Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of 245/45/18 tires on aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to order a Model 3 and I prefer the comfort and range (and price ;)) of the 18 inch wheel. From the pictures in this thread (Wider Pilot Sport 4S tires on stock 18-inch wheels installed and tested) it seems the 245/45/18 tire really helps the visual impression of the wheel with a wider more aggressive stance and perhaps also just filling the wheel arch gap a tiny bit more since the wheel diameter is 0,4" larger.

I would really like to see more pictures of this solution - or just hear first hand impressions. Does it make a visual difference?

Have you tried talking to the tire suppliers ?
Seems they might have a lot of experience. IF you do let us know.
Also check YouTube channel Tech Forum He got custom wheels/tires and springs on his RWD Model 3 and made an informative video clip.
He has good technical and testing data for an owner.

Tech Forum

I am about to order a Model 3 and I prefer the comfort and range (and price ;)) of the 18 inch wheel. From the pictures in this thread (Wider Pilot Sport 4S tires on stock 18-inch wheels installed and tested) it seems the 245/45/18 tire really helps the visual impression of the wheel with a wider more aggressive stance and perhaps also just filling the wheel arch gap a tiny bit more since the wheel diameter is 0,4" larger.

I would really like to see more pictures of this solution - or just hear first hand impressions. Does it make a visual difference?

You’re not really going to see the difference with that extra 10mm. Not what you asked for, but here’s a side by side comparison of something similar. 225/45r18 on an 8” and an 8.5”.

F69D4A59-6BC6-4A28-AF90-130A45483780.jpeg
A2B986C4-4E4B-44E1-BE18-37EF92F3C0F4.jpeg
FDE37614-9F2C-46A4-86A6-4BB3E5BF2C51.jpeg
FFA47EF2-93C0-44A4-A1AB-3E9CD2054BFF.jpeg

so a couple of things...

10mm width increase equates to 5mm on both sides (even split), so to another poster's point, you're not going to see a dramatic increase in width/aggression. additionally, messing with the width, without taking in to account the height of the tire will throw the wheel rotation off by a percentage. there are calculators on various tire websites to demonstrate this.

if you desire a more aggressive tire look, you have a few options:
1. wheel spacers. these add bulkness to your axle and can alter the geometry of your suspension. use with caution. (cheapest option)
2. different offset. swap the wheels out for another with a more aggressive offset. doing this will push the wheel out.
3. wider rim/offset combined. this is the "best" method and likely the costliest of the three, but will maintain most of the suspension's geometry, afford you the advantage of maintaining a similar wheel rotation and provide you with the aesthetics you're looking for. (most expensive option as you will need new tires + new wheels).