Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picture Shows Carbon Fiber Front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else ever noticed the picture of the front apron on the control screen is carbon fiber? I never noticed this before. Can anyone with an 85 confirm if the apron is carbon? Is this picture maybe only on the P85 cause when they originally had the P85 package it was supposed to include front and rear carbon fiber, than Tesla changed it before production.

Here's a picture of mine....kind of fuzzy but its 100% carbon fiber....

2013-11-20 23.30.14.png

In case you hadn't seen this before:
Get Amped Tour: News from the Road | Blog | Tesla Motors

have also dedicated a lot of time to reviewing the cars after each test drive event. As a result, we have identified an appearance and durability issue that we are addressing right away. The carbon fiber front lower valence and rear lower diffuser on Performance cars is not demonstrating the level of durability we had hoped for. After three Get Amped weekends, these two carbon fiber elements are showing scratches and debris chips beyond what we feel are acceptable for the amount of time the cars have been in service. Carbon fiber is known for looking good and being incredibly rigid and strong, but it’s also known for being a bit brittle and susceptible to cracking, especially if bumped into a curb or parking lot block. We are taking action on this immediately. We will be installing solid black front lower valences and rear diffusers on all Performance cars going forward. We used this same solid black material on Roadster, so we know from experience that it looks great and offers very predictable durability. The carbon fiber rear spoiler has shown no signs of wear, and will remain an option on Performance vehicles.

Now that I've shared with you something that you might not have known...

I now have a question that I don't know the answer to:
This blog post was from July 12, 2012. Did performance Founders vehicles have the carbon fiber in these original locations?

The historian in me is a little embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this question.

Workaround, not solution. Also that's a wrap right?

No, it's not a wrap. It's an overlay of CF cloth with multiple layers of resin sanded smooth and then clearcoated. In other words, the real thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I love how the CB looks. Gotta have it but not willing to spend 5000 on a pure esthetical feature.

I paid $2K for the CF overlay on the rear valence. I decided to not to the front because so little of it is visible.

So this is a (yet another?)/n example of something the collector market might reasonably value a Founder vehicle above a Signature vehicle for. Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

This is standard on any car without the Tech Package (also the little chrome tipped fins below the headlights are black on non-tech cars), but I wouldn't think a Sig being delivered at the launch event would've been configured without the Tech Package.
Correction: Founder's car, not Sig car, at the launch event in the video that michiganmodels linked.

That said, I was under the impression that the entire Founder's set had the Tech package (just like the entire set of Signatures do) as well.