!

Actually, as I detailed my car this past weekend, I did have one issue - the plastic trim around the bottom of the car. I know why it is the way it is, and its how most cars are. But because it's a softer material, it is always going to not match the rest of the car and it's going to be prone to dulling, esp in the AZ sun.

Can one wrap those parts? I'm never wrapped (not even clear bra'd) cars in the past. And I'm happy with the clear bra. But could one have the plastic trim wrapped? if so, I would consider it. Of course would need to decide what would be better to wrap those parts.

Any thoughts?

16. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Zax that looks great. I have been thinking of doing the rear diffuser too. It is hard to tell in the pics, how close is the look of the carbon fiber wrap to the spoiler? What product did you use?

17. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Hey JG,

The carbon fiber isn't that close to the spoiler because the wrap actually has texture. The color is pretty close but the texture is way off. I was contemplating spraying it with some kind of gloss, but it actually looks really nice so I'll leave it for now...

This is the product they used: 3M 1080. I used the "black" carbon fiber.

18. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I Plastidip'ed my license plate holder last night -- I added Glossifier after 4 coats of Plastidip. Looks much better than before:

Before:
    DSC_0091-001.JPG

After:
    dark back.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

When I went to have the trim on my car wrapped, I wanted to do those side plastic bits as well as the ones in front/back. The only one the wrapper would do is the rear diffuser because the plastic is a lot smoother, so the adhesion of the vinyl was one he could guarantee.

For the side bits, since the plastic is rougher, he said the wrap would peel off prematurely and didn't recommend it. Too bad because I wanted to wrap those in CF as well. They could be plastidiped though... I would love to take them off the car and plastidip them, but since my car is black, the dark grey blends decently with the rest of the car and I'll leave it for now.

19. Soflason

Soflason Member

Big fan of your work here Zax123 and I completely agree - the plasticky look of the nosecone is sub-par relative to the overall design aesthetic of the Model S.

20. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

I too very much like the look, though I'm a bit less enthused about the nose cone as it looks like a wrap rather than the nose cone appearing to actually be made of carbon. But I also agree that it is better than the stock shiny plastic version. As I wrote elsewhere, in red it would be very "Rudolph." I hadn't realized how "meh" the chrome was for me until I saw your car - great improvement!