Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Piece fell off charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Came back from work and was plugging in my September 2018 P3D and a small part fell off the charge port door. Not broken. Simply looks like the glue that held it in place dried out. Charge port still seems to operate normally. Photos are attached. I feel like I could glue it back and avoid a SvC visit but then again I’m not sure what the piece does. Anyone else got this?

Attachments

• F67E7EB7-1942-4544-9917-460AA72A4639.jpeg
    F67E7EB7-1942-4544-9917-460AA72A4639.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 4A899D8B-85CB-4174-8E1C-E7D0C3BB4E5D.jpeg
    4A899D8B-85CB-4174-8E1C-E7D0C3BB4E5D.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 83
Believe it or not, that small piece is responsible for allowing you to push on the charge port door to open it. There are other threads talking about it.

When mine fell off, I was lucky to find it on the floor and re-glued it back on. It hasn’t fallen off in 5 months now. I don’t remember what kind of glue I used, but it was thick and sticky.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
I had the same thing happen, but it fell off somewhere where I did not see it or grab it. So I had a mobile tach come out to address it. The solution was to replace the entire charging door. I assumed the part could be reglued, but Tesla put in a whole new door. It only took about 45 minutes and it has been all good since.

Reactions: Dre78
I had the same thing happen months ago and still have the piece. Never saw it mentioned until this thread and haven't noticed any problems with the charging door.
Maybe because I never push on the charging door to open it. So just glued it back on tonight and voila it works!

I had no idea I could open the charge door by pushing in on it. I've never opened it that way.

But I just checked mine, my plastic thingie is still in there.

But if I did lose it, I would not even notice the difference so I wouldn't even care.

I normally use the button on the Wall Connector plug or I use the FOB.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Hey all. Came back from work and was plugging in my September 2018 P3D and a small part fell off the charge port door. Not broken. Simply looks like the glue that held it in place dried out. Charge port still seems to operate normally. Photos are attached. I feel like I could glue it back and avoid a SvC visit but then again I’m not sure what the piece does. Anyone else got this?

I tested mine yesterday with my fingernail and it came right off easily. Cleaned everything with alcohol and reattached using KrazyGlue. Worked great. Charge door works from screen, APP, charge handle and a direct push.