TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pictures of your Garage and Tesla(s)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sprediletto, Apr 26, 2012.

1. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

We hired a painter to freshen up our garage. Once he saw the Roadster and had a chance to drive it, he was inspired to create a very cool space to house our Roadster and future Tesla's. Tesla Motors helped out with the paint color for the doors and the final product was unveiled last night. He did an exceptional job and the Rangers will feel right a home during their next visit.

photo-1.JPG

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Unfair neatness! That's not a populated garage. Drawers are not even in yet.

3. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

I'm going to keep it super clean and streamlined. Everything except for my drill press and table saw/dust collector will be stored in tall cabinets lining the back wall. The drawers are for the master closet he built us.

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

But, but...where's the beer fridge?

5. Adm

Adm Active Member

#5 Adm, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    And behind door number 2:

6. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

7. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Spred, honestly, do you think anybody is going to post pictures of their garage after seeing your masterpiece? My garage was more cluttered than that when brand new before we moved in:redface:.

8. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

The epoxy is from Sherwin Williams. The project started out simply enough; epoxy the floors. It took on a life of it's own once the crew started to implement their ideas. I was lucky to find an experienced and creative group of painters.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

:confused: Where do you find your painters? Most of the guys around here seem to have been sniffing their product too much...

10. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

#10 sprediletto, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
    Ha! The GC who built my house recommended a guy he uses for interior/exterior work. He's my age; 36, and very talented. I lent him the Tesla for an afternoon and he became my new best friend. He brought in a 4-man paint crew and they treated our home like it was their own.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

You can do this yourself.... It is not rocket science!!

Steps:

1. TSP Cleaner to remove all oil
    2. Acid Wash with Muriatic Acid diluted 50% with good ventilation
    3. Amonia Wash to remove remaining acid. Let dry 1 week
    4. Roll base color
    5. Apply colored paint chips while base color is still wet
    6. Apply clear top coat.

I did this to my last house while it was for sale. Once completed the house sold within a week. It looks really great when finished!!

12. Sig698

Sig698 Model S Sig Perf #698

We've done this across several houses we've lived in and it does look great, but doesn't last terribly long. Tires peel up the paint over a relatively short period of time (<1 year). This seems to happen every time, no matter how strictly we do the prep and no matter how high quality a product we use (and we always use 2 part epoxies).

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I have not had that problem whatsoever! Six garage bays now 5 years old, and two airplane hangars at ~12,000 square feet, and other than burn marks from welding, none has peeled, even with washing with a 3500 lb pressure washer at point blank range. The hangars are now 13 years old, and the coating is still perfectly intact. I used a product called Hardeck for the hangars, and a commercial epoxy as you described for my garage. I'll attach photos if anyone is interested.

It may be that your original concete for your garage did not have a proper moisture barrier placed before pouring. This creates continuous moisture leaching through and prevents proper bonding of the epoxy.

14. Sig698

Sig698 Model S Sig Perf #698

I'll have to look into the Hardeck, but I suspect you may be right about my original concrete. The strange thing is that the paint doesn't peel up in flakes, it looks more like it gradually wore down over time, as if I had taken some sandpaper across it every day.

15. strider

strider Active Member

Finally remembered to take a picture:
    IMG_0357.JPG

16. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

I like how your UMC drops from the ceiling. Does it retract when not in use?

17. strider

strider Active Member

I thought about rigging up a see-saw device like someone on this board but then realized a very short bungee cord hung from the garage door opener works just as well :)

18. jory

jory Member

19. augkuo

augkuo Member

20. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

mulder1231 mentioned RaceDeck. I went with RaceDeck when we moved into our house about 3 years ago. Cost for this garage, where my S will reside, plus a single car garage was about $2K for the tiles, which took my (70 year old) dad and I about 8 hours to install. I liked the ability to have carpeted walkways in the garage. You know, for those cold San Diego winters :wink:
    RaceDeck.jpg 2011-12-10 14.12.33.jpg