Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[pics] Upgraded factory projector HIDs to aftermarket Laser projectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sad I have LEDs, otherwise I would totally do this on my car.
IMHO this projector setup is way clearer and brighter than the factory matrix LED ones given the loan cars I've driven.. so if I had an LED car I'd most likely end up buying a set of pre-facelift headlights (since they're like dirt cheap on ebay these days) and retrofitting the car with it. Also less issues with the LED DRL going yellow on the older style projectors.. obviously that would only work on an S

Reactions: FlatSix911
IMHO this projector setup is way clearer and brighter than the factory matrix LED ones given the loan cars I've driven.. so if I had an LED car I'd most likely end up buying a set of pre-facelift headlights (since they're like dirt cheap on ebay these days) and retrofitting the car with it. Also less issues with the LED DRL going yellow on the older style projectors.. obviously that would only work on an S

yeah the lights are pretty terrible on the X.

Sorry late reply. Not on the HID (pre-facelift) cars. The HID Ballast was basically analog, straight 12Vdc for low and high beam. The car also never detected a change in current draw or threw a code. In fact the car's been to the service centre multiple times for different things since, not one single tech have noticed/commented it's got a different headlight in it 🤣

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
I still can't see the pics referred to in the original post... are they rehosted somewhere else?

Very curios as this sounds like a nice upgrade and I have a headlight acting wonky...

It seems TMC is suggesting to upgrade your account, here is a screenshot…

88030C3A-7758-4E16-A4E4-4B00F1334A6E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ngng
Just reposting pics in case anyone's still looking.
  • The projector module itself

• Modified the low beam shield for RHD region since the projector was originally LHD

• After the projectors were modified and ready to go in, the headlights themselves were disassembled (refer to other links/YT videos on how-to)

• Polycarbinate lens removed from the headlights (this was the hardest part of the job IMO

• This was Low beam BEFORE the modification

• This was High beam BEFORE the modification

• This was the low beam AFTER the modification

• This was the high beam AFTER the modification

From what I can gather, people have only tried installing facelift headlights onto older cars and required CAN coding (suggesting the wiring harness is largely compatible?), i havent seen any references of people going the other way round of installing projector headlights on a facelift car.
If I had a facelifted car, I'd probably buy a pair of projector headlight assy's off ebay for peanuts and try this instead, the laser/led projectors are WAYYYY brighter and sharper than the facelift LEDs.. I drove a loaner with it at night once and couldn't wait to return the car.

I paid for the subscription access and still cannot view pics?????

I have the 35w setup. It’s good. Though, the DRLs are unbearable… cosmetically, it makes the car look very old.

Attachments

• 1AF737BC-09AA-47B9-B1B7-EA20C30A9A31.jpeg
    1AF737BC-09AA-47B9-B1B7-EA20C30A9A31.jpeg
    976.8 KB · Views: 35