Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of PPF wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason I ask is I have PPF that was done via a template and I want the installer to redo a few areas and wrap them. I’m curious to see how the wrap seals around the edges of the doors cleanly without overlap or “bunching up”

thanks

The reason I ask is I have PPF that was done via a template and I want the installer to redo a few areas and wrap them. I’m curious to see how the wrap seals around the edges of the doors cleanly without overlap or “bunching up”

I can take a pic for you tomorrow if no one else has by then. IIRC -the amount of PPF that wraps around the edges isn't that wide. Did the installer tell you he was going to wrap the edges ?

Thanks @jkoya. Installer said it was template. In retrospect I should have told him to wrap the doors. Only thing wrapped is the hood. Also get dirt behind PPF at the door edges. Mostly comes off but still quite annoying and some stays. From afar no one can see but up close it’s not great especially on a red car

No lifting. Just a little dirt at edges. Once it gets warmer out I’m going to give the car a good wash and see how the doors look at the edges and if the dirt won’t free up. Over time I can see that could lead to the edges lifting but it seems very much adhere to the car.

Unfortunately with my install and white paint - no lines show up in iphone photos of my PPF. I have full frontal and extended rockers with the edges wrapped. The only non-wrapped edges are at the fog lights and it's a tight margin.

I'm not a big fan of templates since the film never gets 100% coverage and shrinks when heated. I was unlucky and had a paint chip in the ONE TINY SPOT that wasn't covered with film - literally a 2mm section of exposed paint.

I'm not a big fan of templates since the film never gets 100% coverage and shrinks when heated. I was unlucky and had a paint chip in the ONE TINY SPOT that wasn't covered with film - literally a 2mm section of exposed paint.

Similar experience with me also. The first car I had PPF applied to was a Nissan 350Z back in 2004. The hood was wrapped from a template and the edges were exposed. Of course, I got a rock chip on the exposed edge about a month later...

• Informative
Reactions: Premiertint
I was unlucky and had a paint chip in the ONE TINY SPOT that wasn't covered with film - literally a 2mm section of exposed paint.
You were not unlucky, this happens to 99% of cars that have PPF. The question becomes, where do you draw the line? Where do you stop applying PPF? Cover the nose, hood, mirrors, front doors, and lower rocker panels... and you'll get a chip on the top of the trunk.
Anywhere without PPF will get chipped/scratched.