TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Picture of accessory hitch 1.25"

Discussion in 'Model X' started by scottf200, Oct 1, 2015.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

2. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

I am a little curious about how the bike rack that was demoed works. It looked like the kid just put the rack into the accessory hitch without any pins or bolts to hold it in place.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

So, if you get the Class III hitch, will the accessory rack not fit? I would hope you could order the rack to fit either size.

4. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I noticed that too and my best guess was that the pins were spring loaded. I thought I even heard it snap in place.

5. brkaus

brkaus Member

It looks like the demo was missing accessories to actually attach the bike/ski/etc to the rack.

6. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

Yeah, that was strange. It looked like some abstract metal sculpture sticking out of the back of the car, lacking any straps to hold a bike down. The bike seemed to be carefully balanced on something that looked like an afterthought.

7. 7racer

7racer Member

It would suck if those of us with the towing I g hitch option don't get to use the accessory hitch!!

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

DON'T WORRY!!!!

There are scores of adaptors that allow smaller receivers to fit into larger ones - i.e., a 1.25" to go into a 2". It is only the other way around that is awkward, probably illegal, highly dangerous and unlikely to be found.

9. wnowlin

wnowlin New Member

Class II or Class III?

I'm confused. The photo above shows a 1.25" square hitch receiver. That probably means it is Class II: 3,500 lbs. gross trailer weight and 350 lbs. max. weight on the tongue. Yet we were told at the event that the MX can tow up to 5,000 lbs. That would have to be Class III: 2 inch square receiver, 6,000 lbs. gross trailer weight and 600 lbs. max tongue weight. Is it an option to get a Class III hitch receiver?

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yes, you can configure the X with no receiver, 1.25 accessory receiver or the tow package which has a 2" receiver.

11. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

The Class III hitch comes with a 7-pin wiring harness and a "trailer mode" in the software. The version of the Model X with the Class II may not have the software or wiring harness. I'm just speculating. I guess we will find out soon enough.

12. sigurdi

sigurdi Member

The first picture looks like a 1.25inc inside a 2inch receiver

13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I think it is just hard plastic. See the cover on the ground.

14. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

It seems like the Tesla-supplied bike/ski rack is supposed to be flush with the plastic piece for aerodynamic reasons and be structurally supported by the 1.25" receiver.

15. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

16. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I suspect you're right, but for the quick connect system that Tesla has developed for the X I don't think those generic aftermarket products will work.

17. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Here are another two photos of Elon's Model X accessory hitch.

Covered.jpg Uncovered.jpg

The green and red bottle colors remind me of boating lights, an appropriate backdrop considering the optional Tow Package used for nautical activity.

18. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Member

is that the accessory hitch that comes with the extra tow package? or is that what you get with the car and you do not select the extra tow package?

19. MX458Dave

MX458Dave Member

Seems like there is a no hitch option, a 1.25 option, and a 2". Here is a pic I took of the hitch that pulled the airstream.

By the way, every car seen at the reveal was still a prototype or founders. We had 50 people attacking the airstream one backstage when someone came up and freaked out and kicked everyone out and said it was a $3.2M prototype.

image.jpg

20. markb1

markb1 Active Member