Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Dirty"...

Se this RC testing sub-zero package/AWD? in NZ. ;)
Tesla Model 3 - In winter (Queenstown, New Zealand.) • r/teslamotors

VIN: 5YJ3A1E149FR00058
36111779800_7e4e5dfb5e_o.jpg
VIN would indicate that it's

5YJ - Built by Tesla
3 - Model 3
A - 5 Dr Hatchback (hmmmmm)
1 - Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
E - Electric
1 - Single Motor – Standard
4 - Check Digit
9 - Model Year 2009 - Well that's strange
F - Built in Freemont
R00058 - Serial Number (starts with R for RC?)

Compare the NZ VIN to a typical US VIN:

NZ: 5YJ3A1E1*9FR
US: 5YJ3E1EA*HF0

Yes, very strange with the 9 for the year.
And we haven't seen any US "RC" cars with an R there.
And is has motor code 1 not A... I think we think of 1 as a Model S motor, not a new 3 motor.
So, yeah, peculiar VIN on that one.

I suppose you could go either way calling a Model 3 a sedan or hatchback based on the trunk lid being a bit unconventional.

• Love
Reactions: techmaven
There are no differences in efficiency but they do ride firmer than regular tires.

Run flat tires tend to weigh more (inertia losses) and have worse rolling resistance (friction losses). I can't see how they could not hurt range/efficiency.

Every thread I've seen on them so far has said they were worse than the LRR alternative. Maybe if you are used to heavy tires that have crappy rolling resistance you wouldn't notice, but the inherent disadvantage would still be there.

Reactions: tracksyde
Concerning body panels, I keep wondering why this trunk line was placed where it was. The pic on the left is unmolested, the right is a photoshop that my OCD wants to be true. Yes, I've been looking at this car way too much.

View attachment 240395

I don't know if it lined up on the prototypes but they did at one point enlarge the trunk opening by popular demand. The reason they don't line up is the bottom portion lifts up when the trunk opens and that gap is right where the hinges are hidden.

Blame those of us that wanted a hatch and got a trunk instead.

Reactions: SageBrush
Run flat tires tend to weigh more (inertia losses) and have worse rolling resistance (friction losses). I can't see how they could not hurt range/efficiency.

Every thread I've seen on them so far has said they were worse than the LRR alternative. Maybe if you are used to heavy tires that have crappy rolling resistance you wouldn't notice, but the inherent disadvantage would still be there.

You're just another person whose poor opinion of them was solidified by older generation products and continued bias.

As I've said repeatedly they have pros and cons. The biggest advantage they have is that you don't have to change a spare or wait on roadside assistance in most situations.

Goop and an inflators? Sure, they work pretty well, and don't save you any money. Shop will charge you to degoop the tire & rim and it's not cheap. In many cases TPMS sensor is ruined.... so often on par with the cost of replacing a punctured run flat. Newer Michelin run flats can be repaired unless it's sidewall damage.

Fuel economy? This one gets thrown around a lot as if it is an inarguable fact, but the reality is that in current generation products the differences are minor.

Don't believe me, trust your "many threads" you've read? Well, here's what GM says;

GM also said run-flats are 20 to 40 percent heavier than a conventional tire because of a thicker sidewall. They also have higher rolling resistance, so they reduce fuel economy by about 1 to 2 percent, GM says.

1-2% which is in line with what I said and is similar to fuel economy losses from other causes like larger rims.

I have driven plenty of high performance cars both with and without run flat tires, including newer 911 and Vettes, but I'm sure the Prius crowd is way more knowledgeable about tire tech in current gen high performance cars.

Traditional tires are preferable to me, and as I've said repeatedly I don't recommend running run flat tires on a vehicle that doesn't have a suspension tuned for them.

Run flats have their place, such as getting a flat and being able to limp up to 50-75 miles on the tire without having to stop... which in some cases is inconvenient and in others is dangerous.

You're just another person whose poor opinion of them was solidified by older generation products and continued bias.

You're just another person that will believe a power point presentation or press release over scientific data.

Bridgestone DriveGuard: Adding Peace of Mind to Your Car

-5.5% MPG Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT vs Michelin Primacy MXV4 O.E. as tested on a 2014 BMW F30 328i Sedan

"Coming as not much of a surprise, the Bridgestone DriveGuard showed lower observed fuel economy during our road ride. The extra rubber reinforcement in the sidewalls needed to provide extended mobility adds weight and stiffness, both of which take more energy to roll down the road, even when properly inflated."

Goop and an inflators? Sure, they work pretty well, and don't save you any money. Shop will charge you to degoop the tire & rim and it's not cheap.
FUD much ?

I repaired a Nissan LEAF tyre with their goop a few months ago. Five minutes and I was set to go. Repair at a local franchise a couple of days later was $26, and that included a replacement TPMS part the technician said I did not need but I bought anyway.

FUD much ?

I repaired a Nissan LEAF tyre with their goop a few months ago. Five minutes and I was set to go. Repair at a local franchise a couple of days later was $26, and that included a replacement TPMS part the technician said I did not need but I bought anyway.

Good for you. Buddy had a tire degooped and TPMS replaced on his Audi and it was $175.

Is the model 3 more like leaf or more like Audi A4?

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde
Model 3 with white interior

Isn't this option supposed to be available only in the fall according to the FAQ?

I'm waiting for a non black seating option, even if it's white and requires more care with things like blue jeans staining it.

Would it have killed the guy who took the picture to get a little closer and photograph the interior so we can see the color of the plastics and wood trim? :rolleyes:

Reactions: cdub
Status
Not open for further replies.