Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picture Shows Elon Musk’s Roadster Prepared for Mission to Mars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this month, Elon Musk tweeted that Falcon Heavy’s “payload will be my midnight cherry Tesla Roadster playing Space Oddity,” referring to a song by David Bowie. “Destination is Mars orbit. Will be in deep space for a billion years or so if it doesn’t blow up on ascent.”

Now, a photo suggests he wasn’t joking.

[Updated: Musk has shared official photos to Instagram]

Screen-Shot-2017-12-22-at-5.19.25-PM.png
Musk’s Roadster is perched on Falcon Heavy’s “payload attach fitting” (PAF).

Musk recently commented on Twitter that pictures would becoming soon.

Details of Falcon Heavy’s maiden launch are murky, but it’s expected to take place next month.

The Falcon 9 rocket currently used by SpaceX consists of a core first stage booster and a second stage. Falcon Heavy is expected to be the most powerful rocket in the world, leveraging two additional Falcon 9 first stages.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting. I really thought he was joking because I didn't realize SpaceX has an upper stage capable of trans-Mars Injection with this kind of payload?
He was never joking.

It’s relatively light compared to the maximum payload that an FH can lift. So apparently it is capable of putting the Roadster into the “a precessing Earth-Mars elliptical orbit around the sun.”

A good article about this is at Elon Musk says SpaceX will try to launch his Tesla Roadster on new heavy-lift rocket – Spaceflight Now

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
This is interesting. I really thought he was joking because I didn't realize SpaceX has an upper stage capable of trans-Mars Injection with this kind of payload?

Just to be clear it isn't going to insert into mars orbit, it will stay in a heliocentric orbit (orbiting the sun) with an apogee near the orbit of Mars and a perigee near the orbit of Earth. That doesn't take much deltaV to achieve.

But Theoretically you could sent cargo to Mars surface using Falcon Heavy. Just not much, Wikipedia says Payload to Mars 16,800 kg (37,000 lb). And that is gross, so whatever landing system you use eats into the cargo amount.

Just to be clear it isn't going to insert into mars orbit, it will stay in a heliocentric orbit (orbiting the sun) with an apogee near the orbit of Mars and a perigee near the orbit of Earth. That doesn't take much deltaV to achieve.

But Theoretically you could sent cargo to Mars surface using Falcon Heavy. Just not much, Wikipedia says Payload to Mars 16,800 kg (37,000 lb). And that is gross, so whatever landing system you use eats into the cargo amount.
Thanks, that makes a lots more sense :)

To get from transfer orbit (planned for the Roadster) to Mars surface, space ship needs heat shield for aerobraking in atmosphere and rockets for landing. Mars atmosphere is so thin that rockets are needed after parachutes.