Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of white Y with and without Gemini covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So first of all, this looks great. I was in debate between these wheels and the inductions - spending an extra $2k is hard to justify. What would happen if you plastidipped the edge with the cap off and then put the caps back on?

Just to address this more directly. He wouldn't want to plasti dip JUST the edges of the wheel. Plasti dip is only nice an easy to peel off when you have full consistent layers. If you just spray around the rim of the wheel (just the part which is showing in the pics) you would not have a good layer, and it would be a nightmare to peel off.

Question for those of you that take the gemini covers off and put them back on if you'll do lots of highway driving...

How long does it take to remove all four and how long to put all of them back on? Is it a pain to do? Can something break if this is done frequently? Thanks!

Question for those of you that take the gemini covers off and put them back on if you'll do lots of highway driving...

How long does it take to remove all four and how long to put all of them back on? Is it a pain to do? Can something break if this is done frequently? Thanks!

Taking off is extremely easy...almost seems too easy. 3-5 seconds, tops. I wonder to myself when taking them off when they are so easy if they are actually even secured well enough to the tire.

Putting them on...helps alleviate that fear because it does take a bit more time, and you have to push them on with a bit of force. Mainly, line up the cover with the inflator tube, push in the middle as much as you can, then pop in the cover all around the wheel. But seriously...15-20 seconds maybe?

They are held in with clips, so I do wonder how well the plastic would hold up with constant removal. I doubt they are designed to allow it to be done daily and hold up.

its harder to plastidip the actual rims. You need to do a lot of masking, covering the brake calipers, trying to get plastidip off the rubber tires, etc. Just plastidipping the covers means you don't have to do any of that. Plus if the covers get scratched, its super easy to spray some more plastidip on them, vs if it happened on the rim...I would have to remask everything..AGAIN.

If you dipped the wheel and not just the cover it would probably be easier to remove and dip 1 wheel at a time, at least you wouldn't have to worry about the brake calipers

If you dipped the wheel and not just the cover it would probably be easier to remove and dip 1 wheel at a time, at least you wouldn't have to worry about the brake calipers

Yeah...that is in general what people say about best way to plastidip wheels. Is...to take them off the car. You would still need to get plastidip off the tires, but that is doable.

But....the whole idea of plastidipping just the covers...is that its way easier. You don't have to remove the wheels from the car (no jack stands, etc), no masking, etc. Which means if you need to repair the plastidip later (like there is a scratch), that is also way easier.

Yeah...that is in general what people say about best way to plastidip wheels. Is...to take them off the car. You would still need to get plastidip off the tires, but that is doable.

But....the whole idea of plastidipping just the covers...is that its way easier. You don't have to remove the wheels from the car (no jack stands, etc), no masking, etc. Which means if you need to repair the plastidip later (like there is a scratch), that is also way easier.
I've seen quite a few Youtube videos where they put plastic bags around the brakes and then make sure to do enough overspray onto the tires so you can easily peel it off.

Do you think it is enough to just coat that edge a few times so that the outer rim is black - I don't really care what the rest of the rim looks like. I plan on also coating the silver on the cover to keep it two-tone with the grey and putting them back on over.

If you were planning on doing the actual wheel, I would recommend grabbing some of this "Dip Release" product.

Dip Release™ for Tires

You put it on the tires prior to spraying the plasti dip and then don't have to worry about masking the rubber because the overspray can be removed easily from the rubber.

They also sell full wheel kits, and have more auto oriented dip types (rather than the standard hardware store options) if you wanted to get into that.

Hmm...yeah buying dip release direct from dip my car was only going to be $4.89, vs amazon $8.50. Though it sounds like people just thinking its basically armorall tire shine. Its basically just putting something 'oily' on the rubber so the plastidip doesn't stick well to it.

I actually have a bunch of aerospace 303....I bet it would do about the same thing.

You can also do the oversized index card method ->

card.png

But that doesn't seem like a good idea to me...it seems like there can be a couple of spots where the plastidip on the card will be connected to the plastidip on the rim and might cause some peeling.

Anyway....maybe I will plastidip the rims.....but not right now. If it doesn't hold up on the covers then its not going to hold up on the rims.

Though...one thing that would make me change my mind quick...is if I scrape my rims. If that happens, I would plastidip over it to cover the damage.

OP, here, After some back and forth, I ended up using the caps from my Model 3 and the chrome covers that I just bought. I like the contrast as opposed to the all silver look. YMMV

View attachment 551854

Just to be clear, those are the M3 center caps and MX lug caps? I just ordered a Blue MY and will start with the exposed Gemini wheels with red calipers but like the caps you selected. Am ordering accessories now so stuff is waiting on my MY.

Thanks in advance

Has anyone tried to put the covers on Gemini wheels that have been powder coated?
When you powder coat something, it’s a fairly thick layer isn’t it? Will the covers still go on over the powder coat? And if so, will they chop or scratch the new powder coat finish?

Just to be clear, those are the M3 center caps and MX lug caps? I just ordered a Blue MY and will start with the exposed Gemini wheels with red calipers but like the caps you selected. Am ordering accessories now so stuff is waiting on my MY.

Thanks in advance

Yes, these are the center caps from a Model 3. The lug nut covers are the chrome 21mm that are good for a 18" Model 3 wheel or a 19" Gemini. I don't know about MX caps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G884TC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: TomServo
Painted pearl white and clear coat, something different but I think it looks good and easy to do.

Thpught?

View attachment 562424 View attachment 562425 View attachment 562426

Definitely looks interesting....I haven't seen white rims in person in my area yet to make an opinion on them or not. How did you paint them? Masking and spraypaint?

I finally went ahead and put Vinyl on the outside edge of my rims to get rid of the silver ring. Here is what it looked like before ->

20200610_120546(0).jpg

And after:

20200710_182258.jpg

Was actually easy to do. Took about...an hour. You don't have to be precise with it at all...you only see the outside edge of it. Well....maybe if you have your aero covers off frequently you will want to spend more time on it but I didn't.

I bought rvinyl black 3m 2080 vinyl, 1'x5', $16 on amazon. I cut 5' by 1/2" strips. If you stretch the strips just slightly as you put them on, 5' will cover the whole outside edge. Easy to put on...took more time to clean the wheel and cut the strip than putting them on. I used a heat gun...but....I don't think it did anything special vs just using my fingers to press the vinyl on.

20200710_171832.jpg

20200710_171842.jpg

Now to see how long the vinyl and plastidip last! A nice thing about the vinyl...is that if I ever get curb rash, I can just recover it with vinyl. The $16 of vinyl would be enough to do strips for 24 wheels.