Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Piece of metal foil sticking out of car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I washed my car today and noticed a piece of metal foil (much thicker than aluminum foil, but still bendable) sticking out of the crack between two body panels at the bottom of the car. Pics attached. I am certain this has not always been there. Anyone have any idea what this is? I can't pull it out with my fingers. I'm not sure what it is attached to or what its for. Should I cut it off as close to the bodywork as I can, or what should I do about this? Nearest Service Center is two hours away, so I'm not going to take it there if this is just cosmetic and can be pulled out or cut off.

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpeg
    IMG_3273.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 69
I would send the pictures through the app to request service (mobile service if given the option). They should evaluate what needs to be done.

Others however have reported a similar thing. It looks to just be a piece of aluminum foil insulation for the rocker panel trim.
What is this? (metal/foil sticking from rocker panel/trim)

Lots of results looking at google:
foil sticking out model 3 - Google Search

If you trim it, I would be careful to protect the paint/panels and not scratch them. Others seemed to have suggested to poke it back into the slot using a toothpick. No one mentioned what the SC actually does if you report the problem to them.

I would send the pictures through the app to request service (mobile service if given the option). They should evaluate what needs to be done.

Others however have reported a similar thing. It looks to just be a piece of aluminum foil insulation for the rocker panel trim.
What is this? (metal/foil sticking from rocker panel/trim)

Lots of results looking at google:
foil sticking out model 3 - Google Search

If you trim it, I would be careful to protect the paint/panels and not scratch them. Others seemed to have suggested to poke it back into the slot using a toothpick. No one mentioned what the SC actually does if you report the problem to them.
Thanks for the link. Sounds like that is exactly what it is.