Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly not a hatchback, because of the horizontal shelf behind the rear seat,
making unpractical loading any large item, like a bicycle.
I don't know. Here's a quote from MotorTrend
The prototype’s trunk opening was criticized as too small; now it’s yawning. And at 15 cubic feet, with a very low lift-over and 60/40 folding rear seats, it looks hungry for a surfboard or a bike. (Franz assures me of this; he’s a cyclist.)

• Informative
Reactions: gavine and EinSV
I don't know. Here's a quote from MotorTrend

The prototype’s trunk opening was criticized as too small; now it’s yawning.
And at 15 cubic feet, with a very low lift-over and 60/40 folding rear seats,
it looks hungry for a surfboard or a bike. (Franz assures me of this; he’s a cyclist.)

Having a door trunk instead of a hatchback is absolutely no practical for a bicycle.

May be you can slide a surfboard from the back of the car until the board is completely inserted but
in the case of a bicycle, you cannot slide a bicycle because of the pedals on the side.

You need to lift the bicycle by holding the seat pole frame on the middle of the bicycle
until the bicycle is positioned all the way inside the trunk. Then you can lower the bicycle
into the trunk floor.

I experienced this problem while renting a car like a Honda civic sedan.
I had a lot of difficulty for putting my bicycle into the trunk and this was very painful for my back,
even if I have a very light aluminium bicycle.

Also with a hatchback it is easy to put two bicycles in the trunk, by putting them vertically or
on top of each other. However with a door trunk this would be basically impossible.

I don't like putting a bicycle on a car roof, as you cannot enter in a garage, if you
need to do some shopping. And I don't like to put a bike on the back of a car above the
rear bumper as you cannot leave your car parked in the street because of the risk of
vandalism. Even if the bicycle is not stolen, there is a risque that the saddle, front or
rear light, or other accessories can get stolen.

If you are environmentally concerned, such as driving an electric car or any other type of 'green' car,
I think that a bicycle is a good complement, but you need to be able to keep your bicycle with you,
all the time, and as such, as much as possible concealed inside your car.

Reactions: Richg
Having a door trunk instead of a hatchback is absolutely no practical for a bicycle.

May be you can slide a surfboard from the back of the car until the board is completely inserted but
in the case of a bicycle, you cannot slide a bicycle because of the pedals on the side.

You need to lift the bicycle by holding the seat pole frame on the middle of the bicycle
until the bicycle is positioned all the way inside the trunk. Then you can lower the bicycle
into the trunk floor.

I had a lot of difficulty for putting my bicycle into the trunk and this was very painful for my back,

Also with a hatchback it is easy to put two bicycles in the trunk, by putting them vertically or
on top of each other. However with a door trunk this would be basically impossible.

I don't like putting a bicycle on a car roof, as you cannot enter in a garage, if you
need to do some shopping. And I don't like to put a bike on the back of a car above the
rear bumper as you cannot leave your car parked in the street because of the risk of
vandalism. Even if the bicycle is not stolen, there is a risque that the saddle, front or

If you are environmentally concerned, such as driving an electric car or any other type of 'green' car,
I think that a bicycle is a good complement, but you need to be able to keep your bicycle with you,

Tesla has a strong commitment to make a single bike fit in the back.

Easily.

I see the need for a drag ramp on the lower rear corner of the rear seat back and a low friction tarp to protect the bumper and the drag ramp.

into the trunk floor.

Suggest you wait to see the car before assuming you can't put bicycle in.

Reactions: JeffK and 22522
I am SO happy that I already have a white interior that I spend all my time keeping clean to remind me that I don't really want a white interior, because that is REALLY good looking

-Randy

into the trunk floor.

Probably should test drive (and test load) before you jump to conclusions.

Motor Trend: "The prototype's trunk opening was criticized as too small; now it's yawning."

• Helpful
Reactions: tracksyde and EinSV
Ugh, wtf? I know that this has been mentioned a few times before... is it me or are the gaps between the panels all over the place?
Yes it is you, nobody else care I hope as it is a test car not a production model. ;P
/enough whinging about gaps on RCs please

-----------
Model 3 in SF today • r/teslamotors
4wTCH9T.jpg

UogOTJD.jpg

TlICifc.jpg

Uz8r61L.jpg

0mV7lY7.jpg

U0g1fZK.jpg

gPtA5gL.jpg

gyg5hio.jpg

BGRhG6b.jpg

J0uOYU7.jpg

qDdhS3y.jpg

VIN: 5YJ3E1EAXHF000011
ffvyUL2.jpg

Last edited:

Hey there! I'm with you on hatchbacks being more practical than trunks. But check this picture out:

MPQhDVBghS2Vv8sUab6BMlmLwv95GLQQPOV4cuhIQW_MPcgmUvA2QZI3OM2EgLTkH2YYOJHesvTg3aijnmbqelkndORunPtlh3ev2EE0wym85A854fcFrfU0EjG4HQpPPQ_EBkNyoYQ=w1200-h801-no

That trunk lid opens scaringly HUGE. Just like a hatch, the trunk lid won't be in the way. There's also a board at the bottom of that trunk that you can remove to carry taller things. And notice how the opening let's you carry things in and drop them inside the trunk, as opposed to having to push them inside the trunk too much.

All in all, I'm ok with this trunk/hatch hybrid (ewww I said 'hybrid').

Regards,
JR
PS: 73! Couldn't find your callsign on any lookup book. F1=France?

Hey there! I'm with you on hatchbacks being more practical than trunks. But check this picture out:

MPQhDVBghS2Vv8sUab6BMlmLwv95GLQQPOV4cuhIQW_MPcgmUvA2QZI3OM2EgLTkH2YYOJHesvTg3aijnmbqelkndORunPtlh3ev2EE0wym85A854fcFrfU0EjG4HQpPPQ_EBkNyoYQ=w1200-h801-no

That trunk lid opens scaringly HUGE. Just like a hatch, the trunk lid won't be in the way. There's also a board at the bottom of that trunk that you can remove to carry taller things. And notice how the opening let's you carry things in and drop them inside the trunk, as opposed to having to push them inside the trunk too much.

Regards,
JR
Will the hole in the floor line up with a handle bar?

Regards,
JR
Don't be hybrid-hatin'!

I don't know. Here's a quote from MotorTrend:

The prototype’s trunk opening was criticized as too small; now it’s yawning. And at 15 cubic feet, with a very low lift-over and 60/40 folding rear seats, it looks hungry for a surfboard or a bike. (Franz assures me of this; he’s a cyclist.)

Here's the thing.

THE TRUNK OPENING WAS NEVER AS SMALL AS PEOPLE WERE FREAKING OUT ABOUT. NEVER.

The trunk opening now is very close to how it was in March 2016. There are several small changes. But that's it.

What I'm saying is people were/are stupid.

While I think a bike can definitely fit in the trunk, it may take some wrangling. I'm just guessing. I obviously haven't tried fiting a bike in there myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.