Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Solid Black vs Obsidian Black Metallic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MX a few days ago and noticed they had a OBM Model 3 parked right next to a Solid Black Model S.

From a distance, the colors looked very similar. Upon closer inspection, I felt the Solid Black would be a better choice for those considering a "true" black car (in addition to being cheaper). The flakes in the OBM didn't pop as much as I thought they would.

Anyway, I snapped a few pictures from a couple different angles for comparison.

Attachments

• 20180823_122425.jpg
    20180823_122425.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 8,229
  • 20180823_122334.jpg
    20180823_122334.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 1,842
  • 20180823_122346.jpg
    20180823_122346.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 1,802
You have to be right on top of it to see the individual flakes sparkle in the sunlight, closer than even those photos. It's also pretty clear why the Solid Black is the type of black that'll show just about any dust or soiling in the direct sun where as the flakes of the OBM do a great job of camouflaging that.

Last edited:
OBM looks good only when it's washed. Once dust sits on it then it looks like a normal black Model 3. I saw them both side by side at the Tesla Performance event and all Tesla employees told me not to spend the $1,500 since it looks like the free black. I agree, because I couldn't tell the 2 dusty black cars apart from 6 feet. Also, I prefer the regular black when it's washed because of the mirror like reflection. OBM is not as deep.

I picked up my MX a few days ago and noticed they had a OBM Model 3 parked right next to a Solid Black Model S.

From a distance, the colors looked very similar. Upon closer inspection, I felt the Solid Black would be a better choice for those considering a "true" black car (in addition to being cheaper). The flakes in the OBM didn't pop as much as I thought they would.

Anyway, I snapped a few pictures from a couple different angles for comparison.
Thanks very much for posting this....first side by side comparison I’ve seen.

OBM looks good only when it's washed. Once dust sits on it then it looks like a normal black Model 3. I saw them both side by side at the Tesla Performance event and all Tesla employees told me not to spend the $1,500 since it looks like the free black. I agree, because I couldn't tell the 2 dusty black cars apart from 6 feet. Also, I prefer the regular black when it's washed because of the mirror like reflection. OBM is not as deep.

I respectfully disagree. I really believe OBM will hold up better in the long run. Before I decided on OBM I went to a local SC and found two Model S on the lot in for service, one was basic black and the other was OBM. The vehicles looked about the same age and we're relatively near each other in terms of VIN. The basic black showed every single rock chip and swirl while I personally think the OBM hid it much better but it's all subjective. I will concede that from a distance they are difficult to decern between and even the Tesla employee couldn't tell me from a distance which was which. For me it was worth the 1K difference when I placed my order, I do think 1.5K is pushing it in terms of value.

I got my Model S in OBM.
If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the solid black.
OBM is very nice but noticable only when close up, and if it's sunny out. Otherwise, it is very difficult to tell the difference between solid black if you are far away.