Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Tesla web site describing the EAP option:

"The enhancements include going from one to four cameras for increased accuracy."

Also, the electronic software tax exemption is for software programs delivered electronically, not in physical form. The EAP software is delivered with your car, it is only activated remotely.

The fact is that they charge sales tax for it. Complain all you want, you'll still have to pay the tax.
Wrong again: the software is delivered electronically, over the air. It is also pre-delivered electronically to the car when you purchase the car. Does California charge for software you buy separately but the computer store installs for you as a service on the new computer they're selling you?

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
It's been 30 posts since I have seen a picture of a Model 3 ;)

Hush now, this is interesting.

So if I drive to Nevada or Oregon and THEN buy the OTA upgrades shouldn't I pay sales tax for those locales, like if I got a candy bar?

What if I got the car with NO OTA upgrades and then register the car, don't I pay less for my registration? Then do the upgrade when I get home from the DMV?

-Randy

• Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
Hush now, this is interesting.

So if I drive to Nevada or Oregon and THEN buy the OTA upgrades shouldn't I pay sales tax for those locales, like if I got a candy bar?

What if I got the car with NO OTA upgrades and then register the car, don't I pay less for my registration? Then do the upgrade when I get home from the DMV?

-Randy
Nope, if you don't pay sales or use tax in one state, you are gonna' have to pay it in another.

So if I am driving my Calif delivered car through New Jersey and decide to have the OTA upgrade - who can claim the sales tax, if any?
IIRC CA tax filing asks if you've made purchase out of state that doesn't charge sales tax, like over the internet. Maybe it was a couple years ago that I used to look up my Amazon purchases and report them just to be safe. I'm guessing that out of state purchase would fall in the same category, you state of residency would claim the tax. So you may still have to report and pay CA sales tax unless if you actually change your state of residency during the time of your purchase.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I've read taxes are based on state of residency as well. Course, someone can change that on their account, but don't be surprised if that comes back to bite you later.

In terms of the EAP software, even if the activation is OTA, the software is still present when you purchase it. Even if Tesla completely separated it from the safety systems software, and sent it over the net to the car after purchase, my guess is it would still be taxed because it doesn't appear to be a prewritten program as defined by law, which is a distinct product offered for general or repeated sale or lease.

Regulation 1502

(9) PREWRITTEN PROGRAM. A program held or existing for general or repeated sale or lease. The term also includes a program developed for in-house use which is subsequently offered for sale or lease as a product.

If at some point, Tesla starts selling EAP v13.8.1 for BMW, Ford, GM, and Tesla vehicles 2021 and newer, and you as a user can download and install said software on whatever you want, then that might not be taxed.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Soooo, are there anymore deliveries happening or did it kind of stop after the New Year. I kinda thought we would be seeing more not less deliveries if they are doing a 1000 cars per week. Did I miss something?

I think fewer of the people taking delivery now are on TMC. (And look at it this way only: ~20 people have registered their Model 3 firmware upgrade on ev-fw out of the ~2,000 that have been delivered.)

So I just think "normal" people are getting them. (or they are too busy having fun driving them to come post on TMC.)
Someone just posted that they took delivery 2 days ago: Model 3 - whee!

And someone else just posted that they took delivery today: Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

To keep things on-topic:
20180106_140659-jpg.271591

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.