Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of NEMA 14-50 directly to garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
perhaps this should be on Charging thread, but some asked for pics of my setup.

My house only has 100 amp service
I have a detached garage, and electrical poles are in alley by garage.

Thus had 100 amp service sent directly to garage.

Cost $1800 for permits electrician
Xcel energy hasn't yet hooked it up,
All they need to do is run the lines about 20 feet
Price for xcel unknown.

This is a dedicated EV line. $4.95 per month plus 3.3 cents per kWH off peak. (9pm to 9am.)
On peak 17.5 cents in June To Sept, 14.2 cents Oct to May

Hope that helps!

Nice EV plan! SRP (Arizona) gives me about $0.065/kWh from 11pm-5am. But I am able to time-shift my pool pump to run the same hours :)

And I'm curious; with 100A service have you considered a HPWC and dual-chargers in the car? I ask because it's going to be easier to pre-wire now before it's drywalled in.

I'm kicking around the idea of 50 amp vs. 100 amp circuit. Since I have solar power, I want to take full advantage but my electric contractor is quoting $900 more for a 100 amp. Anyone have a 100 amp circuit installed and if so, was it worth it?

@energy7. I have solar on my house going to my main panel which is a 100A service. It is on a 20A breaker in my main panel. I have my detached garage as a 90A subpanel off the mains. On it, I wired 2 nema 14-50 outlets. I only have one EV (S60D) so the second one is for a future second EV (probably the Model 3). Obviously I wouldn't want to charge 2 cars at the same time, but I could schedule them so that they take turns. If I did both at the same time, the draw would be 80A.

Not sure why one would need a 100A breaker to the car. The 50A circuit (40A charging) will charge the whole car overnight.

@energy7. I have solar on my house going to my main panel which is a 100A service. It is on a 20A breaker in my main panel. I have my detached garage as a 90A subpanel off the mains. On it, I wired 2 nema 14-50 outlets. I only have one EV (S60D) so the second one is for a future second EV (probably the Model 3). Obviously I wouldn't want to charge 2 cars at the same time, but I could schedule them so that they take turns. If I did both at the same time, the draw would be 80A.

Not sure why one would need a 100A breaker to the car. The 50A circuit (40A charging) will charge the whole car overnight.
The reason I was considering the 100A by the car was so I could take advantage of the 72 amp charging. I think I'll stick with the 50 amp circuit for now though.