Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I think you are wrong. I think Tesla had a bunch of sequential plates and put them on the first batch of Model 3s that got delivered over 6 months ago.

If you go to the DMV and ask for a plate on your new car they tend to give you a newer sequence, but a manufacturer / "dealer" can have pre-ordered blocks of plates and assign them when they are ready.

Sure, but 7A indicates that these are from much longer ago than last summer, meaning these may have come off of another Tesla company car and, thus, *could* suggest that this is a new Performance test car rather than simply being Franz’s single-digit-Series VIN from July 28.

I’m curious about this car regardless! :)

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Maybe it works differently in California, but in every east coast state I've lived in, you could transfer any plate to any car. So just because it starts with "7A" might just mean the plate was transferred from another car (even privately owned). That could just be Franz's plate from another car he transferred to his existing M3. No conspiracy theories needed.

I don't think those plates were transferred from other cars, but rather first assigned to those Model 3s.

With the original Model S deliveries there were a bunch that came with "6USX###" plates right at delivery.
(Starting with 6USX000)
I had assumed that meant that Tesla did CA registration services for those VIPs getting their cars for California.
In California there are special branches of DMV offices just for dealers and I think they can pick up plates in bulk batches ahead of time to assign to cars when they are ready.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/dmv/offices/servicecenters
(I wish the Mountain View office was still a 'field office' for regular public customer transactions, but they converted it to an 'IBC', so I have to drive further for my own DMV transactions.)

When the first Model 3s were delivered, I noticed a bunch of them had 7ATS9## plates assigned to them soon after delivery.
I assume those were provided to Tesla employees who asked someone internal who handles CA DMV registrations to assign a plate for them.
I imagine there is someone at Tesla with a drawer full of sequential CA plates, and they can assign them to vehicles when asked.
Also, by the way, I noticed some of the 7ATS9## plates getting assigned to new Model S around the same time as the first model 3s got delivered.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Except a CA plate beginning with 7A would be from quite a while ago (they’re into the 8’s now). As in, long before Model 3 started production. So I wonder if this plate is pulled off of another Tesla, or something. Point is there’s no way that plate goes with ANY Model 3. I realize it’s not proof of anything one way or another, but just food for thought...

All I am saying is that I don't think that the necessary homologation has been completed for a AWD, or performance, version of the Model 3 for it to have normal plates on it. (As far as we know the only Model 3 that has completed all of that is the "first production" long range version.)

If a true P-AWD car was spotted being tested, I would expect it to be on the Tesla Manufacturer plates, not Franz' personal plates.

Clearly he has had the brake calipers (and rotors and wheels?) changed on his car.
Are they different, or did he just have the calipers painted red?
Did they put a front motor in it too? I supposed that is possible.

People may be speculating too much about what this means.

I think some new AWD VINs showing up in the NHTSA database, and the underbody AWD picture in the new configurator are more telling that they are getting ready for AWD. The photos of Franz' car at the Supercharger may be a "red herring".

When the first Model 3s were delivered, I noticed a bunch of them had 7ATS9## plates assigned to them soon after delivery.
I assume those were provided to Tesla employees who asked someone internal who handles CA DMV registrations to assign a plate for them.
I imagine there is someone at Tesla with a drawer full of sequential CA plates, and they can assign them to vehicles when asked.
Also, by the way, I noticed some of the 7ATS9## plates getting assigned to new Model S around the same time as the first model 3s got delivered.

Ah OK, thanks for that clarifying bit of info. If first-run Model 3s were given 7A plates, then that is pretty strong evidence that this probably isn’t a Performance car, but rather Franz’s personal car with painted calipers and 20-inch wheels added later. Cheers TEG!

Ah OK, thanks for that clarifying bit of info. If first-run Model 3s were given 7A plates, then that is pretty strong evidence that this probably isn’t a Performance car, but rather Franz’s personal car with painted calipers and 20-inch wheels added later. Cheers TEG!

Now all I am saying it that I think it is the same car... That doesn't preclude the possibility that they have done modifications to the drivetrain. I am guessing it is still stock RWD, but we can't tell that by looking at the outside. It ~might~ have special performance mods we can't see. Just not a given.

Last edited:
Looks like this is the best place to post this.
I went to pick up my car today at he Palm Springs service center and saw 5 Model 3s.
They told me I could look but I couldn’t touch them or open the doors and look inside.
Crazy,
I hadn’t seen a Model 3 in person until I saw these 5 on Friday. Then on Saturday I saw my sixth at the Kettleman Supercharger. The Employee Owner showed off the interior.
Interior:
Exterior:

Seen heading towards the Tesla factory today around 8AM - I guess the wife got one too ;)
IMG_6938.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.