TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pics of NEMA 14-50 directly to garage

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by JRMW, Dec 10, 2016.

1. JRMW

JRMW Member

IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0029.JPG perhaps this should be on Charging thread, but some asked for pics of my setup.

My house only has 100 amp service
    I have a detached garage, and electrical poles are in alley by garage.

Thus had 100 amp service sent directly to garage.

Cost $1800 for permits electrician
    Xcel energy hasn't yet hooked it up,
    All they need to do is run the lines about 20 feet
    Price for xcel unknown.

This is a dedicated EV line. $4.95 per month plus 3.3 cents per kWH off peak. (9pm to 9am.)
    On peak 17.5 cents in June To Sept, 14.2 cents Oct to May

Hope that helps!

• Like x 5
  2. steveho

steveho Member

@JRMW Thanks for posting these pics! I think I'm not far from you. I'm near diamond lake.

3. Gig103

Gig103 Member

Nice EV plan! SRP (Arizona) gives me about $0.065/kWh from 11pm-5am. But I am able to time-shift my pool pump to run the same hours :)

And I'm curious; with 100A service have you considered a HPWC and dual-chargers in the car? I ask because it's going to be easier to pre-wire now before it's drywalled in.

4. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Nice install. That is a great deal for off peak hours.

5. flying_things

flying_things Member

In California Bay Area. PG&E charges 12 cents for off-peak EV plan, 44 cents during summer peak. Sign....

6. JRMW

JRMW Member

Yes. It's almost criminal to not have an EV in MN

I'm from SF (the city)
    Still have family there, so go back 2/year.

Love MN now though

Then again, it's 15 degrees here today. o_O

• Like x 1
  7. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

Yeah, the heat was bothering me, too. But the snow cooled it down a bit. :)

• Like x 2
  8. JRMW

JRMW Member

@steveho
    Yes, you're long walking distance!

9. energy7

energy7 Member

I'm kicking around the idea of 50 amp vs. 100 amp circuit. Since I have solar power, I want to take full advantage but my electric contractor is quoting $900 more for a 100 amp. Anyone have a 100 amp circuit installed and if so, was it worth it?

10. steveho

steveho Member

@energy7. I have solar on my house going to my main panel which is a 100A service. It is on a 20A breaker in my main panel. I have my detached garage as a 90A subpanel off the mains. On it, I wired 2 nema 14-50 outlets. I only have one EV (S60D) so the second one is for a future second EV (probably the Model 3). Obviously I wouldn't want to charge 2 cars at the same time, but I could schedule them so that they take turns. If I did both at the same time, the draw would be 80A.

Not sure why one would need a 100A breaker to the car. The 50A circuit (40A charging) will charge the whole car overnight.

11. energy7

energy7 Member

The reason I was considering the 100A by the car was so I could take advantage of the 72 amp charging. I think I'll stick with the 50 amp circuit for now though.

12. dhcp

dhcp Member

Still can't get over the 3.3/kWh for power, I had to read that twice because my mind couldn't wrap itself around it and our off-peak is just 11pm until 7am.

Lucky dog! :)

13. steveho

steveho Member

@dhcp I need to add the $0.033 /kwh at my house. It's next on my list. Our "regular" rate is about 0.08 / kwh. So electricity here in MN is a little lower than other places.