Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures & Video from the Model X Unveiling (02/09/2012)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, noticed that too. But, it may not have been CF - looked more like metal mesh to me. Was commenting to AnOutsider that something like that would add some pizzazz to the otherwise-bland Model S nose (the only part of the S that I'm not fond of).

Yes! I thought the same thing - put that on the Model S.

Maybe the Performance version will have it?

I visited the Tesla store at Fashion Island and they said the Model S Performance will have carbon fiber in the nose cone. But I don't know if they meant the whole bumper portion inside the cone or just a strip like we saw on the Model X (if it was CF).

So, I know I had posts reserved at the beginning of this thread, but things got a bit hectic and by now you guys have seen it all, so I'll just tack on a few things here I thought were interesting.

Video of the doors opening. You can see they do swing a bit wide as they get about halfway up:
[video=facebook;10150593258603680]https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150593258603680[/video]

Video of people climbing in the X and the doors closing (my wife wondered how you closed them, looks like there's a button on the B Pillar):
*in next post, apparently

pics of the Model X interior options. I liked how you could get patterns on the leather:

P1010042.JPG

P1010040.JPG

P1010041.JPG

I assume the Model X on display (and for rides) was the Titanium option shown below:
P1010039.JPG

This color is likely the Dark Bay color shown above:
P1010031.JPG

All in all, now that I've had time to digest it all, I like it. I put down a reservation being sort of "meh" on it. I think it's the doors that sort of kill it for me. When they're up, it just looks so weird and unnecessary. On the whole though, I like the looks (though, not a big fan of the grille), it felt roomy from what I can remember (though my seat wouldn't go back), and it had the feeling of riding high in an SUV, without actually being all that tall.

In this last video, you can get a good idea of the height as it drives through the crowd of people:
*in follow up post*

As others have said, I would have preferred styling closer to an FX or similar, but I feel much better about it now that I've had time to dwell on it. I've since upgraded my reservation to a signature (no number yet -- and I assume there will just be 1,000 again?).

Last edited:
one video per post, sorry:

Video of people climbing in the X and the doors closing (my wife wondered how you closed them, looks like there's a button on the B Pillar):
[video=facebook;10150593349923680]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150593349923680[/video]

Aaand, last video:

In this last video, you can get a good idea of the height as it drives through the crowd of people:
[video=facebook;10150593314608680]https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150593314608680[/video]

All in all, now that I've had time to digest it all, I like it. I put down a reservation being sort of "meh" on it. I think it's the doors that sort of kill it for me. When they're up, it just looks so weird and unnecessary. On the whole though, I like the looks (though, not a big fan of the grille), it felt roomy from what I can remember (though my seat wouldn't go back), and it had the feeling of riding high in an SUV, without actually being all that tall.

As others have said, I would have preferred styling closer to an FX or similar, but I feel much better about it now that I've had time to dwell on it. I've since upgraded my reservation to a signature (no number yet -- and I assume there will just be 1,000 again?).

I felt the exact same way! Put down the deposit but was not blown away. But upon reflection, I am getting much more excited! Model X Will Have Greater Comparative Advantage

I have a feeling that the doors on production will not swing out quite as far as they do on the prototype. The way I interpreted what I've heard so far makes me think that the design allows for them to only swing out 1 foot, but in practice they haven't gotten it down to that level yet.

May be those falcon doors are even better in rain then conventional doors?!

Those doors are going up and protect you from light rain, and at heavy rain, like in your video you do not open any door or you and the interior get wet with any kind of doors.

They rae unconventional and we are not used to them. But so was ( is ) an electric engine for the most drivers. So give those doors a warm wellcome and let's see how they work in real life!

On the DeLorean, neither the occupants of the car nor the interior get wet in the rain. The door acts as a complete canopy.

Even from windy rain? (i.e. coming at an angle from the front or rear?)

Home and work both have garages. A lot of the places I go have canopies or port cochere's or parking decks. If it's driving rain I generally don't load up the minivan (our current car) and head out.

With the falcon doors you can open your umbrella right above your head an instant after the doors go up -no need to hang out the opening and contort yourself to open it.

Also I would echo what the earlier Canadian poster said about snow. I'm parked in a garage most of the time but if I'm not then I just use the brush to brush the snow off - something I have to do for the side and back windows anyway.

I'm not really dissing the X in any way (though, while I do have garages, I recognize many people have to park outdoors in inclement weather). I was just wondering how well the DeLorean doors held up in the rain. Are we talking a drizzle? Straight down rain? Or can it actually handle when it's windy and raining? If so, then that bodes well for the X as well.

Call me a cheap Yankee, but I distrust relying so completely on fancy motors to open doors for me. I think of the times I've sprinted across a parking lot in the pouring rain, yanked open a car door, hurried in, and slammed the door behind. The stately open/close cycle of powered doors under such conditions would not be welcomed.

Call me a cheap Yankee, but I distrust relying so completely on fancy motors to open doors for me. I think of the times I've sprinted across a parking lot in the pouring rain, yanked open a car door, hurried in, and slammed the door behind. The stately open/close cycle of powered doors under such conditions would not be welcomed.

They are back doors. + you have the back hatch.