Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of white Y with and without Gemini covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY with plasti-dipped and wrapped covers. I love that I get to keep the aerodynamics with a unique look. I did it myself.

20210809_175002.jpg
20210809_175026.jpg

Thanks Tom.
The parts of the cover that is white was originally black. The part that is carbon fiber was originally grey. The carbon fiber is a vinyl wrap that was applied to the cover. I purchased it pre cut for these wheel covers.
Understood. They do look good. Where did you buy the wrap? I'm still in favor of silver/chrome lug nut covers and center cap, but I can't seem to find the silver/chrome center cap anywhere. Why are people concerned with getting Plastidip on the sidewall of the tire? Does it look that bad?

Thanks,

Tom

Understood. They do look good. Where did you buy the wrap? I'm still in favor of silver/chrome lug nut covers and center cap, but I can't seem to find the silver/chrome center cap anywhere. Why are people concerned with getting Plastidip on the sidewall of the tire? Does it look that bad?

Thanks,

Tom
I have no idea about plastidip issues as I applied the plastidip with the covers off the car. I took the covers off and taped off the areas where the vinyl would go. I sprayed the Dip and once dry applied the vinyl to the other areas. I applied a Dip sealer to try to preserve the coating from peeling. At some point I might need to apply another layer of dip. I could also choose a different color at that time, if I wanted to.
I got the vinyl online. It's sold a a kit and I am pretty sure it is was from EVWraps.com. Applying them was not hard. You just have to take your time to get it to look nice.
While I like the look with the center cap and lug nut covers, I did not want to sacrifice range. I have seen multiple reports of loss of range without the aero covers. In my mind, losing range for a cosmetic change seems somewhat opposite to the entire point to buying an electric car. Now if the change is functional, like a rooftop camper or similar, then at least you are losing range for a purpose. Obviously some disagree, but I would not want to lose range just for appearance sake.
I like the carbon fiber look to contrast the white on the outside. You can also see that I added side mirror covers, side camera covers, door handle wraps, and the front headlights have a vinyl applique on the top part covering the silver, all of which are carbon fiber pattern. I may add a carbon fiber rear light wrap and a spoiler as well as some point to keep the theme.
Thanks,
Mark

I’ve not seen a definitive statement: how difficult is it to remove the Tesla cap kit to reinstall the stock Gemini covers? I know it comes with a lug cap puller, but for the logo center cap, I’ve heard everything from “pop it out with a screwdriver” to “you have to take off the wheel and push from inside.”

I’ve not seen a definitive statement: how difficult is it to remove the Tesla cap kit to reinstall the stock Gemini covers? I know it comes with a lug cap puller, but for the logo center cap, I’ve heard everything from “pop it out with a screwdriver” to “you have to take off the wheel and push from inside.”

Takes 2 seconds to remove the center cap with a suction cup.

• Informative
Reactions: Darblish
View attachment 563157

Was actually easy to do. Took about...an hour. You don't have to be precise with it at all...you only see the outside edge of it. Well....maybe if you have your aero covers off frequently you will want to spend more time on it but I didn't.

I bought rvinyl black 3m 2080 vinyl, 1'x5', $16 on amazon. I cut 5' by 1/2" strips. If you stretch the strips just slightly as you put them on, 5' will cover the whole outside edge. Easy to put on...took more time to clean the wheel and cut the strip than putting them on. I used a heat gun...but....I don't think it did anything special vs just using my fingers to press the vinyl on.
Very nice! Just wondering, did you use a special color of Plastidip? It looks darker and more glossy than the regular Plastidip.