Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of Roadsters being serviced in Menlo Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The green roadster there is an engineering car, pretty used and abused... especially the outside and inside. However its still running which I like to see :)

Those finger marks across on the back that wiped some of the dust were from me! The paint job on the back felt and looked like it was done with a spray can. Would be nice to just do that and not care. Pure test and utility.

i was also at the menlo park store yesterday and saw the green car:

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

i always feel ok posting pics of tesla's own project cars that i've asked to photo, but i am curious about the proper etiquette for posting pics of individual's roadsters being serviced. for example, i took a bunch of pics of another roadster undergoing an ESS replacement and some other cars being serviced (mostly since i assume someday when my roadster is long out of warranty i'll be able toe refer to these shots while doing my own service) but felt that posting detailed photos of these cars would somehow violate the owners' privacy.

thoughts?

Blur the plate and any unique stickers etc. Then it's OK to post IMHO.

i always feel ok posting pics of tesla's own project cars that i've asked to photo, but i am curious about the proper etiquette for posting pics of individual's roadsters being serviced. for example, i took a bunch of pics of another roadster undergoing an ESS replacement and some other cars being serviced (mostly since i assume someday when my roadster is long out of warranty i'll be able toe refer to these shots while doing my own service) but felt that posting detailed photos of these cars would somehow violate the owners' privacy.

thoughts?

Looks similar to the Model S motor. Liquid cooled perhaps?
No. That's the standard Roadster 2.x motor. Air is forced in that black band and goes through the cooling fins out the side. On earlier models they had an extra bronze colored shroud on the motor.

Though, that "Needs to be topped up with ATF" note is interesting.

ATF=antifreeze?
automatic transmission fluid?

What kind of oil are they using in the diff?

Though, that "Needs to be topped up with ATF" note is interesting.
ATF=antifreeze?
automatic transmission fluid?
What kind of oil are they using in the diff?

My guess wold be Automatic Transmission Fluid. I think that is sometimes used in special purpose gearboxes.
Automatic transmission fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...ATF is also used as a hydraulic fluid in some power assisted steering systems, as a lubricant in some 4WD transfer cases, and in some modern manual transmissions...

The ESS (battery/box) uses anti-freeze, but I think the ATF acronym is typically used for Automatic Transmission Fluid, not AntiFreeze.

My guess wold be Automatic Transmission Fluid. I think that is sometimes used in special purpose gearboxes.
Automatic transmission fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The ESS (battery/box) uses anti-freeze, but I think the ATF acronym is typically used for Automatic Transmission Fluid, not AntiFreeze.
Yeah, this was my point. I figured automatic transmission fluid, particularly since the note was on the transaxle end. Only humored with antifreeze because of Petefish's liquid cooled suggestion.

Not what I was looking at. The closeness of the motor to the jacket. Definitely closer than on my 2.5, and looks to have no visible cooling fins.
Looks normal to me. That black air duct is partially covering the motor. You have to look from the side to see the cooling vanes. :smile:

motor-01.jpg

I think the red "S" on the side indicates Sport motor...
That's been the speculation for a while. Though I thought there was a report of a non-Sport Roadster with a motor that still had that S on it. At any rate, I said "normal" to mean air cooled.